North Star confirmed in Transformers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I already forgot what interview it was, but it the comment in question made it sound like the Danger Mouse tracks were just vocals, with no instruments yet.

Which seemed weird - surely there would at least be sparse instrumentation with the vocals .... but what do I know. And I thought there were other comments earlier that made it sound like the damned thing was supposedly almost done, so ...... who the eff knows.

He said it on the NBC interview with Brian Williams, but I don't think he was being serious. It's on the extended version of the interview online somewhere when Williams asks them about the Danger Mouse sessions.

The interview was focused on Spider Man, I think it aired the night before the premiere.

I already forgot what interview it was, but it the comment in question made it sound like the Danger Mouse tracks were just vocals, with no instruments yet.

Which seemed weird - surely there would at least be sparse instrumentation with the vocals .... but what do I know. And I thought there were other comments earlier that made it sound like the damned thing was supposedly almost done, so ...... who the eff knows.

I thought Lillywhite said he has heard the tracks and the songs just weren't done....I would think he would say that all that was done was the vocals...which is really weird in that what the hell is bono singing off of? its more likely that the vocals are done and the music isn't.

So is this the first official taste of Danger Mouse producing U2 ?

I dunno. Perhaps. The title "North Star" has been around since pre- or immediately post-HTDAAB times, if I'm not mistaken. If produced by DM, the production would be interesting to hear, but who knows how much of an impact he'd have had on the song itself if the song has been tossed around for several years. Hard to say.

If the new album landed as originally planned in May, this would make perfect sense to have some co-promotion with the Transformers movie. (i.e movie featuring new U2 song)

Since the album was rescheduled, I guess they kept the whole North Star thing quite without pulling it from the movie, maybe just withdrawing it from the official soundtrack.

I don't know what I was thinking, taking what Bono said at face value.

Have I learned NOTHING over the years? :doh:

:wink:

you should change your signature, let it serve as a reminder of this glaring oversight :shame:

Is there any possibility this will see an official release? Or will it go the way of winter, and just basically be forgotten about?
I agree that it will be very interesting to see what the production is like, and if its an indication of whether it was produced by Danger mouse, or Eno, or just U2 etc...

I wonder if this North Star is an original out-take and not from the recent studio work with Danger Mouse and/or others.

There are 3 versions of Winter after all. Maybe (like Winter) this North Star is not the intended final album version.

If it's not on the soundtrack i would imagine that it will be streamed on the U2.com. You never know though with this band and the numerous questionable decisions they've made in the last decade.

If the new album landed as originally planned in May, this would make perfect sense to have some co-promotion with the Transformers movie. (i.e movie featuring new U2 song)

Since the album was rescheduled, I guess they kept the whole North Star thing quite without pulling it from the movie, maybe just withdrawing it from the official soundtrack.

OMG! OMG!

This means NORTH STAR is teh co-1st single off of 'Songs of Project Zero Five One: ASCENT!' The actual first single, 'Every Waking Brave' is described by Bono as "the mother of all rock n roll songs". According to bands manager (after a 3 day bender) its "a sure-fire hit".

SOPZFO: A will be released in the 4th Qtr of 2011, just in time for the Holiday$, with an arena tour to follow early 2012. "I'm not giving anything away," boasts tour designer Willie Williams, " but with this next tour we're gonna do something thats never been done before..."

Production on the album will include Redone, Will.i.am, Danger Mouse, Steve Lillywhite, Rick Rubin, Brian Eno, Chris Thomas, Donald Duck, Flood, Daniel Lanois, Ice-T, and a bunch of monkeys from the zoo.

Early reports range from a "new, daring sound" to "Coldplay on acid". Rolling Stone gives SOPZFO: A five stars ***** and calls it "U2'
s 14th Masterpiece".

OMG! OMG!

This means NORTH STAR is teh co-1st single off of 'Songs of Project Zero Five One: ASCENT!' The actual first single, 'Every Waking Brave' is described by Bono as "the mother of all rock n roll songs". According to bands manager (after a 3 day bender) its "a sure-fire hit".

SOPZFO: A will be released in the 4th Qtr of 2011, just in time for the Holiday$, with an arena tour to follow early 2012. "I'm not giving anything away," boasts tour designer Willie Williams, " but with this next tour we're gonna do something thats never been done before..."

Production on the album will include Redone, Will.i.am, Danger Mouse, Steve Lillywhite, Rick Rubin, Brian Eno, Chris Thomas, Donald Duck, Flood, Daniel Lanois, Ice-T, and a bunch of monkeys from the zoo.

Early reports range from a "new, daring sound" to "Coldplay on acid". Rolling Stone gives SOPZFO: A five stars ***** and calls it "U2'
s 14th Masterpiece".

:lmao: Lovely! :D

BTW... Wasn't "North Star" a song originally written circa-Bomb times for Cash after his death?

Can't remember if it was specifically written for The Man in Black (although that does sound correct) but it certainly was written around the Bomb era. It's easy to tell, too. As I've noted before, Bono recycles the "love and logic" line from Miracle Drug, and one of the turns in the vocal melody late in the song reminds me a lot of something from A Man And A Woman. Very clearly a HTDAAB-era tune.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Very clearly a HTDAAB-era tune.

...which may keep it from ever getting released on a proper U2 album, at least without an impressive reincarnation. Same for Mercy, as well as the 2006 beachclip 404 (All My Life), which I've always thought has a brilliant pop chorus and would be a shame to toss away. They all sound too clearly like early-2000s U2 for them to keep them in their current forms on any future album.

just got back from the premier... managed to get a recording of north star if anyone is interested. it's beach clip quality though.

North Star dates back to the HTDAAB sessions, and it was recorded featuring guest vocals from Michael W. Smith.

To those guessing we're going to hear a bit of Danger Mouse's U2 production, remember Bono's Hot Press interview where he noted the separate projects of the DM sessions, the club project and Songs of Ascent and he put North Star in with SoA, so I'm guessing the production is from Lanois/Eno/Gaffney, et al.

OMG! OMG!

s 14th Masterpiece".

"Every Waking Brave" :lol:

'Coldplay on acid' :applaud:

You missed the part about Edge catching HQ on fire while tuning up for EWB

OMG! OMG!

s 14th Masterpiece".

:lol: I nearly died laughing.

Thanks for trying to murder me, asshole.

If you watch Dark of the Moon in sync with Project Zero, you get eaten alive by flying monkeys.

Back
Top Bottom