My U2 library is trapped in DRM iTunes audio files... any way around this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoKKeR

Refugee
Hey all. Recently switched to Android and have come to the realization that my entire non-LP/streamable U2 library is locked behind the DRM iTunes used prior to 2009. I purchased the Complete U2 back in 2004, but there is seemingly no way to convert these files (which are in .m4p format) to any sort of DRM-free files.

Normal albums/songs purchased on iTunes prior to 2009 can be converted to DRM-free formats via iTunes Match, but this only works for songs/albums that are still on the iTunes store, which is not the case for the Complete U2.

I am leaving the country in a few days and am becoming increasingly frustrated at my inability to get my U2 off of my computer and onto my phone. I can't be the only person to have run into this problem... any advice for me?

You can use iTunes itself to convert the itunes format (should be m4a, not m4p as far as I know) to mp3, and those mp3s you can easily copy paste from the iTunes music folder to your new device.

Upload them to Google Music.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is further than I've been able to get before! Some files are working in this way... through a playlist of 350 songs from the Complete U2 it grabbed about 30, the rest failed. Weird thing is that of those 30 songs they were all m4p/DRM protected but were still uploaded, while the others failed because it detected DRM.

Will keep playing, any suggestions in the meantime? Had no idea about this tool.

This is further than I've been able to get before! Some files are working in this way... through a playlist of 350 songs from the Complete U2 it grabbed about 30, the rest failed. Weird thing is that of those 30 songs they were all m4p/DRM protected but were still uploaded, while the others failed because it detected DRM.

Will keep playing, any suggestions in the meantime? Had no idea about this tool.
Yeah I'm not sure why it won't upload every file though. When I uploaded mine that's what I did. Just chose the iTunes folder and it uploaded every song!

PS. What Android device are you getting?

Have you tried redownloading everything from iTunes? It shouldn't have DRM anymore.

I actually paid to upgrade The Complete U2 in 2009 or so, but I think now you can just go under purchased music and redownload the files.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it's kinda unrelated but as I made Spotify account in the US, i can't use it Japan freely (only 10 days, I can actually use the account without being Premium). this copyright thing is annoying.

Google Music is the way to go. So much better than Spotify.

Yeah I'm not sure why it won't upload every file though. When I uploaded mine that's what I did. Just chose the iTunes folder and it uploaded every song!

PS. What Android device are you getting?

Yeah, I've tried it a few more times and every now and then a few files (m4p DRM protected) sneak by, but for the most part it fails on everything. Just strange that it works for some and not most.

Went to the S7 Edge a week ago... loving it! And returning to the entire Google ecosystem has been really nice... I'm thinking about ditching my family's Apple Music plan and forking out the monthly fee for Google Play Music, the web client/mobile app/organization/customization is just leagues ahead of Apple Music. If I can get my U2 library moved over somehow I'm definitely jumping ship.

Have you tried redownloading everything from iTunes? It shouldn't have DRM anymore.

I actually paid to upgrade The Complete U2 in 2009 or so, but I think now you can just go under purchased music and redownload the files.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I did try this, I was able to go to my Purchase History and redownload the entire Complete U2 to my computer, but they came in as M4P/DRM-protected files. I would be willing to pay to upgrade them to DRM-free, but I'm pretty sure that iTunes Match only works with songs/albums that are currently on the iTunes store, which is not the case for many of the singles/b-sides/unreleased albums that came with the complete U2.

Just convert them to MP3 with itunes itself, that should lift the DRM restriction and get you compatible files easily... I'm really not sure why my first post is completely ignored when it's the easiest solution to your problem. I have the Complete U2 and mine is completely DRM free in MP3 now.

I don't know that his helps him though. I bought my Complete U2 with an iTunes account that was essentially a login through AOL Instant Messenger. I can't seem to log into that account anymore (because it's no longer supported?) and thus, I can't activate the those purchased DRM files on the computer I currently use.

It's bullshit. I'll be looking to torrent the songs I can no longer play for this.

Yeah, I've tried it a few more times and every now and then a few files (m4p DRM protected) sneak by, but for the most part it fails on everything. Just strange that it works for some and not most.

Went to the S7 Edge a week ago... loving it! And returning to the entire Google ecosystem has been really nice... I'm thinking about ditching my family's Apple Music plan and forking out the monthly fee for Google Play Music, the web client/mobile app/organization/customization is just leagues ahead of Apple Music. If I can get my U2 library moved over somehow I'm definitely jumping ship.

I did try this, I was able to go to my Purchase History and redownload the entire Complete U2 to my computer, but they came in as M4P/DRM-protected files. I would be willing to pay to upgrade them to DRM-free, but I'm pretty sure that iTunes Match only works with songs/albums that are currently on the iTunes store, which is not the case for many of the singles/b-sides/unreleased albums that came with the complete U2.
Nice! I just got that phone as well. Amazing device!

I don't know that his helps him though. I bought my Complete U2 with an iTunes account that was essentially a login through AOL Instant Messenger. I can't seem to log into that account anymore (because it's no longer supported?) and thus, I can't activate the those purchased DRM files on the computer I currently use.

It's bullshit. I'll be looking to torrent the songs I can no longer play for this.

Hm, wasn't aware that there were issues like that. I got The Complete U2 through purchase of my U2 iPod, so I had no login account or anything, just a code to redeem and then it was all in my library. So I just converted them from there and snatched the mp3s from where apple dumped them on my pc.

Just convert them to MP3 with itunes itself, that should lift the DRM restriction and get you compatible files easily... I'm really not sure why my first post is completely ignored when it's the easiest solution to your problem. I have the Complete U2 and mine is completely DRM free in MP3 now.

As much as I wish this was the case, I get the error "protected files cannot be converted to other formats." Frustrating. :/

What's worse, is that since activating Apple Music with my existing library, songs with multiple versions and same/similar names have been completely screwed up. Example, I throw open the Live from Boston DVD audio, and start playing the first track entitled "Elevation (Live)." What does it start playing? "Elevation (Live)" from Vertigo 2005 DVD. This is true across the board, within various albums/live albums/alternate versions.... it's a total nightmare and I am so done with it.

I'm at the point where I don't know... maybe I will rebuild the whole thing from YouTube mp3 rips (shitty quality, huge waste of time) or torrents (which I don't know how to do at all + I have a Mac) or maybe getting audio from a friend? No idea but it's just really damn annoying and I don't know how to fix it. /rant

Hm, wasn't aware that there were issues like that. I got The Complete U2 through purchase of my U2 iPod, so I had no login account or anything, just a code to redeem and then it was all in my library. So I just converted them from there and snatched the mp3s from where apple dumped them on my pc.

Really??? When I bought the iPod, I got a $50 coupon that was good towards the purchase of the Complete U2.

Yea I just got a coupon as well.

Regardless... It's fairly silly to have to go into one program, download hundreds of files in a different format just so that you can upload them in a different format, but unfortunately that's the only way around old school iTunes purchases that included DRM.

They should make a software tool that automatically removes DRM from files that were purchased prior to their removal. Ya know, like the software they made to remove Songs of Innocence from people's libraries, only useful.

As much as I wish this was the case, I get the error "protected files cannot be converted to other formats." Frustrating. :/

What's worse, is that since activating Apple Music with my existing library, songs with multiple versions and same/similar names have been completely screwed up. Example, I throw open the Live from Boston DVD audio, and start playing the first track entitled "Elevation (Live)." What does it start playing? "Elevation (Live)" from Vertigo 2005 DVD. This is true across the board, within various albums/live albums/alternate versions.... it's a total nightmare and I am so done with it.

I'm at the point where I don't know... maybe I will rebuild the whole thing from YouTube mp3 rips (shitty quality, huge waste of time) or torrents (which I don't know how to do at all + I have a Mac) or maybe getting audio from a friend? No idea but it's just really damn annoying and I don't know how to fix it. /rant

In that case, don't bother ripping from youtube in shitty quality. There have to be torrents out there with the material, and since you already own it it shouldn't be that much of a legal issue to download. Sure, sharing it is still illegal, but if they make it this hard to use the legal files...well...

Can you burn those tracks to disc somehow? If so, you might try burning them and then reconverting the resulting AIFFs or WAVs to MP3. If you have a third party burning program like Toast, you may even be able to skip the burning part and just convert them to AIFF or WAV and go from there. You may have some slight (most likely inaudible) quality loss, but it would still be better than shitty YouTube rips.

Just remove the files from your itunes library (just remove, store the actual files somewhere else just to be safe). Log in to your itunes account. On the itunes store screen, on the right panel you should see a link that says "purchased". Click on it and you should be able to see all your purchases. You should be able to redownload for free the complete U2 collection, at 256 DRM free files.

Back
Top Bottom