Name Something You Like About Your Least Favourite Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I think HTDAAB is my least favourite album, for a variety of reasons, but there are a few things I like about it.

For me, despite its unpopularity on Interference, 'Sometimes You Can't Make It' is the albums one enduring triumph, more so than COBL. Lyrically I think its probably Bono at his most direct and he actually sounds as if he really cares about what he's singing, he's totally in the moment and not spinning metaphors, something which I felt he tended to do on some of the other big-hitters on the album. I like the falsetto lines too, I think they give the song an eerie character all of its own.

I'm also grateful to the album as it led to the Vertigo tour, which was perhaps the bands strongest and most consistent tour since ZOO TV.

Anything you like about your least favourite album.

Bomb.

I guess it had lots of potential. :shrug:

wow... that's all you can come up with? Really? Potential? Does that even really apply? Everything has potential...

Not one single redeeming thing for that entire album?

My least favourtie Album is probably October... That being said, the reissue has really opened my eyes, songs like With A Shout have gone from songs I wouldn't bother with to songs I really enjoy now...

October. Gloria is great and so are Rejoice and October. Tomorrow is allright. The rest of the album doesn't work for me.

Well, I'll name two...because they rank about the same for me:

ATYCLB - New York gave me hope that U2 could still write a rock song and Bono's rough around the edges vocals throughout the album almost give it a more personal feel. All the songs on this album are unique, I just think it was a poor choice in direction after all the really great stuff of the 90's. Oh, and Kite is a beautiful song.

The Unforgettable Fire - There are some really great atmospheric moments on here. A Sort of Homecoming is the highlight with an addictive bass groove and some great vocals and lyrics. I like how it was the first big step in a new direction for U2, yet the album as a whole just doesn't seem up to par for the band. Maybe it's my growing dislike of Pride. Not because the message of it, just because I'm sick of it and it never goes away. Sorry, I'm getting more into negative now, so I'll quit.

There are no U2 albums that I actually think are bad or are completely unnecessary. So, I guess that's a positive in itself. Interesting topic though.

the best thing about October is

It's falling, it's falling
And outside the buildings
Are tumbling down
And inside a child on the ground
Says he'll do it again

also, Edge's guitar riff in that song, and all of Gloria.

ATYCLB: TGBHF is a great track if your edition is lucky enough to have it, and WILATW has Bono's best lyrics of the current decade.

Least fav: Either ATYCLB or HTDAAB, not sure.

Something I like about ATYCLB: Beautiful Day. Epic!

Something I like about HTDAAB: Crumbs.

My least favorite album is All That You Can't Leave Behind. But I think Kite, Peace On Earth and Beautiful Day are great songs! I don't fancy the rest of the album that much. Oh and maybe also New York, but otherwise just that.

Hmm... here are the albums that are lower-ranked for me... not bad albums, per se, but lower ranked than the masterpieces.

Hutdab: It produced COBL, SYCMIOYO (yes, I love that song, despite its simplicity) some other nice tidbits (Yahweh, OOTS, OSC)... and... ah, screw it. I like Vertigo, too. A lot. :rockon: Also, it produced my second favorite tour, after Zoo TV, and began the upward trend in Bono's voice.

Attyclub: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Stuck in a Moment, Kite, and The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and some other nice tidbits, like Bomb (When I Look At The World, Peace One Earth, etc. aren't half bad). I'm not a big fan of the Elevation Tour, though.

October: Gloria, Tomorrow, October, I Fall Down, Fire, and all of the raw energy that the band had in the early 80s can't have too terrible of results.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and Drowning Man are still great songs, plus a few others are also good.

Back
Top Bottom