Pop 25th Anniversary Thread... What do you want?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miami and Pop Mart Bullet had so much swagger & funk to them. Brilliant stuff.

yes! incredible stuff. It made me go from feeling... meh, about Miami, to really liking and appreciating it. Would love to see another Popmart show released with Miami in the playlist.

An interesting article from the time done by Sight & Sound which goes in to the production and recording of the album.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/flood-howie-b-producing-u2s-pop
Interesting. Thanks for that! (Even though they incorrectly attributed the producer of Unforgettable Fire and got the date of Rattle & Hum wrong).

It's interesting that Flood says maybe 20-25% of the tracks include non-Larry samples, while Howe B says 95% of the drums on the album are Larry. I suppose the truth lies somewhere in between.

Anyway, my take on the Pop sessons:

-- Nellee Hooper = yes
-- Flood = YES
-- Howie B = NO

Whoops! As to the thread question.... I guess I don't want anything...?

The album is out there, as are its B-sides and remixes. So, we don't really need anything.

Whoops! As to the thread question.... I guess I don't want anything...?

The album is out there, as are its B-sides and remixes. So, we don't really need anything.

??

You're possibly the only one here...

There's not one album to be so curious about the development of songs. Early versions are definately great to hear for me. Then, this album needs a great remaster with 5.1 mix. U2 seems to be the only band not to do these mixes. Looks like the band has no interest in polishing their music.

of course i'd love for them to unlock the archives for this album - but we all know that's not happening. we'll likely get a remaster, some colorful vinyl releases, and a few dozen remixes of discotheque.

and they'll probably replay the mexico popmart show online for like a week before hiding it away again.

One would have to assume that U2 and Co. have a treasure trove of shit that was abandoned or reconfigured from the Pop! sessions. It would be cool hearing their creative process like a Beatles Anthology type of thing. But, by that point (95/96), "The Beatles" were still looking to squeeze more juice from the same orange. I don't think U2 needs to do that...yet. Lol!

I still have my Pop! concert tee and still fits well. Luckily, I bought an XL even though i was an L at the time. Oh shit, that's a perfect quote line. :reject:

??

You're possibly the only one here...

There's not one album to be so curious about the development of songs. Early versions are definately great to hear for me. Then, this album needs a great remaster with 5.1 mix. U2 seems to be the only band not to do these mixes. Looks like the band has no interest in polishing their music.
Actually, you're right -- early versions of the songs would be really interesting.

But, do U2 ever release early versions of songs?? (They did with some of the reworked Atomic Bomb tracks, but those were more like "totally-finished-produced/mixed" tracks that were later slightly re-written than "early versions". )

Though the version they put online last year _did_ look really nice.

it looked great! it just should, ya know, still be online and not taken down after a week.

U2's live presence in the streaming world is sorely lacking. hopefully that changes soon. if that's why they pulled the concerts? ok, fine. but otherwise wtf guys?

For a band that was once so obsessed with being on the cutting edge sonically, they’re truly awful at being on the cutting edge with regards to online presence.

For example, why did the Virtual Road releases only contain 4 songs each? Why not just release the whole shows? It makes absolutely no sense.

At least leave them streaming on the website for fanclub members. Call it, like, an actual perk.

For a band that was once so obsessed with being on the cutting edge sonically, they’re truly awful at being on the cutting edge with regards to online presence.

For example, why did the Virtual Road releases only contain 4 songs each? Why not just release the whole shows? It makes absolutely no sense.

At least leave them streaming on the website for fanclub members. Call it, like, an actual perk.

agreed on both.

I don't own very many movies digitally, but I would re-buy Red Rocks, Sydney and Mexico City at least. Or finally pay for fan club after all these years if there was a streaming section. Ditto additional unreleased shows from over the years. There's just oodles of passive income these dumb boys could not be paying taxes on that they seem pretty okay ignoring.

There's some part of me that thinks there must be a clause in their Live Nation contract that they can't "open the vaults" until they're incapable of touring or something like that. You can't really build a tour and market it around demos, rarities and OTHER live shows.

I don't own very many movies digitally, but I would re-buy Red Rocks, Sydney and Mexico City at least. Or finally pay for fan club after all these years if there was a streaming section. Ditto additional unreleased shows from over the years. There's just oodles of passive income these dumb boys could not be paying taxes on that they seem pretty okay ignoring.

There's some part of me that thinks there must be a clause in their Live Nation contract that they can't "open the vaults" until they're incapable of touring or something like that. You can't really build a tour and market it around demos, rarities and OTHER live shows.
I highly doubt there's anything in their contract that would prevent that.

I am certain its down to the band and their incredibly high standards around what they see as being good enough to release to the public.

They maybe want to maintain these high standards and certainly not damage their reputation by releasing unfinished stuff and charging money for it, but that's not an argument anymore as they could just release anything they like digitally. Lots of musicians have said that the recording process is like watching paint dry and can't understand why fans would want to hear hours of unfinished stuff.

I am certain its down to the band and their incredibly high standards around what they see as being good enough to release to the public.

They maybe want to maintain these high standards and certainly not damage their reputation by releasing unfinished stuff and charging money for it, but that's not an argument anymore as they could just release anything they like digitally. Lots of musicians have said that the recording process is like watching paint dry and can't understand why fans would want to hear hours of unfinished stuff.

It's not only unreleased demos, they could give it an effort to remaster their songs in HD 5.1 mixes for the ultimate experience of this brilliant album. I just can't understand why they don't take more efforts to polish their music to high standards.
In my opinion they'd better work on polishing their catalogue rather than releasing mediocre pop-songs sounding like poor Elton John songs.

I remember the first time I heard "Miami", I was very confused. For awhile it was just Bono's voice and that strange backbeat. I actually thought one of my speakers was broken, and I was only getting audio out of one side. Thinking the guitar part must've been on the other channel. So I started giggling wires and listening closely, and it hits me that my speakers are fine. I was very unimpressed by that song, and it took me awhile to come around to it. I remember thinking "well they'll never play that one live". Much to my surprise at the Popmart show in Columbus that I saw, they did play it!! I remember being bored at that point in the show, until "Bullet" came in.

For the record, I was 15 during all of this, and Miami was a bridge to far for me. I eventually came to love the track.

All I gotta say is if the date passes with no fanfare (exactly what I'm expecting) then I'm getting my hands on that vinyl that has the download card for wav files so I can burn a remastered disc for myself. I don't even like vinyl, but I'll pay the price for those files since I can't seem to find any other way to get them. Then I'll have my own celebration, goshdarnit!

What do people think of the singles from Pop and how they were remixed. I think they sound so much better. Would be great if the whole album had sounded this way in the first place. Sonically they sound so much more interesting.

What do people think of the singles from Pop and how they were remixed. I think they sound so much better. Would be great if the whole album had sounded this way in the first place. Sonically they sound so much more interesting.

The single mixes for LNOE and Please are fine. They 'd gone too far with the remixes for this album. Songs are made unrecognisable and transferred to complete other songs. The Mofo remix used for the video (don't know all those remix names) is nice. I always love those extended versions from the 80's for example Pride and from the early 90's Lady with the spinning head.
Would 've loved an extended version of the original Gone!

Watched and recorded this live on VHS. Anyone else familiar? Maybe (or certainly) you're the other 2,600 views. (Maybe this clip has been linked ~2,600 times before. Apologies if that's the case.)

Christ this was good.

Great version indeed, based off the single version of the song. The addition of the guitar solo brings it to new heights.

That said, still like the vocals from the original album version, which is why the hybrid mix done a long time ago by someone, can't remember who, is the best thing related to Pop.

Back
Top Bottom