No talk about Lee's Beautiful Day performance on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He seems like a very nice guy but as a singer/performer he's blandity bland. I think it was a very poor choice of song for him and that it takes a dynamic singer/performer to pull that song off.

Wow, he actually turned Beautiful Day into a John Mayer song. Jesus Christ on a rotten buttered piece of toast. You're a nice guy, Lee, but stop it. Before I throw a hockey puck at your balls.

^^^^WTF!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is going around and turning "Beautiful Day" into a BAD DAY. U2 should just sue American Idol already to stop this nightmare

Wow, he actually turned Beautiful Day into a John Mayer song. Jesus Christ on a rotten buttered piece of toast. You're a nice guy, Lee, but stop it. Before I throw a hockey puck at your balls.

I know right? There are more than enough John Mayer songs in this world already. We don't need awesome songs turned into more John Mayer songs.

The roses in bloom? Why God Why. :sad: *stabs eardrums*

Yeah, I don't get that lyric change.

I must be in the minority here, but I actually like the acoustic version of BD WAY more than his karaoke version he performed on the show. At least he sounds like he has some passion this time. The karaoke version was one big yawn. And yes, somewhere right now John Mayer is pissed he didn't think of this version first. :doh::D

I didn't watch AI this season, but I do really like the fact that winner chose a U2 song to cover as his first single. I love that it shows U2's music truly is timeless. Too bad his version of BD generally sucks! :lol:

Can this...halfbreed even be called "Beautiful Day" anymore? It's the same words, and the same title, but it's not the same song.

If I had a sig, this would be in it. :up:

:lmao: . . . this post just made my morning :up:

Me too. That post made me laugh so hard, it was almost worth sitting through that shittastic song. GAF. :up:

Some hilarious youtube comments:

Man, Lee just keep getting better and better AFTER Idol. All of his 3 live performances (Access Hollywood, Ellen and now Regis) have been showing more stable, relaxed vocal.. he stays in tune.. and his artistry shows well!! He's pretty gifted to arrange a famous song to fit for his own style.. clever guy. Awesome acoustic version!

He sings a little like Natalie Merchant. He's a true artist. He's not about Adam Lambert style of costumes, lights, makeup, crude things to get attention.... he about his singing. We need more artists like Lee and Natalie.

So glad we get to hear someone so real and nice as Lee instead of another Adam Lambert type.

he is so goooooood. i kind of like his version better than U2's, and i like his acustic version better than the one he sang at the finaly.

:crack:

sounds a lot like free falling this way

I agree!

YouTube - Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

Yeah when will there be a show like American Songwriter where songs are judged. A singer can make or break a song but if a song is just bad (Like most American Idol original songs) no one can help it.

Some hilarious youtube comments:
:facepalm:

EDIT:
Idol' winner DeWyze debuts to lackluster sales
June 2, 2010, 9:51 PM EST

By Hunter Walker
TheWrap.com

Complaints that "American Idol" voters chose one of the least talented singers from among a particularly mediocre crop of contestants may be bearing out.

Sales figures are in for newly crowned season 9 champ Lee DeWyze's debut single, a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day" -- and they're way down compared to the numbers posted by past "Idol" winners.

DeWyze's single sold 95,000 copies in its first week out. That's a decline of nearly 30 percent from the 134,000 sales of season 8 winner Kris Allen's debut single "No Boundaries." And DeWyze had less than half the sales of season 7 winner David Cook's debut, which sold 236,000 copies.
Okay, faith in a benevolent God renewed. Thanks, MrsSpringsteen! :D

Idol winner DeWyze debuts to lackluster sales
June 2, 2010, 9:51 PM EST

By Hunter Walker
TheWrap.com

Complaints that "American Idol" voters chose one of the least talented singers from among a particularly mediocre crop of contestants may be bearing out.

Sales figures are in for newly crowned season 9 champ Lee DeWyze's debut single, a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day" -- and they're way down compared to the numbers posted by past "Idol" winners.

DeWyze's single sold 95,000 copies in its first week out. That's a decline of nearly 30 percent from the 134,000 sales of season 8 winner Kris Allen's debut single "No Boundaries." And DeWyze had less than half the sales of season 7 winner David Cook's debut, which sold 236,000 copies.

motivator576b4baa758214cb4e5389e2f9.jpg

At least they didn't ask if U2 covered a Lee DeWyze song

I guess Lee did the national anthem last night at the Celtics Lakers game-either they didn't show it or I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom