new mixes on Best of 90's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except Gone, no other improvement. And IMO, Gone( album version ) is also
very good in its own right.

A lot of the new vocals are from different vocal takes. "Gone", in particular, sounds like it was hobbled together from various live performances, probably to accommodate the "live" arrangement.

I, too, dislike the new "Gone". They took all the "otherness" out of it, making it just a straight rock song. But the worst part was the chorus. The chorus on Pop, with the piano, the heavily reverbed "Goodbye", and most importantly, the screaming siren guitar during the "I'm not coming down" are what give the song its lift. The Best Of remix robs it of all that, making what's a strong, emotional song on Pop into a standard midtempo rock song.

Edited to add: The one redeeming quality that the remix has is that it adds Edge's "down" part during the chorus, which I like. Though it's too low in the mix.

:up::up::up:

How are people not loving new gone? Pop version sounds like a demo. There is no texture in the verses, and it sounds generally flat. The best of version is way more dynamic, and has more keys (especially in the breakdown).

Love that Edge actually plays the chords in the verse too, rather than leaving our brains to fill in the gap they left out.

Because it doesn’t feel the same. I’m sure if the original didn’t exist, and that new version was one of the ‘new’ Best Of tracks, I’d love it, but I think they just totally washed out the angsty feel and soul of the original. I really don't like that they did that.

I, too, dislike the new "Gone". They took all the "otherness" out of it, making it just a straight rock song. But the worst part was the chorus. The chorus on Pop, with the piano, the heavily reverbed "Goodbye", and most importantly, the screaming siren guitar during the "I'm not coming down" are what give the song its lift. The Best Of remix robs it of all that, making what's a strong, emotional song on Pop into a standard midtempo rock song.

This. And I don't understand why so many people are blind to it.

Also, Bono is quoted as saying that when he recorded the original vocal, he felt that someone was walking over his grave. You don't re-record something like that.

All of the "new mixes" on the Best Of take songs that are were originally very electronic and synthy and try to make them sound like they were recorded for ATYCLB. If they ever go back and re-record Pop (they won't), I would hope they'd come up with a better approach than just trying to make it sound like 2000s-era U2.

QFT!

This is why I think the "new mixes" are all pretty much shit! Pop had it's own sound, place and time just like ATYCLB did too. Don't make one sound like the other! :down:

Well, they don't sound like ATYCLB exactly but when a song like Gone is stripped of it's otherworldly siren-sounding guitar and atmosphere and made into a straightforward pop/rock song with loud Edge backing vocals and lots of piano, it only reminds me of the type of pop-rock on ATYCLB. I guess this point really applies most to Gone.

I agree. They're not produced to sound like ATYCLB (they obviously 'sound' nothing like ATYCLB in one sense) but they've been put through the same bold machine.

e.g. Discotheque - while it's not considered such a crime because it was always intended to be a big pop-rock single - it's kind of like the original, dirtier Discotheque liquored up Elevation and then 9 months later... Squeeky Clean Best Of Discotheque is born.

Back
Top Bottom