My friend got "U2 Fan- Shamed" last night!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone who just turned 30, I love this thread. I smiled through the entire story. Thank you for letting me know what I have to look forward to! Haha! The dating/hook up culture truly fascinates me as I never really participated in it while in college. I wanted to but didn't have the confidence and didn't drink, so there was no liquid courage to add.

I flailed about for a couple of years after college then got into a very difficult 4.5 year relationship that ended during the first leg of I&E- though it was on the rocks before then and over in all but name. Anyways, I sort of feel like your recently divorced buddy. I started into the bar scene toward the end of the relationship and I'm a regular at a few places in Boston. Lots of people I talk to- younger bartenders and patrons alike- say the exact same things about U2 as your buddy's hook up and her new college boy flame. It's funny because they pass themselves off as so in tune with the culture and artistry and probably think they're unique and U2 are lame old guys. Yet they sound the exact same in every city no matter how far apart geographically.

As long as the 22 year old was hot, your 35 year old buddy shouldn't worry much about her opinion of U2. Haha! If he meets someone who may be a keeper, then I'd suggest he play her some of the lesser known songs in the catalog. Or even some of the non-2000s hits and watch her go "really, this is U2? I've always liked this song!"

For what it's worth, the U2 young kids backlash/old has been argument doesn't seem to be as widespread as it was even a couple of years ago. I think the little splash I&E made independent of the Apple debacle was a positive one with most people. And of course, I'm hearing people who I never thought would have any interest in U2 talking about how they're looking forward to them playing JT this summer.

The 22 year old I guess you could say has a nice body, but she's kind of a hippy chick, not my type really. But then I'm old and have barely had a conversation with another woman in 11 years since I got with my wife, so what do I know? And her boyfriend was a metal head, cocky and outspoken, but obviously very insecure about himself. I had a good time fucking with him... I think he thought I was some kind of wise old wizard.

College boy: You guys like U2?!?! MAN, FUCK THAT!!! I listen to (lists off a bunch of obscure metal bands).
Me: Dude, I have no idea who that is... I'm "OLD", remember!
College Boy: Oh, so you're probably more into bands like AC/DC and Journey?
Me: Well my generation was more about Pearl Jam and Nirvana, but I like some AC/DC and Journey as well.
College Boy: Yeah man, you guys are getting close to 40, that makes sense. I can see your gray hairs starting to come in!

At this point my other friend (that is stuck in college, and didn't bang the 22 year old) absolutely loses his shit! He has a real fear of turning old, and went off on this young man. "I'm NOT ALMOST 40, YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT! FUCK YOU!!!" etc, etc, etc. I thought my friend was gonna punch this kid. I mean, the kid's not wrong. We're 35, and 5 years is not long, soon we'll be 40. I have accepted this and don't really care, but apparently my friend has not.

It was a strange night, and I was glad to be home. Next weekend, my friend is having a party at that same bar on the one year anniversary of when his wife left him. I guess I have to go... ugh... maybe I can at least get some good food out of the deal.

My friend got "U2 Fan- Shamed" last night!

Would you like some achtung, baby?

I once dated a girl who found Bono sexually arousing. Even admitted to pleasuring herself while looking at a picture of him once. This was in 2001 and we were 19. Horny girl, turned out not just for me and Bono either...

Back
Top Bottom