NLOTH´s real mediocrity trio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed.

Also, strange how some of the songs from OS1 by Passengers are featured on U2's 2nd greatest hits package and classified as U2 songs there. Seems like U2 themselves don't see it as being a clear cut non-u2 album either.

Furthermore, they also have played two of those songs during U2 shows on many occasions, so maybe there is more of a connection then I would like to admit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Furthermore, they also have played two of those songs during U2 shows on many occasions, so maybe there is more of a connection then I would like to admit.

We should start a thread discussing whether or not the Passengers songs they played on tour were cover songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should start a thread discussing whether or not the Passengers songs they played on tour were cover songs.

Lol....well done!

The pretentious and pomp on both sides of this most asinine argument in this forum since greenslimer is more grating than the original subject of this thread, way to go :up:

And your whining completes the typical farce. :up:

So people who love 80's, 90's and 00's U2 albums/songs and rank them in their top 5 but don't like Passengers have "bland tastes"??

To me the boring argument is that in order for U2 to do something interesting it has to be "experimental/different" for U2 or its them just "playing it safe".

Your Blue Room on its own is a decent song, atmospheric and has some slight aspect that I enjoy but for me it suffers because it is surrounded by awful "songs" and I associate it with Passengers. If it were on Zooropa or Pop, it may very well get a boost being surrounded by higher quality songs.

But that's just my take....

Agreed. The "your music taste is bland" counter is probably worse than the people who don't think a side project can still be a band project.

I'm always a little more reactionary when I post in here, that's why I have the album forum blocked and don't venture in here all that often. So take my comments with a few grains of salt. I am a faceless person posting on an internet forum in a thread with people I don't know and don't really care about so I'm come across as a bit more of an arsehole, cos I find it enjoyable for about three seconds.

But it's posts like the above that have always annoyed me. I like OS1, would probably rate it somewhere in the bottom quarter of U2 albums if I was to make a list, but I have seen hundreds of posts in the nine years I've been on this forum hanging shit on the album and its songs because it is different to the U2 norm. So many great moments - brilliantly manic (mostly-)instrumentals like United Colours, Always Forever Now, One Minute Warning. Truly beautiful pieces of work like Beach Sequence. The ones everyone knows and loves, Slug, Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo. Even the more obscure tracks are, at the very worst, interesting. And it shits me that people immediately classify them and the album as a whole as some sort of embarrassing "experimental" misfire, full of tracks that can't be considered "songs" because they aren't verse-chorus etc and don't fit the traditional U2 mould. It's like it's something to be ashamed of. And that mentality, that approach to that album, has always felt very shallow to me.

Guys. What do you think of my alternate Passengers track list?

Vertigo
Stand Up Comedy
The Miracle
Wild Honey
Original Of The Species
Love And Peace Or Else
Elevation
Window In The Skies
Crazy Tonight
Grace

Vertigo
Stand Up Comedy
The Miracle
Wild Honey
Original Of The Species
Love And Peace Or Else
Elevation
Window In The Skies
Crazy Tonight
Grace

It works, because none of those are "real" "U2" "songs" anyways. Just a whole bunch of "covers".

I'm always a little more reactionary when I post in here, that's why I have the album forum blocked and don't venture in here all that often. So take my comments with a few grains of salt. I am a faceless person posting on an internet forum in a thread with people I don't know and don't really care about so I'm come across as a bit more of an arsehole, cos I find it enjoyable for about three seconds.

But it's posts like the above that have always annoyed me. I like OS1, would probably rate it somewhere in the bottom quarter of U2 albums if I was to make a list, but I have seen hundreds of posts in the nine years I've been on this forum hanging shit on the album and its songs because it is different to the U2 norm. So many great moments - brilliantly manic (mostly-)instrumentals like United Colours, Always Forever Now, One Minute Warning. Truly beautiful pieces of work like Beach Sequence. The ones everyone knows and loves, Slug, Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo. Even the more obscure tracks are, at the very worst, interesting. And it shits me that people immediately classify them and the album as a whole as some sort of embarrassing "experimental" misfire, full of tracks that can't be considered "songs" because they aren't verse-chorus etc and don't fit the traditional U2 mould. It's like it's something to be ashamed of. And that mentality, that approach to that album, has always felt very shallow to me.

Okay, you convinced me to give it a listen again :up:

Cool. Now you may still not like it, which is completely acceptable, as music is subjective. But hopefully you can see why the offhand dismissal of it and its songs, and the ad nauseam argument about where it stands in U2's catalogue, is so fucking annoying.

Cool. Now you may still not like it, which is completely acceptable, as music is subjective. But hopefully you can see why the offhand dismissal of it and its songs, and the ad nauseam argument about where it stands in U2's catalogue, is so fucking annoying.

Would you agree that there's no need to consider it a proper U2 album in order to think it's a great album? Or do you believe that those 2 arguments go hand in hand?

Why does that matter? It has absolutely nothing to do with the music itself. Why not just accept it's part of their discography and move the fuck on?

Why not just accept it's part of their discography and move the fuck on?
Why does that matter? It has absolutely nothing to do with the music itself.

---

Ok, I accept this is just running in circles. I really can't see why people has to see it as a U2 album in order to enjoy it, but whatever.

Cheers!

How about this. Whether Passengers is a U2 album or not has absolutely nothing to do with the music itself. So some consider it a U2 album, cool. Some don't, also cool. Doesn't change the fact that you like or dislike the songs. Nobody gives a true fuck if it's a 'real' U2 album or not. It's out there, U2 made it with Eno. It's about the songs, not the fuckin' name on the album sleeve.

Can we PLEASE stop this discussion, for as long as it lasts? It's fucking pointless, though this thread didn't have much of a point to begin with, but still.

I think there's more value dissecting the Passengers brand than there is in the insane notion of mediocre songs on No Line.

As I doubt neither Eno nor U2 would consider the album as one of the better things they've done, they're probably both happy it is out there under the name Passengers.

How about this. Whether Passengers is a U2 album or not has absolutely nothing to do with the music itself. So some consider it a U2 album, cool. Some don't, also cool. Doesn't change the fact that you like or dislike the songs. Nobody gives a true fuck if it's a 'real' U2 album or not. It's out there, U2 made it with Eno. It's about the songs, not the fuckin' name on the album sleeve.

Can we PLEASE stop this discussion, for as long as it lasts? It's fucking pointless, though this thread didn't have much of a point to begin with, but still.

I agree with you (and with basically everybody who has already said the same.

I've only been here since not so long ago, so I didn't know how or how much this topic has been debated.

Still, what I find weird is that it seems that everybody assumes that if you like the album = it's a U2 album, if you don't like the album = it's not a U2 album, so the debate gets "contaminated" (or that's what it seems to me) because people who don't like the album feels offended when someone suggests that it can be included in U2's catalog, and the people who like the album feels offended when someone says it is not a U2 album because it "implies" that they're just dismissing it.

I'd guess that if both arguments were broken appart, the "is it a U2 album" wouldn't be as divisive as is... that was sort of my point.

Vertigo
Stand Up Comedy
The Miracle
Wild Honey
Original Of The Species
Love And Peace Or Else
Elevation
Window In The Skies
Crazy Tonight
Grace

Thanks Mikal for including my favorite song ever - Grace :wink:

Basically this argument surfaces every few months or years and it gets beaten to death and back to life and dead again. Nobody ever reaches any sort of consensus so it's pointless.

It's not a U2 album proper but I hardly see how that fucking matters so much to people. It's a side project. Doesn't make it any less U2's music as Volcano Choir is or isn't Bon Iver music. But if he played VC music live I wouldn't be shocked and I certainly wouldn't raise a fuss about him "covering" Volcano Choir.

Even though I would bleed from my eyeballs if I was there.

It's not a U2 album proper but I hardly see how that fucking matters so much to people. It's a side project. Doesn't make it any less U2's music as Volcano Choir is or isn't Bon Iver music. But if he played VC music live I wouldn't be shocked and I certainly wouldn't raise a fuss about him "covering" Volcano Choir.

:up:

As I doubt neither Eno nor U2 would consider the album as one of the better things they've done, they're probably both happy it is out there under the name Passengers.

Given that U2 left [insert b-side of choice here] off [relevant album], I can't say I place much stock in what they think.

So, I started listening to it after many years again yesterday. My first impression is that it sounds like it is not coming from Earth, but from some other place in cosmos, or spaceship travelling through distant galaxies. Then I fell asleep... :)

Back
Top Bottom