Most epic U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh Lyman

Babyface
Hey internet people,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks the most epic U2 song is, live or studio (and I don't mean epic as a synonym for "cool" or "something I like" the way kids these days do; I mean epic in the Iliad/Battle of Helm's Deep/standing on the edge of a mountain looking down at the ocean sense).

Studio I feel like you've gotta go with Where The Streets Have No Name, though With or Without You is almost equally epic in a ballad-ish way. Live the list increases to every other song or so. For me I'd go with Please-->Where The Streets Have No Name from PopMart. Please has that eerie build-up and epic climax, and then you have the glorious transition from dark to light with Streets. The forces of good triumph; you can all smile now.

I also really like 11 'O Clock Tick Tock live. Not too shabby for a bunch of teenagers with bad 80's haircuts. Oh, and Exit was badass, especially with the lights flashing during the end and all that. They should totally bring that one back.

What do you all think?

I agree with With or Without You as the epic ballad.

For other epicness, I like Until the End of the World and Gone. I'll throw in Zooropa too. :)

I agree with With or Without You as the epic ballad.

For other epicness, I like Until the End of the World and Gone. I'll throw in Zooropa too. :)
Yeah, going by the topic creator's classic and traditional sense of the word, the Beowulf-style epic, I'd say "Until the End of the World."

Bad from The Unforgettable Tour.

Anyone who's listened to a few bootlegs of it or watched the videos from Dortmund '84 and Live Aid know what I mean. If epic has a sound then that's it.

Streets is the obvious answer...but it's obvious for a reason. Other than that, The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown Caller, Bad, Zooropa, and MOS are all on my short list.

All I Want Is You and Hawkmoon 269 are both pretty epic songs..

the live version of Love is Blindness from ZooTV as well..

Where The Streets Have No Name

Bad

Until The End of the World

Moment of Surrender

Acrobat

Streets live, becuase the energy of the crowd mixed with that incredible intro blows that song miles above anything else. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

When I think of "epic" I don't necessarily think of what their best song is....

And so, to that end, to me their most epic song, especially LIVE, is New Year's Day. Like, when they play it...no need for bells and whistles with the stage set-up....the song is just that big.....at least to me.

So I see a lot of great songs listed here, but they don't strike me as "epic" in the way I apply the word to music...but I guess that's heavily subjective.

Back
Top Bottom