Mikal's Official Alternate Tracklist Thread!!!1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropassengers:

1. Zooropa
2. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3. United Colours
4. Always Forever Now
5. Some Days Are Better Than Others
6. A Different Kind Of Blue
7. Beach Sequence
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Dirty Day
10. Lemon
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. Your Blue Room
13. The First Time

Listened to this last night and I must say, this is pretty brilliant. The only thing I changed was adding Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me after Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car and Slug before YBR.

Other than that, it was absolutely fantastic. My favorite part? A Different Kind of Blue > Beach Sequence > Miss Sarajevo. That sequence was jaw-dropping beautiful. Also really enjoyed the opening, Zooropa > Daddy's Gonna Pay > (in mine) Hold Me, Thrill Me. Fantastic 1-2-3 punch to start off a brilliant album.

I've been working on an alternate version of HTDAAB for a while now, and finally got it down to something I liked:

HOW TO ASSEMBLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
03. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
04. Love and Peace or Else
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
09. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
10. City of Blinding Lights
11. Xanax and Wine

Thought process? I tried to maintain that rougher feeling the album lacked when U2 included tracks like Miracle Drug and OOTS and chose a more stock guitar sound for Sometimes. In this approach, AYGWF was a natural for inclusion and so was Xanax in lieu of Fast Cars. (Y'know, punk rock from Venus and all that.) My version of ABOY is a hybrid of the album and alt mixes - it's alt until the bridge, where it turns into the album mix. Same with SYCMIOYO. There's a few other differences: Vertigo has a different intro, LAPOE ends sooner, COBL is sped up a bit. I also attempted to make Electrical, Smile, AYGWF, Xanax and the alt sections of ABOY & Sometimes sound like the rest of the real album. Which pretty much meant smushing out dynamics and turning up bass.

ABOY + Vertigo makes a kickass one-two punch. I included both songs about Bono's father, considering they give the album some identity. The lover's quarrel from the end of LAPOE continues through ES and Smile before another song about his dad. The heaviness is lifted with a couple throwaway songs before the big album highlight, the album's big journey. Then some garage rock and we're done. I like to think the narrator is a little neurotic, easily overwhelmed, hurt by love and doing his best to expand his borders. Which only makes him crazy-neurotic. :p

tl;dr - much more rawk and very better.

I wanted to share this album on interference, but I'm kind of a file-sharing noob. I put all the files up on megaupload, so if anybody wants to hear my version, just leave your e-mail in this thread or whatever. I'll e-mail you the links. :shh:

I've been working on an alternate version of HTDAAB for a while now, and finally got it down to something I liked:

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
11. Xanax and Wine

Thought process? I tried to maintain that rougher feeling the album lacked when U2 included tracks like Miracle Drug and OOTS and chose a more stock guitar sound for Sometimes. In this approach, AYGWF was a natural for inclusion and so was Xanax in lieu of Fast Cars. (Y'know, punk rock from Venus and all that.) My version of ABOY is a hybrid of the album and alt mixes - it's alt until the bridge, where it turns into the album mix. Same with SYCMIOYO. There's a few other differences: Vertigo has a different intro, LAPOE ends sooner, COBL is sped up a bit. I also attempted to make Electrical, Smile, AYGWF, Xanax and the alt sections of ABOY & Sometimes sound like the rest of the real album. Which pretty much meant smushing out dynamics and turning up bass.

ABOY + Vertigo makes a kickass one-two punch. I included both songs about Bono's father, considering they give the album some identity. The lover's quarrel from the end of LAPOE continues through ES and Smile before another song about his dad. The heaviness is lifted with a couple throwaway songs before the big album highlight, the album's big journey. Then some garage rock and we're done. I like to think the narrator is a little neurotic, easily overwhelmed, hurt by love and doing his best to expand his borders. Which only makes him crazy-neurotic. :p

I wanted to share this album on interference, but I'm kind of a file-sharing noob. I put all the files up on megaupload, so if anybody wants to hear my version, just leave your e-mail in this thread or whatever. I'll e-mail you the links. :shh:

Wow sounds seriously very interesting! i've always been a big HTDAAB lover (rare on this board huh?). I'd think this would be a great album as I play it out in my head. Can you please drop this by me?

vincentmag@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!:wave:

POP

01 PopMuzik (Radio Edit)
02 Mofo (Romin Mix)
03 Do You Feel Loved
04 If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
05 Last Night on Earth (Single Version)
06 Gone
07 Discotheque
08 Staring At the Sun
09 Miami
10 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11 If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12 Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
13 Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
14 Please (Single Version)
15 Wake Up Dead Man

(I've dumped Playboy Mansion. I'd rather add Hallelujah, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Save the Children, I'm Not Your Baby, New Day, North & South of the River, Give Me Back My Job, Let the Good Times Roll and Goldeneye before resorting to Playboy Mansion....)

Wow sounds seriously very interesting! i've always been a big HTDAAB lover (rare on this board huh?). I'd think this would be a great album as I play it out in my head. Can you please drop this by me?

vincentmag@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!:wave:
Sent. You're welcome btw, and thanks for the interest.
I see in another thread that you are a musician. Hopefully my amateur hybrid mixes hold up to your ears!

Sent. You're welcome btw, and thanks for the interest.
I see in another thread that you are a musician. Hopefully my amateur hybrid mixes hold up to your ears!

Thanks once again! I'm getting them right now. And I've heard other hybrid mixes that I've really enjoyed so it's probably likely I'll like yours. I'll review them one I get through with the listen.

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
11. Xanax and Wine

I've got to say that was great! Very interesting listen. I thought the songs flowed quite nicely actually. Though I still pick the actual album over this alternate version, this alternate Bomb is actually a very strong one. I loved the AYGWF --> COBL --> X&W. And your mashups of the alternate takes with the album takes were very well done. I loved it on SYCMIOYO. Also COBL benefited imo from being sped up a bit. Very well put together. Thanks for that!:applaud:

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
11. Xanax and Wine

This sounds really cool actually. I'd love a copy if you've got the time to send one! seastwood9@gmail.com

Thanks! Much appresh :D

Scorpionac said:

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
11. Xanax and Wine

Absolutely! mrjavish at gmail.com

01. All Because of You
02. Vertigo
05. Electrical Storm
06. Smile
07. One Step Closer
08. A Man and a Woman
11. Xanax and Wine

Hells yes please
theechomusic@yahoo.com

Why do pepple quote a whole post and add only one sentence or request?
Think of the smartphone users!

I was actually going to work on it more (mostly just screwing with the hybrids and adding some silence to the end of LAPOE), but I sent it to you all anyway. Happy listening!

I love the songs you dropped... miracle drug for one.. but your list looks great as a different album!
I have a soft spot for Miracle Drug, too. What really bugs me about it, though, is how it sounds like 'Clocks' or any other song you might hear in an SUV commercial.

As for Crumbs and Yahweh, I think the double-tracked vocals really kill them. Overproduction's the problem there IMO, as well as the by-the-numbers feel of the guitar, lyrics, melody, everything really. :rockon: They almost feel like parody to me, and not by very interesting songwriters. OOTS is an alright pop song, but a real string section and more lyrics would help it out. Either way, it didn't belong on Bomb, which I think should've been U2's big rocker after the softer pop on ATYCLB.

I just made two weird but oddly satisfying album combinations:

The Unforgettable October

These albums go together quite well :heart:

1. Gloria
2. Bad
3. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
4. Stranger In A Strange Land
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Fire
7. A Celebration
8. A Sort Of Homecoming
9. With A Shout
10. Is That All?
11. Rejoice
12. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
13. Disappearing Act
14. Tomorrow
15. MLK
16. Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come

Warboy

...depressing as hell to listen to but a good change.​

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. Like A Song...
4. Twilight
5. Two Hearts Beat As One
6. The Electric Co
7. Red Light
8. An Cat Dubh
9. Drowning Man
10. Surrender
11. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
12. Surrender
13. New Years Day
14. Shadows And Tall Trees
15. "40"

The tracklisting is based on how the songs flow into each other or the mood of the songs. For example, Sunday Bloody Sunday next to "40" would be a no.

I've recently rediscovered The Unforgettable Fire thanks to the Rate the Songs tourney. Most songs are brilliant, but the album as a whole is off-kilter. I fiddled with it some and here's my version:

01. A Sort of Homecoming
02. Pride (in the Name of Love)
03. Love Comes Tumbling
04. Indian Summer Sky
05. The Unforgettable Fire
06. The Three Sunrises
07. Wire
08. Promenade
09. Bass Trap (3:30 'Best of' edit)
10. Bad
11. MLK

I also have a version of The Joshua Tree that I know you all are desperate to try out:

01. Where the Streets Have No Name
02. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
03. Bullet the Blue Sky
04. Running to Stand Still
05. With or Without You
06. Walk to the Water
07. Red Hill Mining Town
08. Exit
09. In God's Country
10. One Tree Hill
11. Mothers of the Disappeared

I think I finally found my preferred ATYCLB Tracklist.

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
Stateless
In A Little While
When I Look At The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Here is my Joshua Tree "complete"

(Beautiful Ghost Intro) *I edited this down & mixed w/the beginning of Streets
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Spanish Eyes
With Or Without You
Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Rise Up (remastered, took the hiss out of it)
Deep In The Heart

Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Walk To The Water
Trip Through Your Wires
Sweetest Thing
Desert Of Our Love (remastered, took the hiss out and end comments)
One Tree Hill
Exit
Silver And Gold
Mother's Of The Disappeared

No Line On The Horizon

No Line On The Horizon 2
Breathe
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Fez - Being Born
White As Snow
Cedars Of Lebanon

Necropost. Bump. Whatever you want to call this. Some great posts in here. Glad I found this thread. I need this.

We all know U2 isn't perfect, I mean who is. I've been working on revised track listings for just about every album for awhile now (though they aren't my top 2, I don't think I'd change Boy or AB). Some are tougher than others. Here's my Joshua Tree:

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
3. Spanish Eyes
4. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
5. With or Without You
6. Running to Stand Still
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. In God’s Country
9. Desert of Our Love
10. Sweetest Thing
11. One Tree Hill
12. Bullet the Blue Sky
13. Mothers of the Disappeared

It's pretty much perfect. The only question is whether to include TTYW and/or Exit (I'd place the former after IGC and the latter after OTH). Of course I have another playlist that includes all the JT tracks, but this isn't that.

But that just making a great thing better. Some codes are tougher to crack. Rattle and Hum is interesting, a revised track list for that one brings it up 3 or 4 albums in my all time rankings. Of course for that you need to get rid of all the BS and add in Hallelujah and Heartbreak Hotel. I played around a bit more and added Silver and Gold (Sun City Version) and Trip Through Your Wires (because it's not on my JT).

The one I'm really stuck on is Unforgettable Fire. It's one of my favorites even without any revision, but there's obviously room to change things up. But how? The b-sides are all great, but a lot are instrumentals and have a decidedly different sound to the tracks on the finished album. All I have so far is for it to start with TUF, Wire, and ISS and end with Pride, EPAA, and ASOH. But how to fill in the middle baffles me.

Anyone else got some revised track lists?

I've got it, the perfect Unforgettable Fire track list:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Disappearing Act
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Wire
6. Yoshino Blossom
7. Promenade
8. The Three Sunrises
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Bad
11. MLK
12. Elvis Presley and America

I actually did this for Zooropa and was planning on doing it for Pop and ATYCLB but my tracks are all on my laptop which is out of commission currently. I actually do like this idea though. Brilliant thread idea. :up:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom