Miracle Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Seldom discussed (anymore) gem. One of the nicer tracks on that album, along with One Step Closer, A Man And A Woman, Sometimes You Can't Make It, etc. They probably won't ever play it live again, but I recall really enjoying it's time on the tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It still amuses me that it's track two on HTDAAB when Bono claimed it was their first rock album. It never grew on me but I did appreciate Edge and Larry's singing.

Using it to open some encores last year clearly didn't work and they realised it. Considering it was dropped during the third leg of Vertigo and missed the entire 360 tour...it seemed like a really odd choice.

Last edited:
Yeah, I assume It was tried in that spot because it can be related thematically to the "one pill a day can stop the aids transmission from mother to child" idea that they were looking to express. I guess they just didn't like (sightly) new arrangement version and dropped it- ala Discotheque Sept 2005

I like Miracle Drug. Has some solid U2 moments. Guitar melody, solid drumming, & Edge singing is cool.

I was at Phoenix 2 when they played it and I was like.....:huh:

Not the most rock n roll song to start an encore. I joked w/ my wife after the show. 'We went from seeing them on 360 and they opening the encore w/ HMTMKMKM and Ultraviolet to Miracle Drug'???

I wish there was a recorded version of the live arrangement from I+e - that completed it for mine

I liked the version from the Vertigo tour, it was a lot better live.

Didn't like the album version, nice melody but I find it pretty dull and I have no idea why they put it as track 2 on the album.

I like it, never fell absolutely in love with the whole thing, but I enjoy it.

My first impression was that if CoBL was their way of getting another Streets-type song to play live , then MD was a shot at a Bad-type song. It was just more formally constructed though, and doesn't have that sort of building, searching, yearning, then soaring quality of the songs the band constructed less formally, let's say. As with most U2 songs, you can feel the song writing process directly in the song.

It also had a the same sort of moment that Kite has with the last verse, where 'Sister Anne, she said..' Mirrors 'The Last of the rock stars..' In that it pulls you out of the song slightly as you think, 'hmm, who is this person/this idea' rather than just going with the emotion. I think it works better in Kite, but for both songs a couple of listens washes that aspect away and the melody flows over you quite nicely.

Sent from my fingertips.

Ummmm, the Sister Anne line is not in MD.

Haha, well that's one reason I don't post much; rushed that one out , didn't stop to check my memory, and Crumbs slipped in there somehow. I was likely thinking of 'science and the human heart' and got crossed up. As always, thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my fingertips.

Haha, well that's one reason I don't post much; rushed that one out , didn't stop to check my memory, and Crumbs slipped in there somehow. I was likely thinking of 'science and the human heart' and got crossed up. As always, thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my fingertips.

It's interesting that you mentioned that line though, as Crumbs is so oft-maligned, and it is also one of my favourite songs on that album.

Appreciated reading everyone's thoughts on MD. I don't listen to the albums sometimes for very long periods, and then when I go back I'm always surprised at how much I remember liking certain songs. I rarely revisit a song I previously disliked and find new liking for it, however, so I can't possibly fault anyone for still disliking this one! Lol

Doesn't do much for me apart from the "solo" and Edge's lines. Something about Bono's delivery seems off.

Let me start by saying that I find I am one of the few around here that really like HTDAAB(mixing and all).

With that said, Miracle Drug is an awesome song. Has a great build up, cool guitar sound, Edges lines are money and aside from the "top of a newborn" line...the lyrics are great.

I have always rated this song as one of U2s best. It's not a 10/10 for me but I usually feel 9/10 is where it lands. Wish it was the 2nd single from the album.

Let me start by saying that I find I am one of the few around here that really like HTDAAB(mixing and all).

With that said, Miracle Drug is an awesome song. Has a great build up, cool guitar sound, Edges lines are money and aside from the "top of a newborn" line...the lyrics are great.

I have always rated this song as one of U2s best. It's not a 10/10 for me but I usually feel 9/10 is where it lands. Wish it was the 2nd single from the album.

Totally agree,love miracle drug. Also OOTS is a fantastic song,came on my ipod on shuffle today. Forgot what a great song it is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using U2 Interference mobile app

Totally agree,love miracle drug. Also OOTS is a fantastic song,came on my ipod on shuffle today. Forgot what a great song it is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using U2 Interference mobile app

Had the same thing happen last week. That bit where Bono shouts in the background, as if he's ecstatic with the song, is brilliant. And great chiming guitar.
Miracle Drug... Never quite takes off for me.

I really like this song, it speaks to me because it reminds me of my my mother's death from cancer in the 90's. Something it would seem that I've kinda repressed as I don't dwell on it much. But when I'm in the right mood, and Bono sings I'd give it up, for a miracle drug, then yeah, it cracks me up again, the gates open and I too would give it all for a miracle drug.

And a time machine of course.

I really like this song, it speaks to me because it reminds me of my my mother's death from cancer in the 90's. Something it would seem that I've kinda repressed as I don't dwell on it much. But when I'm in the right mood, and Bono sings I'd give it up, for a miracle drug, then yeah, it cracks me up again, the gates open and I too would give it all for a miracle drug.

And a time machine of course.

Just caught up on this. Thanks for sharing that. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom