New Paul McGuiness Interview for AUS TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
Australian TV show Studio 10 had an interview with Paul McGuiness where he also discussed U2's Apple deal for the new album. He basically said
1. that certain mistakes could have been avoided by not forcing it into people's libraries
2. that the story of Apple paying U2 100 Million bucks developed a life of its own, but it's untrue, Apple doesn't dish out such sums. They payed Universal a fee for the release. The 100 Million dollars may have been the sum spent overall on the marketing campaign
3. It's almost impossible to overload an IPod since it can be loaded with up to 40.000 songs

Apart from that, nothing really new, but Paul's also talking about the band's early days and what he thought made them different from other bands back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQe3pzDG-8Q

I miss McGuinness...wish he would have stuck around

Absolutely. Sure he was McGuinne$$, but this guy also gave a shit. He would've handled this situation better. He wouldn't have let it get so out of control in the first place, but he also would've been on the front lines doing damage control. The fact that we've still heard more from him than Oseary says it all to me.

I understand a man in his mid 60s wanting to take a step back. I hope when I'm that age I don't have to work as hard/much as I do now. But there was something so endearing about a band and manager coming up together from nothing and making it big time, and doing it together. All 5 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Paul may be a bit old fashioned when it comes to the modern day music industry, but I still think he personally cared a lot about U2 and that's worth a lot.

I was laughed at a couple of days ago in another thread because I commented on how Paul was on Bono's side after his back injury four years ago and that I miss him in a situation like this (though we don't know if he isn't with Bono right now). It's just that kind of personal relationship that I miss. Professionally, I'm sure Oseary is doing a good job, he's been around managing Madonna for all this time, he's a tough guy. I don't think anything got "out of hand" with Apple, they just didn't expect that kind of backlash from the public, or, to be fair, the media mostly. Oseary surely had his hand in securing that Apple deal, but from all the interviews I've read in the last week it's clear that the band was also very keen on doing this thing from the very beginning. I don't think a manager can make any decision that the band would not appreciate, they're very much in control.

McGuinness might have been in it for the $$ and all, which is fine, it is a business afterall. But in the end i do agree he was very protective of "his boys" and he watched them come from basically nothing to what they are today.

I met him once, during the encore at an Elevation show in Atlanta. I only spoke with him briefly but he seemed kind of intense. I asked him what he was doing and he told me "just watching my boys". It always struck me as though he said that like a proud papa on the sidelines coaching his kids playing ball.

Paul still thinking people use iPods pretty much shows that it was time for the band to move on, despite their close relationship.

And I'm sure Guy was in town for the week on Fallon, so I'm fairly certain he stopped by the hospital and gave Bono a Vermont Teddy Bear to make him feel better.

For fucks sake.

Paul still thinking people use iPods pretty much shows that it was time for the band to move on, despite their close relationship.

And I'm sure Guy was in town for the week on Fallon, so I'm fairly certain he stopped by the hospital and gave Bono a Vermont Teddy Bear to make him feel better.

For fucks sake.

:applaud: This. Spot on.

I like Oseary as a manager. McG may have been a good manager once upon a time but he tended to be stuck in dinosaur land in terms of moving with the technology and the changes in how people listen to music these days. That iPod comment was quaint. And so very much McG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Im really not even a u2 fan anymore, could care less for anything they have done since PoP. The only reason ive followed them around for so long, gone to so many shows, spent so much $$$ is because of my fascination & admiration of Paul McGuinne$$. He's the real deal.

Im really not even a u2 fan anymore, could care less for anything they have done since PoP. The only reason ive followed them around for so long, gone to so many shows, spent so much $$$ is because of my fascination & admiration of Paul McGuinne$$. He's the real deal.

???

BTW. What was so good about Pop, except from being unfinished, lost without direction, short of ideas?

BTW. What was so good about Pop, except from being unfinished, lost without direction, short of ideas?

I love it when people express their dislike about this album from things they've read in the press.

To answer your question - it's sonically adventerous while being heavy and direct at the same time, it's overblown but intimate (maybe the most intimate and certainly the darkest they've been), it's perfect due to its many imperfections, it's stunningly consistent without having that one big song their albums usually have. Outside of their two big ones, it's my favorite album they did.

I love it when people express their dislike about this album from things they've read in the press.

To answer your question - it's sonically adventerous while being heavy and direct at the same time, it's overblown but intimate (maybe the most intimate and certainly the darkest they've been), it's perfect due to its many imperfections, it's stunningly consistent without having that one big song their albums usually have. Outside of their two big ones, it's my favorite album they did.

I swear I haven´t read any review about Pop, except one back in 1997 in PC gaming magazine, which was utterly positive :)

It still amazes me how many people adore this album. I wonder if it is because people have natural tndency to defend anything that is criticised or if it is true belief that the album is great.

For me it is hard to believe the latter is valid in this case. After many years of its release it is even more obvious, that the album lacks a lot of crucial things. It has hardly any direction thematically or musically, it seems U2 got lost in the process of recording it, they simply didn´t know what result they want. It seems during Pop sessions they wanted to incorporate dance influences into their music, but they didn´t find the way to make it work. They also tried to save it by being smart, cool, but they didn´t suceed like on Achtung Baby. This time it sounded rather bored and calculated. While October album is another example of an unfinished record, in comparison to Pop, it has its unique vibe and originality of imperfection.

Of course there are songs, moments, ideas that stood the test of time and that I love, but overally I cannot think of the album other than as a fail. Nevertheless, I admire Pop for being ambitious and sincere record in U2 catalogue. Unlike its follow-up commercial sellout ATYCLB.

It still amazes me how many people adore this album. I wonder if it is because people have natural tndency to defend anything that is criticised or if it is true belief that the album is great.

For me it is hard to believe the latter is valid in this case.

Everything is a conspiracy when people like things you don't. :lol:

I love this place.

???

It has its moments and the general audience tends to overbash it, but it's not better than average among U2 albums.

it's overblown but intimate (maybe the most intimate and certainly the darkest they've been), it's perfect due to its many imperfections, it's stunningly consistent without having that one big song their albums usually have. Outside of their two big ones, it's my favorite album they did.

I find your take interesting because one of the reasons Pop isn't my third favorite is because it's inconsistent and lacks intimacy at times... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom