NLOTH is the sound of replanting The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In other words, it sounds like a combo of all the projects that the band has worked on with Lanois and Eno, from the various eras.

Right. That's what I've been telling my buddies. I've basically been saying it's TUF lyrics with AB/Zooropa music.

Well, then you've been wrong.:D

No, but seriously, there's no Zooropa on this at all.

Any thoughts on how I did in my prediction last April?

It is possible, some of the experimental stuff they talk about sounds like it has the power chords of Pop or the thumping sound of Achtung Baby. I would like to see them rock a little more, the ballads and mid tempos have their place, but they need to continue in the direction of rock that HTDAAB started, just make it experimental. HTDAAB had PLENTY of rock, it was not another ATYCLB at all, it was much better: love and peace, COBL, Vertigo, ABOY, Crumbs are all rock. Still, I would like a couple more rockers than that on their next album. It is hard to predict, most albums have been mixes of rockers, ballads, mid tempos, all have some of each on them. The heaviest on rock are War, Boy and AB, but JT has exit, bullet, IGC, Streets, UF wire and Pride, etc, etc. It seems like the next album will be heaviest on elements of UF and AB, so my bet would be it will rock a little harder than Bomb and provide an atmospheric setting for the rock as well as some experimental ballads/mid tempos. That seems to be what I get from listening to the clips/reading Eno and Lanois comments. How about everyone else?

I was not dead on, but I think I did alright. I see elements of everything, but UF and AB stand for me. JT a little with magnificent and white as snow.

I hear so much HTDAAB in Crazy Tonight.

Extraordinary idea this (I haven't heard NLOTH yet), because I always found it difficult to pinpoint a distinct HTDAAB sound, but obviously, the album must not have been as awkward or compilational as it might be remembered
as being, if one can derive a distinct HTDAAB sound from a non-HTDAAB era song.

It's the sound of 6 men remembering the fire.

I gotta go with this, it's like they are remembering their roots, look at Magnificent (it sounds like Big Country), but at the same time they are looking at the contemporary music scene and trying to compete and looking at the future.

This is definitely U2 in 2009. So it might be better to say "planting of a Cedar tree". :applaud:

this was the part of the quote that got me the most excited :yes:

You sir are the master of your domain :D

/seinfeld

:lol: :up: indeedy yes . . . had a minor wobble earlier when I logged into U2.com and they are streaming it . . . ack . . . back on track though :wink:

Well, don't think it's another JT. I don't want you to be disappointed thinking it is. Ultimately, you'll form your own opinion. :applaud:

see first quote . . . :) I'm not looking for another Joshua Tree musically, but if the rumours are right and the passion that they captured on that album is there . . . . phwooooooooaaaaaaaaaar its gonna be a goody :dance:

...if Achtung Baby was the sound of chopping it down!

Dsc00114.jpg

^This is a Joshua Tree seed...

I look at this seed, and in no way am I reminded of NLOTH...

I'll be the first to admit it..... This album had me confused at first. I was on the verge of hating it.

But now, after a handful of listens..... OMFG!!!!!! :hyper::hyper:

It's like AB made sweet love to TUF and their baby grew up and had an orgy with everybody from Led Zepplin to Pink Floyd to REM or the B-52s.

There are just SO many influences here. At first, it seems like Passenger 2. It's U2, but almost NOT U2.

It's easy to say that it owes it's daring, intensity, and spirituality to AB, TUF, and JT, but even that's not a fair comparison.

The way I see it, if I have to use more than 2 different albums to equal one NLOTH then this is something totally new. It owes a debt to a lot of stuff, but it's its own beast.

I can see why Rolling Stone rated it 5-stars. It's rock/pop that's not only new, but relevant. It stays on point with U2's normal politics & religion stuff, but gives it a very un-U2-like spit shine that's not even 2009, but 2010 or 2011.

This album sets a bar that other artists are going to try meet for the a long time to come.

You REALLY have to listen to this album more than once. MANY, MANY times if you're able.

GOYB now has a context and not only does it actually make sense in the context of this album and the "new U2", but it actually sounds good.

NLOTH walks the lines between classic & classy, trashy & triumphant, and utter kick-assery. :heart::heart:

UF sprinkled with Zooropa with small hints of JT, whilst not forgetting the pop sensibilities of the last two albums.

The band have truly come full circle now. We're ready for U2's fourth era.

Back
Top Bottom