NEW STUDIO MIX of Even Better than the Real Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll just copy myself ... :wink:

Huh. Sounds like a remix based on the new live version. Interesting.

I don't really care the dual-layered vocals, though, with Bono's voice mirrored in octaves.

but it's like that on the album too, isn't it? Maybe I just hear it more clearly in this mix.

While I like this version live quite a bit, I think I prefer the original album version to this version as a non-live track.

Overall I like it, was hoping they'd do a studio take of the new live version. Not sure I like how the drums go with the intro slide guitar solo though.

Overall I like it, was hoping they'd do a studio take of the new live version. Not sure I like how the drums go with the intro slide guitar solo though.

Yeah, it's very good but seems a little rough - the drums and bass sound perfect, but the guitar is too low in the mix and the slide solo just seems to not be recorded properly - is it out of time? It makes me think this can't be the final product. Hopefully it's a 'first draft'.

First impression: wayyy too close to remix territory. After the second listen (chance :wink:), I think I really dig it. It's industrialized / modernized, and Edge has clearly been listening to Kings of Leon, judging by his playing around the three-minute mark (a great thing).

We'll always have the original, but this is a great new take... The other sense I have after watching: this band isn't anywhere near retirement.

I like it. I'd love it if the super deluxe edition was a 3 disc thing with the original album remixed on one, b-sides on the second, and a new mix of the album on disc three (like what Pearl Jam did with Ten). Just give the master tapes to Danger Mouse and see what happens.

I actually quite like this, though I miss some of the backing track elements they used on the live version.

Really, really glad this exists. I've been wanting to hear a studio version of this mix for months.

It's not great, feels a bit sparse and the new arrangement results in some sections that feel moved around just for the sake of it. The ending is also kind of a dud. But I love the slide solo as an intro, I love the beat, and I love that the pre-choruses have greater weight to them because the verses are a little quieter. The song in general feels really nicely paced.

They should just play it exactly like the live version. Louder guitar, more natural sounding drums, and just one vocal track.

Thanks for the link, Danny Boy.

The part I liked best when they played it live was the way the band kinda kicked it into gear right before "My heart is where it's always been"

Hate the ABOY-esque double vocal, but love the rest of it. Great to have this. I don't think this version gets anywhere near competing with the original, but it's still fantastic. Ending is a bit weird.

And getting a proper look at the Hirst visuals is cool too - loved them on the night, on the huge screen they made for a fantastic backdrop. Although, would've been cool if that video ended with the 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'.

I don't really care the dual-layered vocals, though, with Bono's voice mirrored in octaves.

but it's like that on the album too, isn't it? Maybe I just hear it more clearly in this mix.

It's like that in the original version as well, but much higher in the mix on this one.

Some fun facts, the first "take me higher" vocal at the end of the intro is actually not from the original album-version but rather from the first La Plata-show where this version was played for the first time. :nerd:

‪U2 La Plata 2011-03-30 Intro / Even Better Than The Real Thing - U2gigs.com‬‏ - YouTube
(from 3:05-3:09)

Double-tracked vocals always sound like crap. Crumbs, Discotheque, All Because of You...

Never noticed it being especially bad on EBTTRT though.

it sounds like they've taken a messy live version and cleaned it up a bit.

Yeah, I'm nearly certain that this is just the Glastonbury live version (where the intro was messed up, just like this) combined with a bit of the AB version.

Sounds cool.

Love the live remix, brings back memories of the 360 shows in Anaheim :)

I'm thinking U2 releases this as the single for the AB/Zooropa remasters?

Yeah, I'm nearly certain that this is just the Glastonbury live version (where the intro was messed up, just like this) combined with a bit of the AB version.

def. not the glastonbury version, the lyric delivery is very different, especially on the 'you take me higher' bits, considering at glastonbury and all other live shows bono's been yelling 'you take us higher'

Wow, I think we're counting off to the remaster. This mix is one of their best mixes to date and it should be on the remaster along with the Hirst-vid!!!!!:applaud::applaud::applaud:
Is there a download link for the video as well? I would like a HD version of the video on my mediaplayer!!!!

Back
Top Bottom