No intro Where The Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickthelamb

Babyface
I was trailing through youtube U2 concerts a while ago and, I'm pretty sure of this being a US leg of the original Joshua Tree tour, that they played WTSHNN without the guitar picking intro. It just appears to start up mid-set. Does anyone know which concert this is?

The 9/22/87 show opens with Stand By Me, and they go right into Streets...no intro. Sounds like they did this a few times. The bootleg is easy to find.

That's what I'm asking. What gig was it? I can't find it.

note for future: when you make a post with a specific reference to a YouTube clip, you might want to share a link to that clip. this is not difficult, at least for most.

bonus note: the clip probably has show information in the comments or directly from the YT poster. if you read it, you might have found your answer.

Finally found it due to another question about Larry's drum sound:
U2 - September 17, 1987. Boston, MA, Boston Gardens

The night after was a bit of a ropey intro to Streets:

note for future: when you make a post with a specific reference to a YouTube clip, you might want to share a link to that clip. this is not difficult, at least for most.

bonus note: the clip probably has show information in the comments or directly from the YT poster. if you read it, you might have found your answer.

I was actually saying I didn't know where the link was and was asking if someone could tell me.

Oh dear. I think it would have worked better if edge came in as Bono said “where the streets have no name”, but there’s an odd silence and it’s so jarring when it just starts

It's quite fascinating looking back at the sets from those shows. IIRC, Streets didn't even debut live for quite a few shows and JT wasn't featured that much early on. A capsule in time, when the songs that would become staples were still being worked out.

The note for this show on U2gigs mentions issues with the band’s lighting rig, resulting in the use of house lights from IWF on. I wonder if the red back drop and spot light array were being finicky so they ditched the intro.

1987%20-%20Joshua%20Tree%20Tour%2F1987-09-17%20-%20Boston%20%2Fcarla_trottier_4459_93085635387_6309635_n%20%282%29.jpg

Remember Bono donning Larry Bird's shirt...years later in the new building we'd see his basketball skills on full display.

I just heard "pinball wizard" from The Who for the first time in my life. Does the back guitar track sound familiar? :hmm: It reminds me of Streets.

I'd rather they experimented with the arrangement than not play it at all (as in 2018). The intro has evolved, becoming a segue from another song with a phat keyboard wash instead of the church organ sound. It's been condensed, which makes sense to me. I mean, how many angles can you present it from? It's a bit like "SPOILER ALERT: All the lights come on really, really bright." :huh: I actually wish the medley bug would reach the U2 camp a la Genesis. Mix 3-4 of the "obligatories" in a creative mashup.

Back
Top Bottom