Next tour questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
1) Will the next tour start in Europe or U.S.A. ?
2) What percentage of new songs vs back catalogue will they utilize ?
3) What songs would you like to hear more than others?
4) is this tour going to break new ground as far as the technology or will they do a more basic approach like the Elevation tour?

1. Australia
2. 90% will be pre-1987.
3. Womanfish.
4. The stage will be a replica of the Dandelion Market 1979 shows.

1- US
2- 20 percent
3- Stuff from the new album
4- Probably somewhere in between Vertigo and 360

20 percent would mean playing about 2-3 songs from the new album....that number will be substantially higher (assuming by new songs, the OP means the new album).

Let's not act like there wasn't plenty of impressive tech on Elevation, the inverse PIGI projections were pretty badass.

4) is this tour going to break new ground as far as the technology or will they do a more basic approach like the Elevation tour?

I'll preface this by saying that I don't know, and this is what I'm hoping for:

1.) USA
2.) 50%
3.) The songs on the new album
4.) I'm thinking more Elevation, but I would not mind some new technology, as long as they play all the new songs on the album live.

1) Europe.
2) 60-40 new to old and by the end of the tour? 95-5 old to new as per usual.
3) "lots of hits"
4) Hopefully basics = more fluidity, but not like row ZZZZ gets to watch four ants grooving on a matchbox either.

If Bono keeps his promise when he was proposing more intimate arena gigs to crowds near the end of the 360 Tour, then there will be a lot of B-sides and deeper cuts at these arena shows. Honestly, if they play 16 of the same songs every night and just switch out 8 songs every other night, that would require the band to have 32 songs ready to go which isn't that out of the question. It's just that they usually don't get to that point until the end of an arena tour whereas the early dates on Vertigo, for example, were pretty static where maybe two or three songs would change from one night to the next. Given their sizable back catalogue, it really shouldn't be that difficult. There's enough hits that they don't play every night ("With Or Without You"..."Still Haven't Found) along with album tracks ("Bullet"..."Running"..."Bad") that they could literally play in their sleep. So there's honestly no excuse that they can't practice the new songs and start a given tour with about 40 different song possibilities. Do they really forget "Until The End Of The World" when it's not in the setlist every night?

There is no tour. There is no album.

Besides, asking these questions is kinda pointless as there is no answer to the first two and the last. Nobody knows at this point.

I bet the following songs will be on the set:

Elevation
Vertigo
Boots
BD
Invisible
ISHFWILF
Mysterious Ways
Walk On
One
Streets
MOS
Probably In A Little While
4 other new ones

Can't complain though because the last leg of the 360 tour were amazing sets.

1) USA
2) depends on how the new album is received. 6 to 7 new songs. The rest back catalogue .
3) I love hearing the regular classics. I wish everyday they would do "so cruel", but with U2 doing Achtung Baby heavy on the last leg of the 360 tour it looks like that won't happen. I did read that the rehearsed "Drowning Man " during sound checks during the 360 tour. That wild be great to hear.
4) technology will probably be reminiscent of 360 on a smaller scale in arenas.

Walk On is one of my all time favorites, so I'd like to hear it. IALW is good, but I wouldn't miss it. :wink:

I like Walk On a lot too, but it had the life played out of it on 360, maybe an occasional appearance could give it some of the energy it had in 2001.

"Walk On" always gets a strong reaction from people though...so there's that to consider. It's definitely more special when it's a staple on every other tour though. Something they should probably start doing with songs like "Pride" and "One" - easily the most boring moments of every show.

1) USA, always seems to. Sometimes find this annoying as it's not like the US is going anywhere but I always remember how much better Vertigo was by the time it got to Europe so it doesn't really bother me. you guys are welcome to first dibs if it means getting a well rehearsed band with a better show visually. :wink:

2) I'd love it if the new album's [actually any good, firstly, but] great enough for the whole thing to be played. not necessarily in sequence, but i'd definitely prefer to hear a set made up mostly of new songs, and ditch some of the really tired ones. I think it'd say a lot more about U2 if they DIDN'T play One, With Or Without You etc and just went about it as if saying, this new and 'rarer' stuff is great enough live for you not to miss One. As long as they play it well it'd be a great gig anyway.

3) Zooropa. if that song doesn't get played at any european gigs i'll be gutted.

4) I hope it's a more straightforward approach. 360 was amazing but I'd definitely prefer to see them in an arena with a stripped back production. Giant video screens etc are great but anything beyond that doesn't matter to me as long as they're playing well and just feeding off the crowd. would also mean less synching to all these prepared video sequences and more freedom to play whatever setlist they felt like writing up over lunch beforehand. they desperately need to shake things up next tour or it'll be a huge shame.

Well at least we had COBL / Love & Peace as an opener and Bad/40 to close rather than Vertigo opening and closing.

I think that.........
1. Tour will start in USA
2. One third of the setlist will be made up of new songs...at least to begin with.
3. Id like to hear a mix of non hit songs which are overdue an airing.
4. I HOPE that it is a stripped down show. I want it to be all about the songs...and not the stage

1) Europe in summer, stadiums.
2) The usual probably, 7-ish songs
3) Bad and/or UTEOTW.
4) I'm hoping for that 3d sonic technology they were talking about before Vertigo tour started.

For me 4 words.... ASOH, PLEASE! Wait not please the song just please play ASOH, ACTUALLY Please wouldn't be so bad either

The new set list will probably be something like this:

01. New song
02. New song
03. New song
04. Beautiful Day
05. City Of Blinding Lights
06. New Song
07. New Song
08. New Song
09. Vertigo
10. I'll Go Crazy If I don't Go Crazy Tonight
11. New Song