Please (Album) Vs. Please (Single)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Single probably, but I do like the album version as well. The single might have the fantastic ending added on, but the album version's instrumentation also stands out on its own. I've actually been listening to that version more as of late.

Album by miles - for reasons already mentioned above. It's all about the darkness and the musical intricacy. Single is good but too commercialized. Live was mindblowing... Glad we have all three versions to enjoy.

I love the song....in all its guises, apart from acoustic (mind you...thats true for all u2 songs for me)
If i had to pick.....well.......i think it will be the album version. The single tries to hard to copy the live version

I like them both. Seems like the band were trying to accomplish different things with the two versions. I prefer listening to the single version the most though, it feels more thought-out and rounded.

I have to vote for the album version. As LemonMelon said, the single version is over-wrought. The rawness of the album version captures the emotional rawness of the lyrics.

easily agree with my peeps barlow dog, scumbo, lastexittospringfield, elmel, earnie, et al. the album version is more stark, more haunting, really hits home. the single version adds elements to the song that throw it off, the strings in particular.

decent cover by Mr Costello.

pretty special live.

Back
Top Bottom