October Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugo

Acrobat
Don't mess with October!

327263_1_f.jpg

So underrated, it's a heart-on-their-sleeves spiritual record with some interesting sounds on it that aren't present in the rest of their catalog, and emotional lyrics that are even more impressive when you consider the fate of the original lyrics and how Bono had to improvise most of them in the studio. I think it got maligned for not being as punk as Boy, but this was the first evidence the world had of how much U2 liked to evolve.

I love October... Especially Gloria, Tomorrow and October (the song). The album is far too underrated, it's so beautiful!

I love October. Tomorrow is an absolute beautiful song. I really feel for Bono every time I hear that song. October (song) features a very amazing and striking piano piece. ITABTAW is full of energy and when I first heard it I was jumping around to it. I've overplayed that song and it's lost a bit of that magical feel it had at first. But it's still a great song! Gloria is amongst some of their best songs ever written. It's a hymn that rocks! Scarlet might get boring after a while but it's still very nice. Rejoice is a song that I really took in. It has such energy and power, all coming from such a young band. I Fall Down is one of my favorite songs off this album and it got better live IMO. With A Shout (Jerusalem) is another one of those energy packed songs that I love so much. We don't get many songs like this today. Fire is a great song too but I actually prefer Saturday Night to Fire. I do love Edge's little guitar solo in Fire. Stranger In A Strange Land is a quite interesting listen. I've always liked the end with Bono shouting "ohhhhh ohhhh ohhhhhhh". Is That All? is one of my favorites. I don't care if it sounds like the guitar riff is pulled straight out of Electric Co. this is a great song! The chorus, while pretty straight forward, is my favorite part. I've never got all the hate for this song.

October is a great album, very underrated. I also never understood why so much of Interference put this album off as not any good. I'd rather listen to this than most non-sense out there today (most likely not in the minority there). While not the best of U2's catalogue I am still very glad they made it. I think what Bono and Edge were dealing with at the time (Religion vs being rock stars) became a good subject for the album. These songs have intensity and beauty. This was quite a difficult follow-up to Boy but I think they did a pretty good job.

Also does anybody else here really like the Common Ground Remix of Tomorrow?

Oh, and "Tomorrow" is one of the most heartbreaking songs ever recorded.
Yes it's just so powerful emotionally. Its also has some of my favourite guitarwork of any U2 song at the end.

As for the album, I recently rediscovered it. I really like the atmosphere of the album even though some of the songs are pretty weak.

Never really enjoyed it, but in the past few weeks it has really grown on me. Now I love it so much!

After I heard Scarlet played in Auckland live on this tour, I decided to give October a second chance, and it was worth it. SUCH A GREAT ALBUM :drool:

I really like October. But I only like individual songs on October if I listen to the album as a whole, which takes a certain mood.

Gloria and Rejoice are awesome. I like Brick (live), October and Scarlet. Don't like the rest of the songs that much. Is That All? is awful.

I love October. Around after the second time I listened to it, I decided it was the album most like me...or my favorite, because it bridged between Boy era and Joshua Tree-esque, and I like the in between-ness it has. There's still that unformed quality about the music that makes everything in it sound so heartfelt.

Gloria's my favorite song on there, definitely. In general, after Where The Streets Have No Name, it's basically my favorite song by them ever. I also love With A Shout, Fire, October, and Is That All. :heart:

:heart: October. I think it's way better than Boy, mostly thanks to the beautiful Tomorrow. Seriously, that song is amazing.

:heart: October. I think it's way better than Boy, mostly thanks to the beautiful Tomorrow. Seriously, that song is amazing.

Exactly, this is such a mind-blowing song :heart: My favourite from the period 1980-83. I never get bored of Tomorrow.

my favourite U2 album cover.

Stranger in a Strange Land is my favourite song from the album and i think i must have a secretly good version of it that none of you others have heard, because no one else seems to like it

Back
Top Bottom