ONE on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summed up best by someone else on this thread.

"One should not be screamed."

Started off "ok" then he butchered it.

I thought it was fine - the screaming on key is what he does.certainly better thatn the performances by the others. It would have been much better if he toned it down but he does not appear to have subtlety in his repetoire. He certainly can sing.

On a more positive note, the audience and judges obviously loved it, Adam and Simon gave it the props it deserves and likely exposed many young people to what many would consider one of the all time great songs.

I thought it was fine - the screaming on key is what he does.certainly better thatn the performances by the others. It would have been much better if he toned it down but he does not appear to have subtlety in his repetoire. He certainly can sing.

On a more positive note, the audience and judges obviously loved it, Adam and Simon gave it the props it deserves and likely exposed many young people to what many would consider one of the all time great songs.

They should have let him sing the song in its entirity, its like 4 min and 38 seconds whereas, he only sang under 2 minutes of the song. :|

Uh, yeah - that's kind of an Idol rule - generally not much more than 90 seconds is allowed for any song, sometimes bar finals. You must consider that there's other material for the show in a fairly compact timeslot.

Also, quality thread! Well done! I'm taking you all to the Barossa.

Liking U2 and enjoying some cheesy pop culture are not mutually exclusive.

I listen to U2 and other rock bands, some indietastic bands, and a good bit of cheesy pop music. I have no idea why people keep trying to pigeonhole "U2 fans" like we all act the same way or like the same things.

I listen to U2 and other rock bands, some indietastic bands, and a good bit of cheesy pop music. I have no idea why people keep trying to pigeonhole "U2 fans" like we all act the same way or like the same things.
Agreed. Nothing wrong with guilty pleasures. It would be quite disturbing if we all turned into U2 "Trekies". I would rather watch American Idol with my kids than sit alone in an old tie-dyed Achtung Baby concert shirt watching Rattle+Hum....

It would have been much better if he toned it down but he does not appear to have subtlety in his repetoire. He certainly can sing.

He did an awesome version of Mad World with all the right subtleties, but I was less than impressed with this performance of One. It's just one of those songs best sung in it's entirety. :love:

They should have let him sing the song in its entirity, its like 4 min and 38 seconds whereas, he only sang under 2 minutes of the song. :|

JCOSTER, I know you know this, but with three dudes singing 6 songs....they always do a truncated version of the songs.....In fact, I was surprised he sang as much as he did.

I am also not a fan of Adam's screaming. But....he CAN sing. Not really my style as well....but I thought he made the song "One" his own. It wouldn't really make it memorable to do it exactly like Bono does it. That's the problem. You can't come to American Idol and do it karaoke style....

You have to a) sing it better than the original or b) make it your own style.

What I think is absolutely strategic from a winning standpoint....is Adam had to sing two popular songs by two popular bands.

a U2 song and an Arrowsmith song.

Songs that the majority of American people know.....songs from two bands American people love.

So regardless of butchering it or not. He's got the votes in the bag.

BTW....I'm Canadian...and watch American Idol...despite having our own Canadian Idol......

sad days indeed :)

From the little he actually got to sing in that "duet," I'd agree with you.

I'm bummed that Elliott'as albums are a genre of music that I don't much care for, because I really loved his voice.

I thought he was horrible. Eliott did a much better job a while back...

David Cook also did a great job last year with ISHFWILF. He didn't alter the song, just kept it as is and let the power of the song and his vocals coincide and naturally take over and dominate. If Adam had done the same thing and kept the tempo of the song as it started out in the beginning, let the power of the song and his voice just flow naturally, we could've heard the strength of his voice much more clearly.

Nice to see that kids are still idolizing Bono, but his version was atrocious. I mean seriously, awful. Obviously he didn't pick the song (Simon, who wants him to win, tried to give him a boost by getting him permission to sing a fail-proof, incredible song) and he didn't understand how to sing it. Oh well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess. Or something.

Part of me likes that the pop music scene has devolved into teenagers trying to imitate U2, though :wink:

Where does the "imitation" come into play, when he butchered changed up the song so that it pretty much sounded nothing like U2 or Bono?

Yeah, I think they even edited his performance of it. American Idol is such a joke: 2 minutes of performance, followed by 20 minutes of analysis and nit-picking, lol. They don't even get to sing the entire songs!

Quoted for the most truth ever.

That fact that anyone, U2 fan or not, watches tripe like this is depressing. It's not even good cheesy pop, it's bad karaoke by prefabricated entertainers who have absolutely no artistic merit and who want to be famous for the sake of being famous. It represents the loss of substance and soul. It's everything that is bad about pop culture. It's like we're back to the pre-rock era, before Elvis and co. shook up the scene.

Or something like that.

That fact that anyone, U2 fan or not, watches tripe like this is depressing. It's not even good cheesy pop, it's bad karaoke by prefabricated entertainers who have absolutely no artistic merit and who want to be famous for the sake of being famous. It represents the loss of substance and soul. It's everything that is bad about pop culture. It's like we're back to the pre-rock era, before Elvis and co. shook up the scene.

Or something like that.
Sweeping generalizations rule - long live rock'n roll.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom