New INXS Demo...Featuring Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono and Michael Hutchence were very close. Stuck in a Moment was ABOUT him.

Yeah, of course I'm well aware of that, but INXS have behaved like complete ass clowns since then and there is/was some story out there that suggested Bono shared a similar view, and there was a bit of bad blood over it, but I can't remember the specifics. I think it was actually specifically something like this, they tried to wing him in for whatever their latest blatent cash grab was, and he was having none of it, and they got pissy about it. Something like that. Or did he just take a none too veiled shot at them? Can't remember. Anyway, it doesn't matter because this is clearly not Bono on this song.

Yeah, of course I'm well aware of that, but INXS have behaved like complete ass clowns since then and there is/was some story out there that suggested Bono shared a similar view, and there was a bit of bad blood over it, but I can't remember the specifics. I think it was actually specifically something like this, they tried to wing him in for whatever their latest blatent cash grab was, and he was having none of it, and they got pissy about it. Something like that. Or did he just take a none too veiled shot at them? Can't remember. Anyway, it doesn't matter because this is clearly not Bono on this song.

I don't think the band were too impressed with Stuck in a moment. Probably fair enough though, Michael was worthy of a much better song than that.

The beginning...possible. Towards the end there was one part that really reminded me of him. If it's not him it's a very good soundalike. If it is him it's heavily enhanced, he stepped into a time machine, or it's Bono's son with a very mature voice.

I don't get why this has to be such a contentious issue. Either you think it is or you think it isn't, either one is valid :shrug: . I guess that's one reason I stay out of here..

I don't get why this has to be such a contentious issue. Either you think it is or you think it isn't, either one is valid :shrug: . I guess that's one reason I stay out of here..

Yeah. There's a tendency on here for the mob to descend on minority opinions. It really is possible to disagree about U2 without vitriol and name calling. At least, you'd think it would be. :)

Yeah. There's a tendency on here for the mob to descend on minority opinions. It really is possible to disagree about U2 without vitriol and name calling. At least, you'd think it would be. :)

There's a tendency that I go after people trying to pass off their opinion as a fact. Because I can't stand it.

I'm perfectly fine that Val THINKS it's Bono. But the fact where they state that because THEY think it is, it MUST BE, is plain wrong. And that is what bothers me. Not the fact that she thinks it is.

No issue here, and thanks Galeon Girl for letting me think it's Bono! Whatever anyone else thinks is fine with me.

I love the song. I can say that, right?

There's a tendency that I go after people trying to pass off their opinion as a fact. Because I can't stand it.

I'm perfectly fine that Val THINKS it's Bono. But the fact where they state that because THEY think it is, it MUST BE, is plain wrong. And that is what bothers me. Not the fact that she thinks it is.

No worries GG. That wasn't directed at you, as far as I know you've never engaged in a personal attack against me or anyone else. We've disagreed, but it's been civil. :)

On the other hand, I don't think everything needs to be predicated with "In my opinion". For example, if I say "The Unforgettable Fire is U2's best album", I shouldn't have to preface that with "In my opinion..." That should go without saying, obviously it's an opinion. Most everything on here is opinion. Obviously it's Val's opinion that it's Bono in the track b/c no one knows for sure just now. And of course, the more facts someone has to support that opinion, the more valid that opinion is.

I agree with you Nick, but I do think there's a difference between saying stuff like that, and in this case saying It's Bono. Because it's not sure right now, we don't know who the singer is, but there's plenty of evidence suggesting it might not be. So to blatantly state that it must be Bono seems weird to me. Sure, people can believe it is, but just wording it a little differently seems much nicer.

I don't think it sounds anything like Bono. And if there had never been a seed planted in peoples minds that it was bono (from places such as @u2) then i don't think anyone else would think it sounded much like bono. and throw in the fact that many sites (including @u2) are now updating their stories to say it's most likely rea garvey and, well, there you go...

So that is discrediting those who are of the opinion that it does sound like Bono?

I guess it's not Bono.
If it hadn't been for rumours, I wouldn't have even thought it may be him.

So that is discrediting those who are of the opinion that it does sound like Bono?
It's not discrediting anyone. It's simply saying that it was largely "the seed" that was planted by various U2 websites - before anyone had heard the song - that made people think it was him. When in reality, independent of those seeds, if you just randomly heard this song you would almost certainly not think to yourself, "this sounds just like bono!!!" because in a vacuum, it sounds nothing like bono.

I've played it for more than one person without saying anything, and they asked if it was Bono. So obviously, it isn't that far fetched.

Well, I imagine they've all known each other a long time. Fights come and go. But, agreed, it's not him.

I've played it for more than one person without saying anything, and they asked if it was Bono. So obviously, it isn't that far fetched.
you really think that your friend, who knows you're a big u2 fan, wouldn't ask if they didn't think that there was some u2 association with it and that that was the whole reason you were playing it for them in the first place?

i've had many experiences over the last 20 years where i've played a song for someone under the guise of, "hey, tell me what you think of this?" only to have them respond with, "is this u2?" 20 seconds into it - because they know i'm always going on about something u2 related...

I would suggest that it doesn't sound anything like Bono. Definitely not Bono now, and not really like Bono ever.

yep. there's like, one, maybe two words in the song that actually sound like him singing. and that's it. the rest doesn't sound a thing like Bono to me.

I told them it was INXS, and they said it sounded like Bono. I'm all for debate, and respect everyones opinions, and I can see both sides of the arguement. I'm not one to totally dismiss someone's opinion just because it is not the same as mine. It sounds like him at the beginning, and as it goes on, it changes. IMO.

This is the reason I don't venture over this way much....

I told them it was INXS, and they said it sounded like Bono. I'm all for debate, and respect everyones opinions, and I can see both sides of the arguement. I'm not one to totally dismiss someone's opinion just because it is not the same as mine. It sounds like him at the beginning, and as it goes on, it changes. IMO.

This is the reason I don't venture over this way much....
but this is the thing, it's not about dismissing an opinion. this isn't an opinion. it's been all but confirmed that it's not bono. saying you like the song/don't like the song is an opinion. saying that thomas jefferson was the 10th president of the US is not an opinion - it's a misstatement of fact. just like saying this is bono singing is not an opinion. it's a fact that it isn't him. two days ago it was an opinion. today, it's a fact.

i wouldn't have even commented on this if the thread wasn't filled with people saying, "LOL. i love u2, and i know bono when i hear him, and this is definitely bono." clearly...

I never said this. They have confirmed it isn't him? They made that statement knowing darn well that everyone would assume it was Bono. They are not denying it either because it is getting them a lot of press.

Uhm James, where is it confirmed that it's not him? I've not seen any evidence supporting that yet... only fan speculation...

Nice edit bro.

Uhm James, where is it confirmed that it's not him? I've not seen any evidence supporting that yet... only fan speculation...

Nice edit bro.
it's not confirmed confirmed (i.e., u2.com hasn't said "it's not bono") but when you take all the information into consideration, especially the update on @u2, it's pretty clear that it's not bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom