Numb is an experimental disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NUMB is brilliant...superior to all of their 00s cheesy melodies:up:

:rolleyes: Please...

I've asked this of you and other posters, never got an answer but I like to keep asking, what exactly makes a melody "cheesy". I sometimes think the majority of this board doesn't even know what a melody is...

don't you hate those threads where you don't like a song and would almost agree with the original poster, but they've made their point so damn poorly you don't want to be associated with it?

I hear ya :up:

Numb the worst song ever....has anyone heard "Grace" off of ATYCLB?
One of my favorite songs... Love the lyrics. :heart:

I don't understand why it is necessary to say "it's the worst song ever", when one can say "this is the song I really hate the most". That way you're not making any absolute statements and are just expressing your own opinion.

I absolutely dislike "Boots", but I know a lot of folks who love it, so why would I go around saying "Boots" sucks?

But I also understand the need to vent though :D It's not like I haven't trashed stuff I don't like before.

:rolleyes: Please...

I've asked this of you and other posters, never got an answer but I like to keep asking, what exactly makes a melody "cheesy". I sometimes think the majority of this board doesn't even know what a melody is...

I hear ya :up:

Apparently I don't know what a "cheesy melody" really is.
I think I like it this way. :up:

I love Numb :heart: It's a little slice of awkward genius that, I feel, perfectly incapsulates the idea of the song (too bad they butchered it in the 90-00 collection, though :madwife:).

Zooropa as a whole is a burst of creativity for U2; so many colors flow through the speakers. It's like they didn't stop to question what they were doing (also didn't have much time to stop and ponder), and while that could be detrimental to some group's output, I feel that, at the time, it worked so well for the band - in all honesty, we probably won't see a side that risky and, most of all, PLAYFUL, from U2 ever again (they haven't really matched it since, either. Passengers felt waaaay too cold and mechanical in comparison, and their mini ventures into experimental territory since then (e.g. "Fez") have felt somewhat calculated in their development (still love Fez, though, and it comes off more as a Zooropa/ Passengers hybrid).

Geez, I sure went off there. I just love Numb and that wonderful, underappreciated, awkward masterpiece known as Zooropa :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Wow, funny! Was just sharing some U2 with a friend who is just becoming a new U2 fan. She had not seen a U2 video yet, and I had her watch Numb tonight. She liked it. :D

Personally I really like the song and agree with Tim Wallach, the falsetto is :love:.

They just didn't have time to ruin it any further and make it a contrived radio hit.

The 'Best Of' version was an abomination. Fuck that shit.

Original version is a masterpiece. The Best of version is inferior, but still ok.

They just didn't have time to ruin it any further and make it a contrived radio hit.

The 'Best Of' version was an abomination. Fuck that shit.

Damn right, they cut out all the Eno doodlings after the synth solo, such as the girl voice repetition thing. Zooropa version or nothing for me.

I remember raising my eyebrow to Numb but only heard it first time really with watching the video.

I always thought it was cool that late 90s I met this guy in a cafe, who used to wear a beanie and looked slightly like Edge. damn, wonder how he is doing these days cause last time I saw him was 2000 celebrations. :cute:

anyhow, Numb is a very weird sound but it goes well with Zooropa album, as the whole album is strange, what with The Wanderer to close it all........but yet an awesome album to capture the experiement U2 went through :up:

I do rate Numb a 3 outta 10 too
but 6 outta 10 watching vid.

:wink:

I, personally love the song. It does set a good mood for me when listening to it in the context of the album, although it is somewhat of a dark song, I do get a sense of joy and an urge to air drum along.

Edge's rapping is superb.

The first poster did an enthusiastic job of telling us why s/he hates the song, but didn't give a single reason why.

Well, I... er, I agree with Catman. "Numb" is great, but the Best Of version is awful.

Yep. Not a great song, but ultimately better than Numb IMO

I kinda like Numb, its different but in a good way. As for U2's worst song..........that belongs to Miami. Do I need to remind people of the lyrics "Miami, my mammi". Honorable mention goes to Wake up Dead Man but Miami takes the cake.

Interesting replies. I respect everyones opinion on Numb, I personally hate it. Maybe I should have rephrased bits of my first post though, instead of 'worst song ever' I should have made clear it was only my opinion and not a statement. I know music is subjective.

For me, I like a song with a good melody. A song that sounds like a song. Numb doesn't do that for me.

I kinda like Numb, its different but in a good way. As for U2's worst song..........that belongs to Miami. Do I need to remind people of the lyrics "Miami, my mammi". Honorable mention goes to Wake up Dead Man but Miami takes the cake.

Isn't the my mammy bit a loose reference to Bono's late mother, a topic explored incredibly well on the earlier track, MOFO? I think it's pretty cool.

I love Numb. Half of that probably comes from the brilliance of the video, but it's a fun one to listen to as well.

Numb works really well on Zooropa but as a separate song I don't really like, nor do I hate it.

I don't really get the point of these threads really. :shrug: Everyone could start a thread about their least favourite song and start bashing it.

With Numb, some people were mis-lead by the odd sound and electronics.

But if you really boil it down, like the song or not, Numb is pure art.

Seriously, you have Edge's monotone, dis-engaged, repetitive rap purposefully designed to lack any emotion or spirit which is suddenly overcome by Bono's plaintive falsetto bursting through the darkness to plead for passion.

Without even considering the melody or musical components, from a shear standpoint of craft, it is easily one of their more artsy pieces.

With Numb, some people were mis-lead by the odd sound and electronics.

But if you really boil it down, like the song or not, Numb is pure art.

Seriously, you have Edge's monotone, dis-engaged, repetitive rap purposefully designed to lack any emotion or spirit which is suddenly overcome by Bono's plaintive falsetto bursting through the darkness to plead for passion.

Without even considering the melody or musical components, from a shear standpoint of craft, it is easily one of their more artsy pieces.

Exactly. :up:

Back
Top Bottom