NLOTH´s real mediocrity trio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unknown Caller is as spectacular whiff by U2 as they've ever had. It had all the ingredients of a great tune, but just utterly butchered by sub par lyrics and an absolutely dreadful chorus.

It is to U2 what the blizzard of 2015 NYC forecast is to weathermen.

If I were you, I would call you a troll, but I´m not and I respect your opinion :)

I didn't have a huge issue with the lyrics for UC. I got the concept. Unfortunately, when you use technical terminology, the song will forever be dated.

It's like if someone wrote a song about Gingerbread or iOS 6.

The chorus has awful lyrics, but I've never understood why the verses cop shit by proxy. They're perfectly fine.

I didn't have a huge issue with the lyrics for UC. I got the concept. Unfortunately, when you use technical terminology, the song will forever be dated.

It's like if someone wrote a song about Gingerbread or iOS 6.

Pull down
The Status Bar
Click Wifi on
OOOOH OH OH
OOOOH OH OH OH OH

As much as I love Unknown Caller, in general, never write technology lyrics in song. You're asking for a bad time.

The concept, theme and sound of UC are really good. The lyrics, though, just dreadful.
This song had the potential to be something special, but it fell flat.
I think 80's era U2 would've taken this song into greatness, 2000s era just doesn't have the creative nuts that they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Unknown Caller is as spectacular whiff by U2 as they've ever had. It had all the ingredients of a great tune, but just utterly butchered by sub par lyrics and an absolutely dreadful chorus.

It is to U2 what the blizzard of 2015 NYC forecast is to weathermen.

This is as accurate a description of Unknown Caller that one could post.

This song is the Ryan Leaf of songs!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

As much as I love Unknown Caller, in general, never write technology lyrics in song. You're asking for a bad time.

But my favorite already-dated music lyric reference ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFAzPl1QmE

Take back Vanessa Redgrave
Take back Joe Piscopo
Take back Eddie Murphy
Give 'em all some place to go

Tom Petty believed in you Joe. He believed that yours would be a name that would be a reference point for the ages.

Close second favorite, though, is the entirety of the chorus from Destiny's Child's "Bug-A-Boo".

You make me wanna throw my pager out the window
Tell MCI to cut the phone calls
Break my lease so I can move
Cause you a bug a boo, a bug a boo
I wanna put your number on the call block
Have AOL make my email stop
Cause you a bug a boo
You buggin what? you buggin who? you buggin me!
And dont you see it aint cool

But my favorite already-dated music lyric reference ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFAzPl1QmE

Take back Vanessa Redgrave
Take back Joe Piscopo
Take back Eddie Murphy
Give 'em all some place to go

Tom Petty believed in you Joe. He believed that yours would be a name that would be a reference point for the ages.

Close second favorite, though, is the entirety of the chorus from Destiny's Child's "Bug-A-Boo".

You make me wanna throw my pager out the window
Tell MCI to cut the phone calls
Break my lease so I can move
Cause you a bug a boo, a bug a boo
I wanna put your number on the call block
Have AOL make my email stop
Cause you a bug a boo
You buggin what? you buggin who? you buggin me!
And dont you see it aint cool

:lol:Well said. I forget how banal and stupid most Destiny's Child songs were. Anyone remember these winning and well thought out song titles - No,No,No and Bills,Bills,Bills along with Jumpin',Jumpin'? :doh: No wonder the group is no more.

Well Thavidesco, apparently you are not alone in your feelings concerning White As Snow,
Radio.com has ranked the U2 catalog from least to best and WAS was dead last. (Personally I would choose Grace).

Take a look.....U2 Songs Ranked « Radio.com

Wow, 4 of the bottom 5 off of NLOTH! Those 4 are actually my least favorite, on the album and of the 2000's, so I'm okay with that :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well Thavidesco, apparently you are not alone in your feelings concerning White As Snow,
Radio.com has ranked the U2 catalog from least to best and WAS was dead last. (Personally I would choose Grace).

Take a look.....U2 Songs Ranked « Radio.com

Thanks for info :)

Anyway, I don´t cosider WAS to be a bad song, To be more specific, I don´t consider it to be exactly a U2 song. I consider it to be a reedition of someone else´s already written tune.
Anyway, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Wild Honey or Cedars or for me much weaker songs.

That list is so terrible, far too many hideous choices to mention.

I only read the first three songs listed:

141. White as Snow
Meh... I don't think it's the worst, but I can understand it...

140. Original of the Species
Woah... I mean, maybe it's not outstanding, but 140? second to last? c'mon!

139. FEZ-Being Born
Ok, that's it. This list is not for me...

:huh:

Having Eno and Lanois as full co-writers and collaborators really seems to throw NLOTH off-kilter. Sure, they'd always had a say in past U2 albums as producers, but I dunno what it was about this record that seemed to water everything down. Even with the tracks on the record that I like, there's room for improvement, except for 'Moment Of Surrender.' (No surprise that's the track that seemed to be the most organically produced.) I'm not blaming Eno/Lanois themselves since we don't know what the recording dynamic was like, and perhaps it was just the four band members themselves who weren't on their A-game this time around. Yet that said, it blows my mind that songs like 'North Star' and 'Winter' were either left on the cutting room floor or saved for this non-existent Songs Of Ascent record when they could've greatly improved NLOTH by replacing a couple of the weaker tracks.

Having Eno and Lanois as full co-writers and collaborators really seems to throw NLOTH off-kilter.
Yep.

Eno and Lanois have (seemingly... we don't really know) done good work for U2 over the years, and I like them in general. (Eno's pseudo-brainy "deep" image kind of rubs me the wrong way, however.)

However, the words "rock'n'roll" and "Brian Eno" do not go together. If Eno had met a young Chuck Berry, he'd probably have turned him into Philip Glass.

Inviting your producer(s) into the band as full collaborators & writers is kind of like Martin Scorcese deciding the actors will take over the movie and direct it. However interesting the result, it's not quite a Martin Scorcese movie if Leonardo Dicaprio directed it, now is it?

I think the best move U2 made in many years -- in terms of studio recordings -- is rejecting both Eno/Lanois and Steve Lillywhite as producers of the current stuff.

Come to think of it, why can't U2 just produce an album themselves?

Bono doesn't even know he has a child in Chile. Who are we to say that Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois actually worked with U2?

Wait... if Eno hadn't really worked on Passengers...

Is Passengers a U2 album after all???

IZ PASSENGARS U2 ALBUM?? is probably the dumbest running argument in Interference history. I can't fathom how much bandwith has been wasted on that.

There's no end in sight either, unless Brian Eno turns out to be a figment of Bono's imagination. Or maybe something analogous to the Great Gazoo.

Last edited:
Everything that happened......happened...

latest

Back
Top Bottom