Pop ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, POP was no AB. It had all the makings of it, but just never hit as many high spots. Probably needed a few more cuts like "Mofo" to really seal the deal.

"I think the POP concept was heavier than the majority of the songs managed to pull off"

My sentiments exactly, only with more brevity. That being said, 75% of POP is perfection to these ears. The first three and the last three could not be improved, no matter how long they tried.

I :heart: Pop

Please is amazing&both Do You Feel Loved and If You Wear That Velvet Dress are sultry&sexy :drool::combust:

I think Miami&Playboy Mansion back to back :drool:

Pop is my favourite album by anyone, ever

I love every second of it. I wouldn't change a thing. It's the album that got me into U2 :heart:

My favourite track...probably Gone. Absolutely classic U2 song, and I think most people here would agree, even those that don't like Pop

it's a shame the general public doesn't appreciate Pop like we do. I remember in third grade (yes really) when I was really into the album some other kid told me he bought it and then threw it away :huh: :angry:

The only two cuts on POP that I'm not crazy about are "If God Would Send His Angels" and "Playboy Mansion." With "Angels," it's just kind of boring, and with "Playboy," the melody is rather pedestrian. That said, I LOVE the lyrics to both songs. Like I said before, I just wish POP had one or two more straight up electronica songs, like "Mofo," and if any song were to go, I say "Angels." But alas, the album is what it is. And as it stands, I think it's the last great U2 album.

Pop is my favourite album by anyone, ever

I love every second of it. I wouldn't change a thing. It's the album that got me into U2 :heart:

My favourite track...probably Gone. Absolutely classic U2 song, and I think most people here would agree, even those that don't like Pop

it's a shame the general public doesn't appreciate Pop like we do. I remember in third grade (yes really) when I was really into the album some other kid told me he bought it and then threw it away :huh: :angry:

I usually refer to Pop as the "forgotten masterpiece", and really is a shame that its only very popular on U2 fan forums.

POP is my favourite U2 album. I played that album daily from its release day all year long. Sometimes twice over daily. I've never gotten sick of it and it's the album I know most intimately... I just loved when I heard the songs for the very first time on a radio station, I actually saw colour emit from the speakers! For example I saw both Do you Feel Loved and Mofo emit yellow....

What surprised me when I opened the booklet eventually was that these songs lyrics were presented within that actual colour scheme...

My absolute favourite track on POP is Velvet Dress. That just takes me THERE. The slow beginning, Bono croaking out lyrics which then transitions into a melodic chorus vocal, just as the slinky bass slides in with a simple restrained direct drum beat. But magic hour is when all that stops and Edge comes in with his jazzy guitar solo and paints a starfield along with some crystal chimes!!! To which Adam compliments with Bass that smoothly shudders into the distance with the next chord... The song just builds with layers upon layers. I love it. A complete epic.

Listening to POP I knew I just wanted more of it. And my hopes were completely raised when I read in a music magazine that U2 was planning to release a companion album!!! To be entitled Rather Go Blind, the album was to be similar to Rattle and Hum with unused studio songs with live performances from Popmart. One of the studio songs set to be on the album was... City of Blinding Lights. I would love to hear what the POP version of that song is like... but alas it never came...

POP is my favourite U2 album. I played that album daily from its release day all year long. Sometimes twice over daily.

Same here, probably. I was 9 and it was all I wanted to listen to... and then I bought the Discotheque single and would listen to the remixes. That was the first CD I bought on my own.

Listening to POP I knew I just wanted more of it. And my hopes were completely raised when I read in a music magazine that U2 was planning to release a companion album!!! To be entitled Rather Go Blind, the album was to be similar to Rattle and Hum with unused studio songs with live performances from Popmart. One of the studio songs set to be on the album was... City of Blinding Lights. I would love to hear what the POP version of that song is like... but alas it never came...

Does anyone have anymore information on this? That would have been awesome.

U2 was on to something with POP. Something very unique, even to this day POP sounds so fresh and new.

Just want to add the pictures & booklet showcase so much of what Pop could have been. The different logos, Bono shaving his head, Larry blowing bubble gum, Adam relaxing, Edge looking like a hit-man really made U2 look like another band.

U2 was on to something with POP. Something very unique, even to this day POP sounds so fresh and new.

I never have heard anything about another album called "Rather Go Blind", I too would like to find out more and why it wasn't released. :sad:

I never have heard anything about another album called "Rather Go Blind", I too would like to find out more and why it wasn't released. :sad:

This is why I put it out there... to see if anyone has any more details about it!!! I mean, maybe with the perceived "failure" of POP, the band quietly shelved those plans :(

The more I listen to Pop, the more I realise it's a masterpiece. The editing in parts is poor (especially LNOE), but is the only real "unfinished" aspect in my opinion.

It is more rocking than most people think. Especially more than Bomb, the "rock" album that is quite meek.

I think one strength are Bono's lyrics. More considered, and often quite subtle. Listen to elevation after listening to Pop, and you'll see how Bono's lyrics have gone downhill since Pop. Then listen to boots to confirm. The Playboy Mansion is almost the best song on the album lyrically, particularly the bridge, very classy writing.

Lyrically outstanding, sonically daring- the only reason AB pips it to the post is that Bono's vocals weren't as good on Pop. Otherwise it runs it very close.

Back
Top Bottom