Numb is an experimental disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, I like "Jesus Christ". It's a cover and Bono has (had?) a fine country voice.

But I really love Numb. I'm a Numb fan. It just fits in perfectly with the theme of the 90s, the numbness brought on by this new culture which, in 2009, we're still adapting to.

Edge's deadpan delivery is perfect, especially with Bono's fat lady voice. The lyrics are top notch, and the way that the ambient noises build to a huge crescendo is fantastic. This song is epic. Never skip it.

Zooropa is one of my favorite u2 albums and this, along with Lemon, Stay, and The Wanderer, is among it's high points.

The Emergency Broadcast Network version of Numb is awesome, all the techno backing just adds another dimension to the original.

I think It's great and I love the 'Don't Believe the Hype' line in the live versions

What does a Woody Guthrie tribute have to do with 'Numb'?

Have you ever stuck to a subject?

Did you read my post? I wrote that I like Numb then I posted a song I thought was the worst. I had to look high and low to find the worst because this band is consistently good.

Don't wanna sound negative or anything, but I really feel the need to start a thread bashing the worst ever U2 song recorded (AKA 'Numb')

It amazes me that anybody actually likes Numb.
I'm not even joking, I think Numb is the worst song they've ever done. Worse than ANYTHING they've ever put out there. Worse than ANYTHING they've ever recorded. I cannot think of another U2 song that I think is worse than Numb. Grace kinda comes close. Miami kinda comes close. Some really rare and rough b-sides come close. But Numb for me is the worst U2 song ever to grace the planet, and I don't understand how anybody could listen to it, nevermind enjoy it! Hell, Numb is one of the worst songs I have heard by anybody, let alone U2! And I am a huge U2 fan!

I think it's tragic that it actually made a best of too. If I had never heard U2 before, went out and brought the best of 90-00, chose a track at random which was 'Numb' and listened to it, then I would be immediately put off! I'd listen to more tracks afterwards, only to find out they're much much better, and then I'd wonder why the pile of crap that is Numb is even included on the CD. IMO it shouldn't have even been on an album, nevermind a best of! Hell, it should never have been recorded! Urgh, the fact that gorgeous songs such as WGRYWH didn't make the best of and 'Numb' did...

I know U2 were trying to be experimental. But sometimes it just doesn't work. Numb is an experimental disaster.

Sorry for the negativity. Just wanted to get that out my system! :wink:

Ah I like numb! Hard to understand huh?

So, first of all..."Numb" is amazing...But the main reason I wanted to revive this thread was because I need an instrumental version of "Numb" for my graduate thesis documentary.

I found an instrumental karaoke version on YouTube, but it's riddled with looped sound clips from the "found footage" in the video. Does anyone know where I can find a "clean" instrumental version?

Once I get this scene working in my film, I'd love to post it on here and share it with you guys. Thanks in advance!

Wow! I've never seen so much hate over a U2 song as your hate over Numb. And we are in interference where there is ALOT of hate over some songs!! WHy do you hate it so much?? You explained very clearly on how you hate it but you never gave a reason why? I am just curious to know because I think numb is a very cool song and very different for them! I give :up::up: for Numb!

Don't wanna sound negative or anything, but I really feel the need to start a thread bashing the worst ever U2 song recorded (AKA 'Numb')

It amazes me that anybody actually likes Numb.
I'm not even joking, I think Numb is the worst song they've ever done. Worse than ANYTHING they've ever put out there. Worse than ANYTHING they've ever recorded. I cannot think of another U2 song that I think is worse than Numb. Grace kinda comes close. Miami kinda comes close. Some really rare and rough b-sides come close. But Numb for me is the worst U2 song ever to grace the planet, and I don't understand how anybody could listen to it, nevermind enjoy it! Hell, Numb is one of the worst songs I have heard by anybody, let alone U2! And I am a huge U2 fan!

I think it's tragic that it actually made a best of too. If I had never heard U2 before, went out and brought the best of 90-00, chose a track at random which was 'Numb' and listened to it, then I would be immediately put off! I'd listen to more tracks afterwards, only to find out they're much much better, and then I'd wonder why the pile of crap that is Numb is even included on the CD. IMO it shouldn't have even been on an album, nevermind a best of! Hell, it should never have been recorded! Urgh, the fact that gorgeous songs such as WGRYWH didn't make the best of and 'Numb' did...

I know U2 were trying to be experimental. But sometimes it just doesn't work. Numb is an experimental disaster.

Sorry for the negativity. Just wanted to get that out my system! :wink:

If you'll notice, someone actually had a good reason for reviving the thread. But now that it's just another argument about whether or not it's good, his query will be missed unless some kind soul posts it on this page.

So, first of all..."Numb" is amazing...But the main reason I wanted to revive this thread was because I need an instrumental version of "Numb" for my graduate thesis documentary.

I found an instrumental karaoke version on YouTube, but it's riddled with looped sound clips from the "found footage" in the video. Does anyone know where I can find a "clean" instrumental version?

Once I get this scene working in my film, I'd love to post it on here and share it with you guys. Thanks in advance!

It's important to realise the context. This song is about the numbness the follows the break-up of a long term relationship. It does what it says on the tin. I don't particularly like the song, and rarely listen to it, but give it its due.

My only suggestion would be to attempt to get some backing tracks for it. I tried to search but I also only found the same video you were talking about.

I like this song, specifically the Best Of version. That one packs a bit more punch at the end, and Larry's vocals are brought up in the mix which helps.

i love Numb, i think it works really well as a piece, and the Gimme More Dignity mix is just stunning...

I've always thought of Numb as a kind of novelty song, but not in a bad way. It's experimental and a little silly and U2 were brave enough to release it as a single. I admire it as a gutsy move, which is something U2 doesn't do anymore.

Back
Top Bottom