Playing the angel dismantling the bomb... some 3 to 4 yrs later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Before some smartass goes "another Bomb thread? :doh:", I want to say that I know there is another thread discussing the Bomb right now. But I still wanted to make this thread because I was listening to Depeche Mode's 2005 album Playing The Angel today after quite some time. And I realized that I have a slightly different opinion of it today than back then. I remember when it came out, there were a bunch of threads here and in B&C comparing it to Bomb. And of course, almost every thread starter said they preferred it to the Bomb! Since this is a U2 forum, we expected that. ;) Heck, even I preferred it to the Bomb for a while. But now that I've let both albums soak in for a few years, I realize that they're both pretty much on the same level. I'd give both around 3 or 3.5 stars. They're quite similar actually in some respects. The best song on both albums is at track 5: Precious and COBL. Both have songs with annoyingly loud intros: A Pain That I'm Used To and ABOY. Both have around 4 to 5 good songs in my opinion: John The Revelator, Suffer Well, The Sinner In Me, I Want It All, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Crumbs, Fast Cars. The other songs on Angel seem to be either plain boring like Macro, overly dramatic like Damaged People, too repetitive like Lilian or just pointless like Introspectre. The other songs on Bomb seem to be either cheesy or just mediocre. So yeah, that's my analysis circa December 2008. Curious to hear any thoughts from other DM fans. :wave:

Oh yea, a depeche mode thread. Now we're talking.

I actually remember that thread from long ago. I believe i even contributed to it.

I still feel that Playing The Angel is a lot better than the Bomb. Do I think Playing The Angel is an amazing album? Hell no, i'd say it's probably the worst album Depeche Mode has released since Construction Time Again. And that's saying something! However, the Bomb is not just the worst album U2 ever produced, but in my opinion one of the most musically unredeeming and unsatisfying album's I've ever heard by a longlasting famous band.

That said, the song "Precious" crushes any tune on the Bomb. The only songs I'd say I maybe enjoy a little less than a song or two off the Bomb is Introspectre and Damaged People.

If Fast Cars was actually on the universal release of the record, it would prob put Bomb up a notch or two. Still, it wouldn't be enough when faced against John The Revelator, Sinner In Me and I Want It All, which are all wicked awesome.

ozeeko, you forgot the brilliant Suffer Well.

Anyway, for me... I dunno, Angel does have some great songs especially the aforementioned four. But most of the rest I skip cos they bore me. I skip fewer songs on Bomb but it has fewer high points I think. It's more homogeneously mediocre throughout. And that kinda puts both albums at pretty much at the same level for me. Maybe Angel is like 0.5 stars higher but I'm not sure. It has it's share of filler and too many electronic bleeps! :crack: Nowhere near DM's best IMO.

Oh, I totally agree that Angel is nowhere near DM's best. And I hate the fact that it was so hyped up as the band's best since Violator. Come to think of it, they've said that about every album they've put out since Violator...with the exception of Songs of Faith and Devotion, since it actually was released right after Violator.

However, while there are boring songs abound on both the Angel and Bomb, I also find the Bomb songs embarrassing and verging on the pathetic, while on Angel some are just ehhh kinda boring. I'll take ehhh kinda boring anyday over "wow, this is pathetic."

What Bomb lacks is that one song that is just perfect, the instant classic that i can turn on and blast and just be in love with. Playing The Angel has that one song in "Precious", a song that manages to be a ballad and a dance song at the same time. Not to mention it is powerful in emotional in an understated, subtle sort of way, while on the Bomb Bono is trying wayyyy to hard to make us feeeel. He could take some lessons from Mr. Gore and the Gang.

What Bomb lacks is that one song that is just perfect, the instant classic that i can turn on and blast and just be in love with. Playing The Angel has that one song in "Precious", a song that manages to be a ballad and a dance song at the same time. Not to mention it is powerful in emotional in an understated, subtle sort of way, while on the Bomb Bono is trying wayyyy to hard to make us feeeel. He could take some lessons from Mr. Gore and the Gang.

:hmm:

While I agree on the subtlety point (Bono does come off trying too hard on the Bomb), I disagree that there is no song rivaling Precious. I think City Of Blinding Lights does a fine job. I've gotten over that one marginally cheesy line. :wink:

And stuff like Darkest Star.. do you even listen to it anymore? I know I don't. Whereas, Yahweh, at least the better alternate version I still love! Meh I dunno... both albums have their pluses and minuses.

:hmm:

While I agree on the subtlety point (Bono does come off trying too hard on the Bomb), I disagree that there is no song rivaling Precious. I think City Of Blinding Lights does a fine job. I've gotten over that one marginally cheesy line. :wink:

And stuff like Darkest Star.. do you even listen to it anymore? I know I don't. Whereas, Yahweh, at least the better alternate version I still love! Meh I dunno... both albums have their pluses and minuses.

Here's where we differ, cuz i've never liked City Of Blinding Lights, well...that's not totally true. I think i dug it the first time i heard it, but i wasn't thinking straight..it was a new U2 album and i was stoked. You always gotta give a new album of songs some time before it truly reveals itself to be good or bad. Needless to say, i ended up being very irritated by the song and it's horrendous production. Plus, it just felt like they were trying to cash in on some "Where The Streets" style, "anthemic, earnest, humble 80's U2" nostalgic sound....and failed miserably at that.

The Darkest Star is not one of my faves by the Mode. It is a long song that seems to go on forever without ever actually getting anywhere. However, thanks to it's tasteful arrangement and Gahan's voice, it's something i could at least mellow out to after a long day of work, whereas with Bomb it's almost like going to work everytime i play the album, for there are too many things that stand out and annoy me.

Depeche has a new album coming out as well. Hopefully they've grown since the last album. The problem with DM and U2 last go around was the fact that they were treading the same waters, rehashing old material. I don't want a retro, throwback, nostalgic album. I want something new. Sadly, since Gahan is now one of the songwriters (my God his 2nd solo album was horrific), i feel that the Mode is slowly going under and will quickly become a parody of itself unless Gore really steps up his game and Gahan becomes an amazing songwriter on Gore's level. To be honest, I'm more optimistic about U2's next album, for they have so much more to prove.

It's better than HTDAAB. That's all I'll add.

Even though I have DM in my username, I haven't listened much to them in recent years.

At least they are trying to be interesting.

I know one thing, the last time U2 had a new album in March, was the last time DM and U2 released a new album about a month from each other, it was 1997.
it was Ultra competing with Pop, both rocked and both did very well in the charts (at least initially I mean).

So is there hope for greatness again?

PS -
and DM's coming here in May, any chance for U2 in say September? here's some really high hopes though...

I love both...but I have listened to Playing the Angel more recently than I have listened to HTDAAB. :shifty:

I like both albums as well but I prefer Bomb to PTA- the latter has some great tracks on it- but some pretty poor filler as well (sadly I can't recall the song names- it's been a long time since I played it)-

that said PTA was comfortably the strongest Dep Mode album since Songs of Faith & Devotion- they needed something special after the average Ultra and truly dismal Exciter which (along with REM's Around the Sun and anything by Coldplay) is one of the most mind numbingly boring albums I've ever listened to

am looking forward to the new DM album, and seeing them at the o2 in May

oh and yes Dave Gahan's second solo album was awful- shame since the first was actually pretty good

Precious is probably Martin Gore's best song ever, IMO.
The significance behind the words are truly remarkable.

*HUGE DM fan*

I definitely prefer Bomb over Angel, but I do like Angel. I've listened to Bomb more than Angel. I dig DM a lot, but I too felt that it seemed like they were treading water on Angel. Precious is definitely my favorite.
Bomb has a number of good songs on it. City of Blinding Lights is my favorite. Not their greatest effort, but certainly not their worst.

I'm looking forward to hearing new stuff from both U2 and Depeche Mode. :hyper:

Precious got me into DM. John the Revelator is my fav track from Playing The Angel. I do prefer Bomb though.

I still listen to Playing the Angel a lot. I can't say the same for HTDAAB. And I find that over time ..Angel sort of "developed" - my favourites now are totally different to my initial ones, songs I disliked initialy have grown on me to become favourites - whereas HTDAAB sort of "faded" for me as in I just find most of it really boring and one dimensional now...
Anyway, really looking forward to the new album and hoping to get to see them live.

I do have a good feeling that NLOTH will blow whatever Depeche Mode come up with out of the water this time round though! :D

I still think The Bomb is a solid album, although it doesn't stand the test of time at all.

Playing the Angel bores me to tears. Ultra was the last decent Depeche Mode album. Hopefully the new album will change that.

Back
Top Bottom