Pep Talk requested...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, I had previously decided to not attend any shows on this years' tour. The nearest city to me is Chicago. According to google, the United Center is 5h 6m from my house. I saw them twice in 2015, twice in 2017. I just didn't think I cared enough to organize a whole trip to Chicago. May is a very busy time for me, work wise. Going to a concert in Chicago would require me to take 2 days off of work, basically. It would require me having to buy 4 tickets together, so I could take my friends. It would require a hotel room. It would require going out to dinner and drinking a bunch with my buddies. It would require my wife getting pissed off at me for spending too much money, and too much time away from the family. I know it's only Chicago, but as far as she's concerned, I might as well go to Europe for a month. It just sounded like a big "to-do", and didn't seem worth it.

Then that thread started about Larry "retiring". I agree that there's not much truth to it, but it got me thinking. This could be it. I don't really think this will be U2's final tour. However, as Tom Petty (my 2nd favorite artist behind U2) taught me last year, each time could be the last time. I'm very glad I was able to see Tom Petty last summer before he died. I really would like to see U2 on this tour if I can.

The 2nd Chicago show is what I'm eyeing. There seem to be plenty of good single tickets available (and plenty of tickets in general, but that's for another thread). My plan is to buy a single ticket. Just me, by myself. I don't really feel like being on anybody else's schedule. My plan is to work a half day on the 23rd, leave after lunch. Then drive the 5.5 hours to Chicago, grab some fast food on the way, and listen to some tunes. See my favorite band play. Then drive back home. I estimate I'd be home by 6am. Maybe catch a few winks of sleep, and then work the entire day of the 24th. Come home after work, and collapse into bed. My wife won't be able to give me too much shit because other than the ticket, my only expenses would be roughly $50 in gas, and some fast food/junk food during the drives. Also, I'll only be missing one evening away from her and the kids. My boss won't be able to give me too much shit because I will only be taking off half a day. It's ridiculous, but between my wife and my job, I don't really get much free time in my life. Again, a topic for another thread, on a different forum perhaps.

If it were truly up to me I'd take off the 22nd-24th, go to Chicago and see both shows. Get a hotel, etc. But that's not really my reality. Should I do it? I am an able bodied 36 year old man. I'm fairly low maintenance, and can function on little sleep.

I would definitely do it! I've done similar for U2 shows plenty of times. I work overnights, so I'd say the most similar trip to your possible trip to Chicago I had was in 2015. I live just south of Boston. Had tickets to the Madison square garden I&E show that featured Jimmy Fallon and the Roots on the E stage. I worked 11pm- 7am. Took a little nap, woke up around 11:30 and was on the road by noon time. Did just as you're planning- stopped for some fast food crap and to go the bathroom and that's about it. It's 211 miles to NYC for me- probably a little closer than Chicago is for you, but Boston to NYC is always the same deal driving. You can get into the NYC city limits in 3 hours or just under if you're really moving, but it can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours to reach your actual destination there.

I found a spot far enough out in Queens where I could feed the meter for a few hours before it went off for the day. Then I got on the train to Manhattan. Walked up to times square, got another snack and went to the show. Afterwards, I did the same thing in reverse and drove back to Boston. Rolled in around 3:30 am. Of course, I was exhausted, but much like you, I'm a young person who can function on little sleep and has to a lot of the time. I'm also very used to driving long distances and navigating in pretty much any area. It appears you are the same way, so I'd strongly recommend pulling the trigger.

On the less extreme end, but still time crunched, I did JT Pittsburgh and Giants stadium 2 with my brother who is a private pilot. For Pittsburgh, we rented a small plane, flew to Pittsburgh, saw the show, stayed a night out in the suburbs, came back to the city for a little sightseeing, then flew back. For New Jersey, I spent the whole day at work then met up with my brother. We scrambled to get the plane ready and had no conversation as we were focused 100% on the preparation. A unanticipated few short cuts from air traffic control saved us from walking in during "whole of the moon." We wound up having plenty of time. After the show, we ubered right back to the plane.

I've done it the other way, too. I saw JT at the Rose bowl during a 4 day vacation in CA. Did the same with JT in San Diego- only this time, I brought my mom along. Saw 360 2011 in Philadelphia on a trip with my girlfriend at the time and that was a week after I spent a couple nights with family doing the Montreal shows.

As we all know, being a super fan means seeing shows even when it takes a lot of work and isn't part of a nice, leisurely trip. I generally have no issue doing this with U2, but would do so even more now. Not due to the not very credible Larry rumor, but due to the related, simple fact that, because of their age, there are far more shows behind U2 than ahead of them. You don't want to casually pass up what might be your last chance to see them live. You mentioned Tom Petty. I'll mention AC/DC. My pilot brother, before he had the financial means to rent a plane, was driving and flying commercial all over the country to see AC/DC in 2015. I thought he was crazy- especially when he borrowed my car to go to Montreal. Haha! Looking back, he's glad he went to every show he could.

Last edited:
The only gig you regret is the gig you don't attend.

And going to gigs solo is better than going with company.

It'd be nice to only have to travel five hours to see a show.

If you can do it without having a negative impact on work and the wife, absolutely do it.

I was recovering from the flu in 2009, and had Springsteen tickets for the last shows at Giants Stadium. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it, but I pulled through and went. They ended up playing Born To Run in full, which was special... especially considering that this ended up being the last tour before Clarence died.

It'd be nice to only have to travel five hours to see a show.

Thank you! You just made up my mind. I imagine the fans in Australia and Japan, wondering WTF is going on. Or other countries where U2 never plays. Then here's me, a midwestern farm boy who is complaining about having to drive 5 hours. I'M GOING!!! My wife can just deal with it. If I don't go, she'll just end up getting pissed off at me about something else anyway. Fuck it!

I am in Australia [emoji1037] and when they played Dublin Ireland [emoji1132] I had to go and if any of you were there you know it was nothing short of Senfuckensational and worth the A$8,000 I will be paying off over the next few years ☀️U2 have not been to Australia since 2010 360^ tour☀️[emoji41][emoji450][emoji450][emoji443][emoji443]

do it

i have zero spare time and always manage to fit these things in even if it means not sleeping for a bit or having to work all night to fit everything in in one big whirlwind - never regretted it (apart from Nice back on the Vertigo tour where i'd counted on sitting in an airport cafe all night after the gig to get the first morning flight back to Paris, only when i ran back to the airport after the gig, there was no cafe, and security were locking up the terminal and i had to beg them to let me in so i could at least spend the night on a bench inside the airport - oh man that was bad :lol: )

Does anybody ever feel embarrassed about their level of fandom? Like, in order for me to go to Chicago by myself just for a concert, that would expose to a lot more of people just how rabid my fandom is. Some might think it's unhealthy. My wife can't understand why I would go see the same band so many times. I feel like if I were to go, I would tell nobody where I went or why. Obviously my wife would have to know, but I'd never want anyone else to know.

I'll talk about it if it comes up in conversation, but it's not like I'm thinking about it 24 hours a day so I don't feel bad about it. I think you can be "obsessive" if you've got other obsessions in your life to balance it out.

Does anybody ever feel embarrassed about their level of fandom? Like, in order for me to go to Chicago by myself just for a concert, that would expose to a lot more of people just how rabid my fandom is. Some might think it's unhealthy. My wife can't understand why I would go see the same band so many times. I feel like if I were to go, I would tell nobody where I went or why. Obviously my wife would have to know, but I'd never want anyone else to know.

Yep. I hear ya. Try explaining to friends / Family / colleagues / husband (!) that I really MUST go to Dublin in November, all the way from Aus, despite getting a “leave pass” to nip off to LA last May. It stays under wraps until it becomes necessary to be divulged. Annoys me that no one blinks an eye when people travel for work / weddings / funerals but a concert (or 4 [emoji12])??????

I’ll add a female perspective here: do it. You don’t sound like the kind of guys who’s running out with his buddies and getting drunk/high every other night. You seem to take your job/family/responsibilities seriously. You deserve something for you. Like you said, you never know what’s around the bend. You may regret not going.

Just do what I do - go to so many concerts by so many different bands that nobody bats an eyelid when you're going to another one a little further away. :wink:

It's best to be honest, lest you end up having your co-workers find out when they see you on RollingStone.com on stage with Adam and Edge.

For the Indy concert, I bought tickets for my son and three others in GA. My husband and I had seats, because he would never, ever do GA. I warned him ahead of time that I would be me (translate: probably embarrass him) and I would not sit down once. He stood up the whole time too, but I wondered if I would have let loose MORE if he weren't next to me. So, for Chicago 2, I am going GA, possibly with my son, possibly not, and hubby will go explore Chicago. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, and my husband knows better than to question me. He is, after all, the one who introduced me to the band back in 1983. :lol:

I’ve done GA three times, once by myself and twice with other people who are either very casual fans or mostly disinterested. I had the most fun by myself because I didn’t know anyone; there would be no long-term conversations about how crazy or emotional I was acting, just a bunch of Canadians who had no idea who I was. :lol:

Does anybody ever feel embarrassed about their level of fandom?

I wouldn't use the word embarrassed, but I do feel sad. My brother and I grew up listening to U2. I met my close circle of friends while camping out for tickets to the Zoo TV Outside Broadcast. With the exception of two, I'm still close to those friends. Same with my brother. We all shared a U2 connection.

Ever since NLOTH I've seen their interest in the band fade away. No one mentions them much; no one talks about the albums. Yet, here I am, still passionate, still eager to talk about the latest songs. Listening to U2 has largely become a solitary experience. Time passes, friends and family move on. I can't help but be a little melancholy about it.

But embarrassed? Nah. One great thing about getting a few years under your belt is you stop giving a fuck what other people think about what you love.

Anyway, hit that show and don't look back. U2 is still worth the effort.

I'm flying to Chicago next weekend to see Noel G. entirely by myself, and contemplating doing the same thing for the same U2 gig you're eyeing, in fact. Nothing wrong with it :)

I'm flying to Chicago next weekend to see Noel G. entirely by myself, and contemplating doing the same thing for the same U2 gig you're eyeing, in fact. Nothing wrong with it :)

I'm so pissed off! Noel Gallagher played in Columbus last Saturday, and I had no fucking clue!! I didn't even know about it until some people on my Facebook started posting about being there. Guess I'm pretty out of the loop. I was a massive Oasis fan, saw them 3 times. Have never seen Noel solo, would love to! Hearing Noel play "half the world away" is somewhat of a bucket list thing for me.

I wouldn't use the word embarrassed, but I do feel sad. My brother and I grew up listening to U2. I met my close circle of friends while camping out for tickets to the Zoo TV Outside Broadcast. With the exception of two, I'm still close to those friends. Same with my brother. We all shared a U2 connection.

Ever since NLOTH I've seen their interest in the band fade away. No one mentions them much; no one talks about the albums. Yet, here I am, still passionate, still eager to talk about the latest songs. Listening to U2 has largely become a solitary experience. Time passes, friends and family move on. I can't help but be a little melancholy about it.

But embarrassed? Nah. One great thing about getting a few years under your belt is you stop giving a fuck what other people think about what you love.

Anyway, hit that show and don't look back. U2 is still worth the effort.

I feel you on this. I have 2 friends and a brother who have been my "U2 crew" for years. We've been to Chicago together several times to see them. But their level of fandom has really dropped off since NLOTH. I THINK they all bought SOE, but we haven't discussed it or even listened to it in each other's presence. U2 has become a solitary experience for me as well. The 4 of us still went to Cleveland last summer to see them, and it was a great time. But I found myself having to hold back my enthusiasm a little bit because of them.

For the Indy show, I took a friend who wanted to cross U2 off his bucket list. He's a casual fan. The kind that skips Unforgettable Fire and Bad when listening to the greatest hits, because he doesn't know those songs. He seemed to be mildly amused the whole time, and I really had to reign in my fandom a lot. He said while it was good, the Kings of Leon show we went to the month prior was better. So...

I wouldn't call myself obsessed with U2. I listen to a lot of other bands, go to a lot of other concerts, etc. but people think it's weird that I would travel 5-6 hours to see a concert. However, if I were traveling to Chicago to watch my favorite football team, nobody would think that was abnormal at all. I would never travel to Chicago for any other concert, I will say that.

It's a bit like mourning isn't it, A.? Especially when true friends fade away and replacements cast a vibe where you have to reign your true self in. Been there.

I hear you on not obsessing. It's not that. It's not a celebrity thing. It's about the live music experience, and these guys cook live. I've gotten more than my fair share of weird looks (and even rude comments) for the distances I've traveled to see the bands I love. In the end: fuck 'em all.

This past May I took my wife to see The Red Hot Chili Peppers. We were next to a couple from a couple states over who said they were coming back in a couple weeks to see Tom Petty. My wife knew that I really want tot go but we decided to be good (financially). I told my wife next time he comes I am going . We all know how that ended.

Rick, sorry you never got to see Petty, he was one of the greats. Incredible concert, I'm so glad I went.

I missed out on the RHCP the last time they came around, also due to trying to be financially responsible. I hope I get the chance again. I saw them in 2006, but haven't seen them in the post-Frusciante era.

Hell has frozen over. Radiohead just announced 2 shows in my backyard, being Columbus and Cincinnati. I will definitely be seeing one of those! If Radiohead can do this, why can't U2? Radiohead hate touring, yet they still are coming!

Back
Top Bottom