Pitchfork 2009 Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hi everyone,

Please discuss the below interview with Pitchfork and U2, one of the more awkward interviews I have seen :) I feel U2 did a good job of defacing this guys questions and shows many reasons why Pitchfork is shutting out certain good music because it is popular and not "hipster" music.

U2 - Interview - YouTube

Very awkward, especially when Bono talks about prog rock and not too soon after laments NLOTH as prog rock. Then he tries to kiss their asses when Pitchfork often is a part of supporting boring prog rock along with good stuff.

What a mess!

I liked how Bono tried to reach beyond the writers and editors at Pitchfork, and appeal to the one thing the guys in U2 and the readers of pitchfork had in common, which he called a love of music.

It may not have worked, but it showed that even back then U2 were aware this sort of hipsterish movement that was starting to exclude them as 'relevant', and was starting to gain traction in the music world. The band tried to greet them head on, and get a video up that would hopefully get the band's words themselves right to these readers.

And now, years later, they might have taken this approach to it's ultimate level: They bypassed everyone, and got the music to the fans ahead of any leak, preview, review, or critic. Sure Pitchfork and company chimed in after the fact, but most of their ilk had reviews that almost necessarily talked less of the music and more of the release, and seemed so reactionary to the band itself, I can see many readers thinking, " Man, they were being asses in that review."

Or especially, anyone who had already listened to the music wouldn't have to rely on the Pitchforks to tell them if they'd like it or not, if it 'fit' their views of music or not.

Sent from my fingertips.

Rewatching the pitchfork interview it wasn't as awkward as I remember. But I did think it was funny and cool that Bono name drops Dylan and Lou Reed

Rewatching the pitchfork interview it wasn't as awkward as I remember. But I did think it was funny and cool that Bono name drops Dylan and Lou Reed

I also thought that the name dropping Lou Reed and Dylan (2 pitchfork heroes) was really funny.

I think they came across really well, Adam in particular.

Only slightly annoying thing is Bono pronouncing naivety, naive-tay, bet he didn't do that on Cedarwood Road :)

I really took that interview as Pitchfork trying to prove that they'd actually give U2 a fair shake in their upcoming review of NLOTH, only to destroy it about a week later.

But let's face it. Slamming newer U2 is just playing the role to them. Their audience is the "omg U2 violated my human rights" crowd. Pitchfork is a good tool for discovering new music but you have to take them for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I also thought that the name dropping Lou Reed and Dylan (2 pitchfork heroes) was really funny.

I think they came across really well, Adam in particular.

Only slightly annoying thing is Bono pronouncing naivety, naive-tay, bet he didn't do that on Cedarwood Road :)

He's not cool enough for the Pitchfork and their minions, but he's good enough to be friends with Lou Reed. So who's uncool?

Back
Top Bottom