Old iPods are selling for as much as $90,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The iPod classic was discontinued in September, and Apple CEO Tim Cook said in October that the decision was made because the company "couldn't get the parts anymore, not anywhere on Earth."

"The engineering work was massive, and the number of people who wanted it very small," Cook said at the WSJ.D Conference. "I felt there were reasonable alternatives."

Can someone point out one of these "reasonable alternatives"? The largest iPod they now offer is a 64 GB touch for over $300 which isn't cutting it imo...

Or just get any other MP3 player.

I mean, the iPod was cool, but clearly it's time to find another option.

The iPod is crap compared to modern options such as the Fiio X3 that play Hi-Def music files. You could buy an X3 new for like $170 on Amazon and then upgrade the capacity easily with SD cards (128 GB ones are like $50 each on Amazon).

So, yes, it's now fairly easy to get a better sounding player with higher capacity for less money. That wasn't the case up until fairly recently, but the Classic has definitely been beat. I'd sell my 80 GB classic (from the final generation) for a lot of money if I could, but these news articles always consider asking prices on eBay to be realistic. I doubt anybody is that stupid to pay much more than face value for a NEW classic, let alone a used one.

Case in point:

This auction is ending in an hour for my model of the classic. $71 including free shipping. There's some other models hovering around $130 though...so there's a decent range for the item at least, but nowhere near the silly asking prices that are being reported as fact.

I've got a 160GB model up for sale at $137 with the auction ending soon...some newer (or new) ones are rightfully clearing $300, but basically this commotion is all just a lie.

:shifty: Anyone want a 5th gen video U2 ipod? Mint condition, used for only 9 years...

Shite though, this means I cannot have the battery replaced anymore when it dies on me. :( I've had that happen twice already and it got fixed for just 20-30 euros.. perhaps should have that done soon before the parts run out.

the Fiio X3 description on Amazon states "Built-in 8GB flash memory and micro SD card slot supporting up to 64GB expansion"

The X5 appears to support up to 256 GB which is more like it but the price is still pretty steep.

Interesting suggestion though.

I actually still have a unopened U2 iPod in the original package. Bought 2 of them back in 2004 and never used the other. I wonder what it's worth? :hmm:

the Fiio X3 description on Amazon states "Built-in 8GB flash memory and micro SD card slot supporting up to 64GB expansion"

The X5 appears to support up to 256 GB which is more like it but the price is still pretty steep.

Interesting suggestion though.

The Amazon listing is old news. The Fiio X3 currently supports a 128 GB card.

FiiO

X5 has two card slots which is why it supports 256 GB total between them. Once Fiio adds support for 256 GB card support to all its devices (which will surely happen soon), it will cost only $270 to get a top-of-the-line 256 GB card and the X3 via Amazon. Way, way better than the iPod classic.

You can also use the X3 as a DAC which means you can plug it into your computer via USB and get incredible sound out of it when you plug it into some speakers or headphones.

I actually still have a unopened U2 iPod in the original package. Bought 2 of them back in 2004 and never used the other. I wonder what it's worth? :hmm:

Not much. Curiosity for the item though could probably get you around $100, but it's old tech.

I'm in two minds now. I've got a 160gb classic which I still use everyday. I could use the money but I also still want an iPod and the current models don't cut it for me.

:lol: Shit that's the 2005 one I have! I still have the original box and everything that came with it. Not sealed or unnused though. Damn, that's a lot of money.

Wow! I didn't realize I could get that much for it. I don't want to sell mine though. Sentimental value far outweighs the financial gains for me. :heart:

Keep in mind though what someone puts it on eBay for and what they actually get for the item are two different things often times. As someone who sells online occasionally if there are only a few or no other of the same item available I will just come up with a price to see how it goes. Better to price too high than too low.

Which is why I linked to something getting bids. That U2 iPod I linked to earlier is up to $365, and still has two days left. And again, it's a used one. There's definitely some value in the U2 ones. I don't know how long something like that will stay valuable, but having a sealed one is definitely cool :up:.

Yeah, it's irritating how the media thinks a listing is the same as a purchase. if people aren't actually bidding on the item, then it isn't going for that rate. You can definitely make hundreds off the U2 iPod right now (and it was probably worth about $50 before the announcement to cancel the Classic).

I can't tell you how many pointless click-bait articles are put up along the lines of "Your Old Toys Are Worth Thousands" based on some idiot's price listing. Then you search eBay and the actual toy is almost impossible to even sell for pocket change and shipping.

Not to harp on, but the U2 iPod has almost always sold for this much. It's a collector's item on top of now also being another variation of a collector's item.

Not much. Curiosity for the item though could probably get you around $100, but it's old tech.

... the entire thread is about how U2 iPods are going for silly rates on ebay....

I get missing an answer somebody gave earlier in a huge thread because you don't feel like going through every page, but literally the entire thread is about U2 iPods being sold for big bucks.

I'm baffled.

Yeah when I heard they were going to discontinue I got sad!:crack: I love my 160 gig one. They day after they announced it I went to the apple store because my was losing battery life. It took a week to get it replaced but yeah this is the end of it!:sad:

Yeah when I heard they were going to discontinue I got sad!:crack: I love my 160 gig one. They day after they announced it I went to the apple store because my was losing battery life. It took a week to get it replaced but yeah this is the end of it!:sad:

I am currently using a 160 GB one too. Love the fact it fits almost my entire CD library. That being said, sometimes the click wheel can be finicky.

... the entire thread is about how U2 iPods are going for silly rates on ebay....

I get missing an answer somebody gave earlier in a huge thread because you don't feel like going through every page, but literally the entire thread is about U2 iPods being sold for big bucks.

I'm baffled.

The title of the thread doesn't mention that and half the posts weren't specifically related to the U2 iPod...I also didn't even think this was posted in EYKIW at first for what it's worth...

Anyway, I'll still admit defeat.

I brought a u2 ipod off ebay last month for £60. It was just the ipod but i have the box from my old one that broke ages ago.

I had a look on ebay and there going for similar amounts.

What someone puts as a starting bid or a buy it now price dosent mean thats what its going to sell for. I havent seen one go for big money in a long time

Back
Top Bottom