Other bands/artists who've worked with as many great producers as U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doxxer

The Fly
I came across an article recently that summarized the most acclaimed (or at least the most well-known..) music producers to come out of the last 4 decades.

Producers U2 have collaborated with that were listed:

Rick Rubin
Steve Lillywhite
Martin Hannett
Daniel Lanios
Mark Flood
Brian Eno
Nigel Godrich
Danger Mouse

that's 8 of the 20 that were discussed. U2 have obviously had the opportunity to work with a great variety of producers thanks to their longevity, they've been around for over 40 years now.

But I'm struggling to think of other artists/bands that have collaborated with so many great producers throughout their career-span?

Are U2 masterful negotiators? Or did they ride a wave of considerably good timing & opportunity to get those key people on-board once their career was really taking-off?

The stars aligned considering the fact Flood was already part of the backroom staff in 1987 and U2 subsequently developed a relationship which enabled them to collaborate for the next 25 years after that.

I guess props to them for putting themselves out there as a young band & having the assertiveness & confidence to approach acclaimed producers such as Eno/Lanios in 1984 and lay-out their vision to them.

Last edited:
Do you by chance have the link to the article you’re referring to? My googling brought up various lists but none seemed to be the one you mention. I’m mostly wondering if Jeff Lynne is on it.

Off the top of my head, I can’t really think of another mainstream band with such a collection of producers in their Pokédex. I could be totally wrong, but I feel like you’d have to look at different genres and smaller artists to find similar producer pedigrees.

An example that comes to mind on a more macro level (so to speak) are Jimmy Eat World:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Eat_World_discography

The producers they’ve used aren’t necessarily household names, but are all well regarded (or have been) for the work they’ve done in the pop/modern rock/indie world.

Queens of the Stone Age have a similar run of producer usage.

I’d also be willing to bet there are a few parallels in the hip hop world.

Let's be honest, U2 didn't really "work" with Nigel Godrich; I don't think one remix or whatever counts here. And Martin Hannett produced a single track, right?

Let's be honest, U2 didn't really "work" with Nigel Godrich; I don't think one remix or whatever counts here. And Martin Hannett produced a single track, right?

He produced the single mix of Walk On didn't he?

But that's not recording and legitimately collaborating with the band. That's taking what's already been done in the studio and polishing it for the radio.

A waste of Godrich's talent, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom