New Arcade Fire Video- ZOO TV Influence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete12U2

The Fly
I just watched the video for the new Arcade Fire single "Reflektor," and I couldn't help but notice the Zoo TV visual influence. I immediately thought of U2's use of the Giant Heads and the Mirrorball Man.

I know Anton Corbijn directed the video which makes the connection even stronger to me. Just curious if anyone else agrees or if I am just that bored waiting for this new album to come out!

Heres the video:
Reflektor - Arcade Fire

I just watched the video for the new Arcade Fire single "Reflektor," and I couldn't help but notice the Zoo TV visual influence. I immediately thought of U2's use of the Giant Heads and the Mirrorball Man.

I know Anton Corbijn directed the video which makes the connection even stronger to me. Just curious if anyone else agrees or if I am just that bored waiting for this new album to come out!

Heres the video:
Reflektor - Arcade Fire

Thanks for posting the link Pete. :up: Just watched/ listened to it for the first time and really like where Arcade Fire is going. I see the similarities you point out but I don't see any blatant 'rip offs'. Very creative and awkwardly interesting is how I'd describe the Reflektor video.

Honestly, similarities like big heads and mirrorball men only occurred to me after you pointed them out. While watching this video for the first time yesterday never did I once think that oh no! they are rippin U2 off! That said, it is very much possible that they were inspired by arguably U2's greatest live tour. Anyway, interesting video and song, that.

Just to be clear, I am not accusing them of ripping U2 off. I was looking at it as more of an influence, which all artists use and I appreciate.

I just thought it was a cool connection and use of an influence, if there was an influence at all.

Maybe because of the hat the mirror guy was wearing, but he did remind me of late 80s bono... Covered in mirrors.

The big head thing was created a long time ago by a dance troupe in the UK I believe.

Come to think of it, that mirrored guy in the video... his side profile looks a lot like that famous silhouette of Bono wearing a hat during the Joshua Tree tours. :wink:

Come to think of it, that mirrored guy in the video... his side profile looks a lot like that famous silhouette of Bono wearing a hat during the Joshua Tree tours. :wink:
:up:Yeah, kinda like Mirrorball man meets JT Bono.

What is the story line to that video? I've watched it a few times and I'm trying to piece it all together.

Also, sounds like Bowie singing in the background towards the end. (MirrorMan is holding up a wooden thing to the sky when a Bowie-esque voice comes in).

Just to be clear, I am not accusing them of ripping U2 off. I was looking at it as more of an influence, which all artists use and I appreciate.

I just thought it was a cool connection and use of an influence, if there was an influence at all.

Reminds me more of a good mix of everything that Anton has probably seen in his life. :lol:

Depeche Mode's video for Suffer Well (also directed by Corbijn), especially with the mirror ball part. Exactly the same. He places objects, preferably lights in the middle of the frame all the time.
The whole , I'm in a car driving theme has been done before too, (Depeche Mode - Behind the Wheel/ and Question of time.
Paper heads, mirrorball man, might be a U2/Zootv refference and so on.

I guess that's what happens when you do to much directing in a short period of time.

I DO like the video. :up::rimshot: Ripoff or not.

Back
Top Bottom