Of the Remastered Disc thus far........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The effort that would go into getting Stockholm or Washington up to scratch would have been, well, the biggest job of the project. They put a lot of work into their live releases, and are super picky/perfectionist about every detail. I would assume they were one of not up for it, no clear $ benefit, or they don't think those gigs were up to it, footage or performance wise or whatever.

I'm hoping the mystery 'Bonus' DVD includes a few songs from these or similar - a bit of Mirrorball Man, basically.

From a purely personal point of view I find both Stockholm or Washington to be infinitely superior shows to any live DVD they've released this decade, yes, I'm even including Slane in that.

The band were audacious, inspired and playing with real conviction, plus Bono's vocals were often Lovetown-esque on the Washington show.

I know the band are perfectionists, but do they ever actually tidy up Bono's vocals? Because if so, on past evidence, they're not doing a great job of it. I thought he sounded pretty rough at the Rose Bowl and not much better at either Boston or Chicago.

They've not been great at concert films since Sydney 93. Popmart Mexico looks astonishing but Santiago is miles better in terms of performance and vocals.

Plus, Slane aside, there hasn't really been that sense of an event at any of the other DVD's, they feel like just another stop on the tour, especially in the case of Boston and Chicago.

It really makes me wonder why they archive every single show in audio and video, I doubt they will ever use any of it.

Exactly, why film everything if you never plan on officially releasing it?

I mentioned Queen on the other thread and the fact that they keep re-releasing concerts that the fans have multiple times over, despite the fact that more exists in the archives.

Queen haven't been around for 20 years, so you'd think that now might be the time to start offering something a little different to the fans, but this doesn't seem to be the policy.

If I have to wait for U2 to end and then another 20+ years on top of that, I'll be collecting my pension by the time a full-length Lovetown show is available in the shops.

Don't worry guys... when U2 retire they will probably release all of their material. Remixes, remasters, rerecordings, live dvds etc.

Or McG will screw us over all over again. :wink:

Yeah when U2 retires they'll release an Ultimate uber super mega box with almost everything they ever did,and it will cost like a fortune!!!!

So what is the Zooropa album doing on AB remaster ?

Me thinks the band view it as a companion piece to AB. It's inclusion in the AB box tells me it ain't gettin its own release.... unless of course they want to release Sydney AGAIN in a few years on blueray, then they might think about it.:D

Me thinks the band view it as a companion piece to AB. It's inclusion in the AB box tells me it ain't gettin its own release.... unless of course they want to release Sydney AGAIN in a few years on blueray, then they might think about it.:D
Perhaps they're waiting for Zooropa's 20th anniversary in July 2013?

They'd better be...I want Zooropa on vinyl, dammit. :angry:

Are the washington / stockholm performances really worse quality than the sydney one? weren't they shot at the same time with the same quality filming?

Personally I'd rather have an official washington/other zoo concert release on CD than the sydney dvd again.

Stockholm was not, it was basically the nightly feed they taped at every show. DC was shot with extra cameras and was a back up plan for a possible pay per view that never materialized. So that would have required some work, but would have had suitable footage to use. Same with the Yankee Stadium shows from 1992, they were shot with full production. Problem is, it would have required some work to put it out on an official DVD. Easier to spend no money and release Sydney again unfortunately.

A life-size blowup doll of Adam naked.

And what, exactly, would you do with this? :hmm: :ohmy: :shifty:

I agree with the masses - another ZOO TV era show, other than Sydney, would have made this Uber set far more acceptable for the price. Maybe if the Sydney show was on Blu-Ray, we would appreciate it more. But it appears to be the basic DVD we all have.

Fly shades are fun. :up: Inflatable Trabant? Only if it didn't leak. But it may not have fit in the package. A better item may have been a small toy Trabant special for this Uber release. I have some older ones from the day, but a new one for this release would have been cool.

I would have liked to have heard more songs from that era and a few less remixes and b-sides that, again, most of us have. But "Baby AB" CD may make this a worthwhile purchase.

From a purely personal point of view I find both Stockholm or Washington to be infinitely superior shows to any live DVD they've released this decade, yes, I'm even including Slane in that.

The band were audacious, inspired and playing with real conviction, plus Bono's vocals were often Lovetown-esque on the Washington show.

I know the band are perfectionists, but do they ever actually tidy up Bono's vocals? Because if so, on past evidence, they're not doing a great job of it. I thought he sounded pretty rough at the Rose Bowl and not much better at either Boston or Chicago.

They've not been great at concert films since Sydney 93. Popmart Mexico looks astonishing but Santiago is miles better in terms of performance and vocals.

Plus, Slane aside, there hasn't really been that sense of an event at any of the other DVD's, they feel like just another stop on the tour, especially in the case of Boston and Chicago.

I'm not sure how much tidying up they really do. U2 may mix and match shows performed at the same venue over a few nights, but I don't think they really re-record a lot. If they do, it's probably an egregious error. Correcting vocals would be especially tough and come across very fake. Imagine you're at the show and Bono sounded a bit rough that night. The DVD comes out and he sounds like Pavarotti (RIP). It wouldn't be right.

While I agree the Sydney show was an event, I will contend that the Boston Elevation show was too. Furthermore, other than the fans sitting down in the heart (which U2 did NOT have to show as they played 4 consecutive shows in Boston), I felt Bono's vocals were spot on - far better than in Slane (where he was rough for many reasons). "Until the End of the World" in that Boston show was even better than in many ZOO shows, IMO.

I also feel that with the advent of iTunes, YouTube, smart phones, etc., video releases aren't so big any more. One can download the audio from a concert sometimes within hours of it occurring. And if fans made a video, it might be out within a month or two. YouTube often shows video clips within minutes of a song being performed! Hence, the only real expectations these days are the new single, new album and new tour.

I would definitely appreciate a 'toy' Trabant miniature. Well, actually I'd like a two piece set, painted like the Trabi's Adam and Larry drove in the One video(drag version). How could would that be?

I'm still sure that their logic would be that they have a super high quality ZooTV DVD, it's the 'definitive' one, this is the 'definitive' AB/Zoo era collection blah blah, and it's also held in very high regard, it's iconic and whatnot, so why 'dilute' both the collection and the ZooTV mythology and aura by releasing something that is in some way (to them) - performance or footage or audio - 'inferior' to what they already have out there? You can just imagine one of them, band or manager, explaining it in such a bland, commercial way, no?

There's no way they don't have a show to choose and pick from. If Paris was good enough for JT remaster, Stockholm and/or Washington*/whateverelse they have should be enough for this, the mother of all U2 remasters.

* for real value, they could have put both of those in: indoor and outdoor Zoo TV. But before Macphisto hijacked the show.

Yeah, could have, but you have to try and use their likely logic. And it's not the same as ours.

I'm really pissed there's not a different ZooTV - it's a shit move. But also, I'd right now hand over £70 or whatever it is for the Super, just to get my hands on 'Baby' Achtung. The real Sydney disappointment will likely not kick in until I've worked my way through everything else.

True. But one logic would be more appealing to long-term fans who are interested in remasters.

It could even be just that Outside Broadcast TV special. Or a fully shot Joanou Zoo TV show (I presume he filmed a full stadium show, the one from which we got Desire and Tryin' to throw your arms... on the Zoo DVD extras?)...

Yeah, could have, but you have to try and use their likely logic. And it's not the same as ours.

I'm really pissed there's not a different ZooTV - it's a shit move. But also, I'd right now hand over £70 or whatever it is for the Super, just to get my hands on 'Baby' Achtung. The real Sydney disappointment will likely not kick in until I've worked my way through everything else.

Eh...I don't care about the "Baby" Achtung Baby. It's all about the documentaries/DVDs for me. Or at least it was until they decided to gift us with Sydney x2.

Eh...I don't care about the "Baby" Achtung Baby. It's all about the documentaries/DVDs for me. Or at least it was until they decided to gift us with Sydney x2.

Actually the Achtung Baby, baby is what saves this for me. The bonus disc with 6 new songs is decent, but then add in demos or alternate takes of the entire album, I'm sold. Like I said before the DVD concert choice is the only weak part of this IMO. I still will be buying the Super deluxe so I can get all the audio discs. Looking forward to it actually.

Blue Room said:
Actually the Achtung Baby, baby is what saves this for me. The bonus disc with 6 new songs is decent, but then add in demos or alternate takes of the entire album, I'm sold. Like I said before the DVD concert choice is the only weak part of this IMO. I still will be buying the Super deluxe so I can get all the audio discs. Looking forward to it actually.

Agreed. Discs 5 & 6 are all I really care about. Not sure what the remaster will sound like. I'm afraid they'll just make it really loud, but you never know.

Not sure what the remaster will sound like. I'm afraid they'll just make it really loud, but you never know.

Considering that they didn't brickwall their previous remasters, I wouldn't be afraid of that. The remaster will probably not sound really loud.

I'm a straight male. It was more of a suggestion for PLEBA-folk. :p

And yet, I don't recall any of the PLEBA women making this suggestion (although I'm sure they are jumping all over it now - get it, jumping... inflatable Adam... eh, never mind).

I do like some of the more rare promos U2 have out there (although I don't have some of the "holy grail" items). A Trabant would have been fun. Not sure what I'd do with Adam though. Maybe he'd make a great coat hanger.

*snicker*

They should've included Montgomery's Visit, that song was the best

i laugh everytime i read that title. makes no sense to anyone but everyone knows (around here) what it refers to.

anyways, the only title that really the fans got right after all were heaven and hell and blow your house down. everything else is fan titles.

Back
Top Bottom