Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono @ funeral.

article-2521218-1A015B7F00000578-653_634x440.jpg

article-2521218-19FFA99500000578-616_634x369.jpg

Oh boy. Those pics are gonna be doing the rounds on the internetz. Right on the eve of a new U2 album as well. Larry is gonna be PISSED :huh:

If these are funeral or memorial pictures, then I see nothing wrong with them. Regardless of one's views of Bush's presidency, the man is a former U.S. president. And for that alone, I am respectful. And while I disagreed with Bush on MANY areas, the one topic that I will praise him for is his support of Bono's work, especially in Africa.

By that same logic, reichskanzler hitler should be respected as well as he was a democratically elected leader of a civilised, western country.

To be clear Im not at all comparing Bush to Hitler (not in the slightest), but your logic is completely off the mark here.

By that same logic, reichskanzler hitler should be respected as well as he was a democratically elected leader of a civilised, western country.

To be clear Im not at all comparing Bush to Hitler (not in the slightest), but your logic is completely off the mark here.

You can say a lot about Hitler, but he also did wonders for the German economy that was shot down after WW1. So in that sense, yes, you could say something positive about him too.

WHile Bush has done a lot wrong, he did a lot of things well for Africa and the AIDs epidemic. So I do not see why it would be wrong for Bono to praise that.

Not to hijack this thread, but the one thing that will always stick with me and will always be unforgivable is when it was reported that on the night of 9/11, Bush told his advisors "Find me something on Iraq". His advisors told him that Iraq had nothing to do with it and Bush became irate and insisted that they find something on Iraq.

Not to hijack this thread, but the one thing that will always stick with me and will always be unforgivable is when it was reported that on the night of 9/11, Bush told his advisors "Find me something on Iraq". His advisors told him that Iraq had nothing to do with it and Bush became irate and insisted that they find something on Iraq.

Yes, horrible indeed :no:

BUT we should still stick to the topic of this thread which is Ordinary Love and not turn it into a political discussion. I don't like seeing Bono with Bush either, but I accept and understand why they worked together in the first place.

Now back on topic: Congrats U2 for the Globe nomination :up:

I'm 99 per cent certain that it was Dick Cheney who said that. Appalling all the same.

You can say a lot about Hitler, but he also did wonders for the German economy that was shot down after WW1. So in that sense, yes, you could say something positive about him too.

t.

Sorry to digress again, but Hitler's manipulation of the economy had almost everything to do with barbaric forced measures (ie dissolution of unions, workers rights and ironically employer rights), drastic increase in armaments manufacturing and the removal of "untermenschen" from the work force. Did the GDP rise in between 33-39? Absolutely, but the reasons behind the growth would be considered entirely unacceptable in a non-fascist society.

Sorry to digress again, but Hitler's manipulation of the economy had almost everything to do with barbaric forced measures (ie dissolution of unions, workers rights and ironically employer rights), drastic increase in armaments manufacturing and the removal of "untermenschen" from the work force. Did the GDP rise in between 33-39? Absolutely, but the reasons behind the growth would be considered entirely unacceptable in a non-fascist society.

BUT, BUT, BUT THE TRAINS RAN ON TIME!

I don't think Bono really cares at all anymore who he's seen with. I think he's past the embarrassment of it all. He still speaks highly of Bush's commitment in Africa, long after it is political expedient to kowtow.

Hey guys, U2 is super great! And they got a Golden Globe nomination this morning!!

now can we stop rehashing old political stuff in this thread please. :|

The lack of historical memory gives birth to comments like these.
I'm tired of listening the same about Portugal and Salazar. Hitler and Salazar are psychopats and dictators. There's no such thing as bad dictator and "less-bad" dictator.
By exploring the richness and human capital of colonies, even Mickey Mouse could put Portugal's economy growing.
By putting a war industry working with full power and cutting the expenses with a part of the population - which was being alienated or "ghettizated" - even I could restore the german economy in a blink of a eye. So what: he designed the VW Beetle for all the (white) germans and built lots of autobahns for them? Cool! Anyone could've done that with the war industry.

Here's the first (?) cover of Ordinary Love by dutch band Rigby. Pretty decent I think.

http://giel.vara.nl/media/306022

I tried to embed the link, but doesn't seem to work. Here's the full embed link:

<iframe width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" src="http://media.vara.nl/player.php?id=306022"></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom