North Star decent version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think the song is bad, really.. the lyrics are decent, the music has a strong melody.

the problem is the execution and over the top production. whoever said power ballad nailed it..

:up:

i've been listening to Stone Roses Sugar Spun Sister all day and it's such a great song! nothing wrong with a bit of sweetness sometimes lol :D

Sugar Spun Sister is a great song. That helps. This North Star...wow. I can't believe it's a U2 song. It's like they took the negative aspects of their last 12 years and distilled them into one shot of treacle.

The soulful "yeah, yeah" is just...I don't know, I felt like my ears were being shat on. The chorus is straight up "I don't know what to say so I'll just say something about love" laziness, and the guitar solo...come on Edge, TRY!

I like the acoustic version, but this is just terrible. I guess U2 are making up for not taking advantage of the late 80s power ballad craze. If they want to know how it's done they should listen to this song:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

YouTube - Def Leppard - Love Bites.mp4 - YouTube

I hope North Star remains unreleased because these two minutes are enough to make it U2s worst recording.

This is from the HTDAAB sessions, right? I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the songs worked on with Rick Rubin in 2006.

Sugar Spun Sister is a great song. That helps. This North Star...wow. I can't believe it's a U2 song. It's like they took the negative aspects of their last 12 years and distilled them into one shot of treacle.

The soulful "yeah, yeah" is just...I don't know, I felt like my ears were being shat on. The chorus is straight up "I don't know what to say so I'll just say something about love" laziness, and the guitar solo...come on Edge, TRY!

I like the acoustic version, but this is just terrible. I guess U2 are making up for not taking advantage of the late 80s power ballad craze. If they want to know how it's done they should listen to this song:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

YouTube - Def Leppard - Love Bites.mp4 - YouTube

I hope North Star remains unreleased because these two minutes are enough to make it U2s worst recording.

you should've posted "Pour Some Sugar On Me" instead - you got to keep on topic you know :D

Ha, I immediately thought of that when I saw the video. What was the story ... that they were in Germany (?) and the cab driver was blasting Pour Some Sugar On Me through great speakers, and the sheer massive sound production of it blew them away?

Something like that.

Not half as close to Cedars of Lebanon dull though.

North Star is dull despite the bombast because it's so uninspired and predictable.

Cedars is dull because it's subtle, and I actually think it's one of their most interesting songs, and maybe their finest polygamous marriage of music, lyrics, and performance. Every time I hear the song I like it more, and I'm beginning to think it's one of the best songs ever written.

Now, for some sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4xwmZ6zi4

Hell yeah, Hysteria is a great song. At least 30 times better than North Star.

Close one with Cedars though. They're so similar and all...

Cedars is dull because it's subtle, and I actually think it's one of their most interesting songs, and maybe their finest polygamous marriage of music, lyrics, and performance. Every time I hear the song I like it more, and I'm beginning to think it's one of the best songs ever written.

you think it's dull and one of the best songs ever written?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom