Next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
What would everyone like to see and or hear from U2 on the next tour? Personally I would love to see something similar to 360 with a few changes . As far as songs go, please for all that is holy play Acrobat and or So cruel, more passion in some of the classics . I know they play certain songs every show but its not like they play concerts every year like some acts do. One more suggestion, please come to Cincinnati Ohio. U2 hasn't been to Cincy since the October tour.

All I ask is a smaller scale, more intimate tour (that doesn't just mysteriously morph into stadiums for Australia) with variable setlists.

Excuse me while I keep dreaming.

Retire/rotate the warhorses. They don't need to play One and WOWY every single fucking show. They've made their bazillions now, let's have some deeper cuts. Take some fucking risks with the setlists. Pwetty please.

RickFly;7614645. One more suggestion said:
YES!!! For years, the concert industry avoided Cincy like the plague due to the ban on GA floor seating after "The Who incident". But I think said ban has been lifted. Seems strange that they've NEVER been back. With Cincy, Columbus and Cleveland, I shouldn't have to leave the state to see U2. I mean, at 11.5 million people we are the 7th most populated state, and it's not like we're out of the way either. Rant over.

On the next tour, I'd like to see more deep cuts, less emphasis on "the hits". If you have a 25 song setlist, they could do 5 new songs, 15 greatest hits, and 5 random deep cuts that vary from night to night. There is literally NOTHING wrong about that formula. The casuals can suffer through RHMT and Acrobat while they wait for SBS and Streets.

I agree that they should just go nuts and play some obscure stuff. Make it a tour for the diehards that have been with them all these years.

And I wouldn't mind an arena tour, especially since there's a shiny new one not far from here...

I would ask them to play the whole new album, to have faith in the new material and defend it till the last show.
That's enough for me.

I'd love to hear a bunch of rare deep cuts as well, but the reality is that a lot of our band's material doesn't always lend itself to a two-hour show. In U2 By U2 McGuiness talked about how they didn't have the material on the JT tour for a real stadium show. Clearly they think about their shows -- and evaluate their material in that context -- in a way that we don't. As long-time fans, we would love Drowning Man, but I think we love the idea of it, rather than thinking about how it fits into the arc of a show with a emotional narrative. U2 albums tend to follow an arc and tell a story; they seem to craft their shows the same way. A lot of songs fall away easily -- either because they don't fit into that context, or they're competing for slots with the hits that everyone expects, or they're competing with new songs. It's a battlefield.

I think they'll go back to doing multiple dates in arenas, unless of course the album is massive in which case i can see them doing a few legs indoors and then hitting the stadiums. I also think we'll start seeing longer shows with more days off in between gigs. I saw the Foo Fighters twice last year and both shows were just 5 minutes shy of three hours, it was sprinsteen worthy. I would think 25-26 song setlists could be the norm with 3 or 4 non singles and 5-6 new tracks, keep everybody happy

I would ask them to play the whole new album, to have faith in the new material and defend it till the last show.
That's enough for me.
This. Oh and ditch WOWY. The way it's been played since 1992 is almost insulting.

In U2 By U2 McGuiness talked about how they didn't have the material on the JT tour for a real stadium show.

This is so wrong. What is it with this guy that makes him keep sounding like a total moron in the media? This is just ridiculous.

I see the band touring arenas ala Elevation for the 1st few legs. Then maybe going the stadium route after that. Kind of like ZooTV.

Some of the warhorses need to retire. SBS, WOWY, & One need a break. I think they know this as Bullet & Pride (for the most part) wasn't played on 360 Tour.

Would like to see any Pop and Lemon would be awesome. And yes, U2 could rearrange Lemon for Bono to sing it.

I see the band touring arenas ala Elevation for the 1st few legs. Then maybe going the stadium route after that. Kind of like ZooTV.

Some of the warhorses need to retire. SBS, WOWY, & One need a break. I think they know this as Bullet & Pride (for the most part) wasn't played on 360 Tour.

Would like to see any Pop and Lemon would be awesome. And yes, U2 could rearrange Lemon for Bono to sing it.

That would suck though. Bono sould just learn to sing it again.

This is so wrong. What is it with this guy that makes him keep sounding like a total moron in the media? This is just ridiculous.

Call me crazy, but U2 had a lot less material 25 years ago, so it doesn't really seem so far fetched. Some songs don't have the same impact in an arena show as a opposed to a stadium show. I'd prefer they go back to arena shows, but that would require them to perform more shows. 4 shows at MSG equals about 1 show at MetLife stadium.

They had 5 albums at that point. With the possible exception of October, every one of those albums had at least two or three songs that are being considered today as the epitome of stadium hits by the band and were played either regularly, semi-regularly or at least occasionally (with success) on stadium tours after the JT one. That's already half a set minimum. There are examples of stadium bands having huge shows after only two records and with an arguably smaller total amount of "big hits" than what U2 had on those 5 albums (Guns n' Roses, Oasis, Pearl Jam).

This is the typical condescending approach McGuinness has that every single song that could work in a stadium has to be a huge hit being played 10,000 times on the radio. One had songs like Electric Co. that even worked on the Vertigo tour, where I'm pretty sure a lot less people were acquainted with that song than in 1987. Not the only Boy song that could make a great atmosphere in a stadium IMO, and I'm not thinking of I Will Follow or Out of Control. Of course they had 20 songs on 5 albums that worked - the European leg of the JT tour and the selected NA shows were a huge success. In fact, they didn't play songs on that tour at all that I feel could have worked and it would improve on the set.

So I guess they didn't have enough material for a Springsteen-like 4-hour marathon show, but to think that U2 didn't have the sufficient amount of songs from Boy to the bloody Joshua Tree for a successful 100-minute stadium set is just ludicrous.

Take some fucking risks with the setlists. Pwetty please.

2009: The vast majority of the shows start off with 4 new songs. Crazy Tonight is played in a remixed form. They play Your Blue Room in stadiums.
2010. U2 play 6 new, unreleased songs, sometimes 3 in one show. They begin their shows with an unreleased song/track.

These are huge risks considering the average audience member of the tour. Also, lest we forget:

2011. U2 play Zooropa live in full time for the first time basically ever.

What more do you people want?

Considering it's a stadium tour, I don't think U2 could have gotten more risky than last time around.

Call me crazy, but U2 had a lot less material 25 years ago, so it doesn't really seem so far fetched. Some songs don't have the same impact in an arena show as a opposed to a stadium show. I'd prefer they go back to arena shows, but that would require them to perform more shows. 4 shows at MSG equals about 1 show at MetLife stadium.

yeah, but 4 shows at MSG kills Bono's voice compared to 1 show at MetLife.

Mostly they had zero experience with stadium shows when JT tour began. Also, the stage design/visuals weren't yet the powerful tools they became in the 90's.

Mostly they had zero experience with stadium shows when JT tour began. Also, the stage design/visuals weren't yet the powerful tools they became in the 90's.

Exactly, I think U2 and Paul M$ making those comments are more about U2 doing their 1st Stadium tour w/ the same material they were using for arenas. I'm sure they felt a little insecure.

Maybe U2 would do like the Stones did for the Forty Licks tour. Clubs, Arenas, and Stadiums. Hearing Bono talk about playing lesser known songs to the fans is something I'm sure they've discussed. Why would he say that?

Arena show: Rare U2 w/ very few hits
Stadium show: U2 Warhorse show

Back
Top Bottom