NLOTH vs. HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icebergy

The Fly
After having Nloth on repeat for 2 days HTDAAB sounds even worse

Ive never been a hater of Bomb but rated as a middle of the road u2 album but after listening to NLOTH it just sounds BAD!!
If you havent yet go on to your music system and turn on bomb for a while all of the flaws are really highlighted after the new album....
so do you guys agree?

Bomb was already one of my least favourite albums long before NLOTH came out so I don't think it affected my opinion of the album itself. It definitely affected by opinion of the band -- they redeemed themselves somewhat in my eyes.

Well, I think the horrible loud compression on HTDAAB sticks out, although in terms of the songwriting, HTDAAB has lots of bright (if not always well executed) ideas and heartfelt songs.

I think the only three songs on Bomb I'll ever listen to again (at least with any regularity) are City, Vertigo live, and the Killahurtz mix of OOTS. After hearing NLOTH... I'm scared to listen to those even. I literally haven't listened to anything other than NLOTH over the past two days, anyway.

Miracle Drug and City of Blinding Lights are still great tracks that should be included in future live shows

I would still get a kick out of them playing Vertigo every 3rd or 4th show. Maybe even less. What I would really love is if they reinvented some songs from the last two albums for the live show. Not even to necessarily fit in with the new material... just to freshen them up a bit.

Sadly, I haven't listened to every song on either HTDAAB or ATYCLB since probably 6 months after they came out, respectively. So I agree about NLOTH totally showing up and besting Bomb... As tentative as I am about Stand Up Comedy, I doubt I'll be skipping it, or any other track, from NLOTH. But who knows. I hope all of these songs still rock my noggin for a long time like the rest of their pre-2000 catalog.

I haven't heard NLOTH yet, but I'm sure there were many folk back in '04 who felt the same way about HTDAAB in comparison to ATYCLB....

I like all the songs on bomb but the compression on the CD is shit. The new album mp3's don't sound brick-walled. This album beats bomb and is closing on Joshua Tree personally.

I've not heard the new album and won't anytime soon, but I rate HTDAAB as the 4th or 5th best U2 album, so obviously I don't agree with this thread.

I think people on this site are, in general, too obsessed with 'ranking' songs and albums against each other, as if it were a competition. Note: it's art.

You guys kill me.

In 3 months flat you'll start bitching about NLOTH.

Here's a newsflash:

NLOTH ain't all THAT different from Bomb.

I'd elaborate, but why bother in this place?

Carry on.

You guys kill me.

Here's a newsflash:

Carry on.

You should elaborate because people are gonna want you to justify your stance....

Well, let me start by saying this is a killer album.

But let's remember, it all started the same way with Bomb.

Hey; here's an idea: everyone go listen to NLOTH and then imediately listen to Bomb.

That much difference?

Yeah, some, maybe more than some. Vastly different? Innovative? A stark change in style?
Answer that yourself.

Again: great album. I'm really happy with it.

I was also really happy with Bomb.

Pluses for NLOTH:
-Bono's voice/lyrics much better.
-Larry is killin it.
-More mature songs.

Similar to Bomb:
-production (sound quality/compression/mastering/layering)
-after the intial tidal wave of hysteria, people will start to pick away at it. I can already see it.
-It's a new U2 release; being that they're usually 4+ years apart, everyone is in heaven right now.....which is great.
watch what happens in mmm....1-2 months.

Does anyone .......let me in the sound,let me in the sound......know if NLOH will be ....let me in the sound now......availible in a pill format? I need to get it into my bloodstream a.s.a.p.!

You guys kill me.

Here's a newsflash:

Carry on.

Or maybe you're just wrong. Maybe it's just a better album. Happens all the time. People release bad albums, then they make good albums. It's a common thing, actually.

NLOTH - Vertigo
Magnificent - Miracle Drug
MOS - SYCMIOYO
UC - LAPOE
IGCIIDGCT - COBL
GOYB - ABOY
SUC - AMAAW
F-BB - CFYT
Winter - OSC
Breathe - OOTS
COL - Yahweh

Final results NLOTH vs. HTDAAB = 9 - 2

Oh, I can see this becoming such a trainwreck....

Why is HTDAAB the only album put up to this type of scrutiny. Are people so intent on knocking it down a few rungs?

Why is HTDAAB the only album put up to this type of scrutiny. Are people so intent on knocking it down a few rungs?

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me, HTDAAB has always struck me as disingenuous. As if they weren't even doing an album that they were comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom