North Star confirmed in Transformers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
per @U2-

Confirmed: U2's 'North Star' Appears In Transformers Movie

"It was the same tune, the same melody but it had a rich production. It wasn't unplugged. It had a mellow piano and violins. I could say that it sounded like "Winter" from the Brothers movie -- they could be heard back-to-back in a new album. I must say that it sounds like such a great song, a big and touching ballad."

This is an odd bit of news. A new U2 song appears in its finished studio version for the first time, totally unannounced, in a shitty robot blockbuster movie sequel, and it's only for a minute? And it isn't on the soundtrack. Weird.

Anyway, I hope it means the full version will be released soon. Although, I don't really see how, since it's not on the soundtrack and there's no new U2 album in sight.

I wonder what's going on with EBW. I'm much more interested in where that song is than this. (sorry NS just doesn't do it for me)

Ugh, what brave taper is going to go in and stomach the movie in order to leak a recording of the song? :yuck:

So someone saw the movie and heard what she thought was North Star for about a minute?

How is that "confirmation" of any kind?

how isn't it?
anyone who's heard it live is going to recognize it.. the hook's pretty catchy.

also, if rumour has it that the song appears, then you're going to listen closely for it

This is strange, but I'm glad because it means we should be able to get a new U2 song out of it.

I for one am looking forward to hearing the studio version of North Star. We had heard the piano in the first live version of NS but no guitar solo. IMO the song sounds much more appealling with the strings, piano, and extra guitar work. Worst case I think, it gets b-side status.

how isn't it?
anyone who's heard it live is going to recognize it.. the hook's pretty catchy.

also, if rumour has it that the song appears, then you're going to listen closely for it

That people are taking this at face value is ridiculous to me and indicative of some of the absolute silliness that goes on here. The use of the word "confirmed" is illogical to me, at least in this case.

I'm sure none of us have ever heard a snippet of a song and identified it as something else because it sounds similar to that other tune. It's an extremely easy mistake to make.

So I'll wait for official confirmation but, in the meantime, continue to speculate away.

That people are taking this at face value is ridiculous to me and indicative of some of the absolute silliness that goes on here. The use of the word "confirmed" is illogical to me, at least in this case.

I'm sure none of us have ever heard a snippet of a song and identified it as something else because it sounds similar to that other tune. It's an extremely easy mistake to make.

So I'll wait for official confirmation but, in the meantime, continue to speculate away.

Me calling it confirmed (which @U2 did) is indicative of the silliness that goes on here? hyperbolic much? U2Gigs supposedly received a tweet that North Star - not Mercy as a fan originally speculated who saw a pre-screening - was in the new Transformers, then somebody who saw it (obviously a u2 fan if they recognize the melody and were able to compare it to the Brothers version of winter) says that North Star is indeed in it.

I mean, I highly doubt that @U2 is pulling one over on us, and I doubt that the reader/person who tipped off @U2 and U2gigs are pulling one over on us, but that's just me.

If you want to wait for an audio rip or until you see the movie yourself (don't think I'll be going to see the movie unless somebody pays for my ticket), sure, that's fine. But I think it's really being a skeptic just for the sake of it to call me out on this one.

To each their own though and I don't take offense to any of this, so it's alright.

You know, most of the new songs from between the last album and the current tour have been given relatively official releases. I wonder if that has been an intentional strategy to please the fans or just trying out a new way of releasing stuff. In any event, I get the feeling they don't want to touch these songs again and just released them to get them out there and not having to worry about it for the next album.

I guess what I'm trying to say is they seem to want to release what was great about Songs of Ascent and forget about the whole idea after the 2009 release did not happen and seemingly having shelved the album. R.I.P. Songs of Ascent:sad:

Kingdom of Your Love / Soon - Was released with the 360° Tour Deluxe Edition
Winter - Linear and Brothers soundtrack
Every Breaking Wave - Still unreleased (Hopefully what Lilywhite said is true and they still intend to finish it)
North Star - Assumingly included in the aforementioned Transformers movie.
Mercy - Released with Wide Awake in Europe EP
The Flowering Rose of Glastonbury - Didn't get played at Glastonbury, probably not included in the Danger Mouse sessions since Bono said recently there was no instruments on the tracks yet.
The Return of The Stingray Guitar - 1984 leftover and instrumental opener, don't see them doing much about it to be frank.

Going to see the movie on Friday. I hope the rumor is true, otherwise I'll be waiting for its appearance for the whole film and leave a cinema not fully satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom