OOTS - Single or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Ok, I'm gonna ask something that has been confusing me for years:

Was 'Original of the species' released as a single or not?

I looked on wikipedia, and the only chart position i can see is number 15 in the netherlands...

So was wondering, was it like only a promo release or something? Or was it an official single which just failed to chart everywhere?

People were saying that 'Magnificent' was U2's first single to miss the uk top 40 since 'A Celebration', but what about OOTS? Didn't that miss it also? Or was it never officially released as a single?

Thanks

"Original of the Species" was released as a promotional single in the US. It peaked at #6 on the Triple A Chart according to mediaguide.com and the video has reached #12 on VH1's top 20 video countdown. The track has also made brief appearances on the Hot AC charts according to Radio and Records and MediaGuide.

It was released as a single in the Netherlands. I don't think I bought it though, so I can't tell you if it was download only or also physical.

I think it was only available as a download single (in the Netherlands). If there had been a physical release I would've bought it.

OOTS was available as a download in many countries. The download was a 1-track single of the single version (a newly recorded version in The Netherlands in July 2005). It was released on promo CD in the US (with cd case) and Europe (cardboard sleeve). The CD was a 1-track with the single version on it. There was also a dvd-promo the video.
Check this for more info: ..:: U2 Discography - Original of the Species Promo Single - U2 Wanderer.org ::..

Thanks for the replies so far.

So in a nutshell then, is this right? - Promo single in many counrties. Proper single in netherlands only.

in short: download single only in several countries, as well as in The Netherlands. There was never a commercial physical release for OOTS. Only the 1-track promo CD in the US and Europe.

in short: download single only in several countries, as well as in The Netherlands. There was never a commercial physical release for OOTS. Only the 1-track promo CD in the US and Europe.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up :up:

Back
Top Bottom