'Miami' vs. 'New York'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Song Do You Prefer?

• Miami

Votes: 79 45.7%
  • New York

Votes: 94 54.3%

• Total voters

asr

Acrobat
For me, both these songs back to back on ATYCLB would have made the album even greater-with Miami replacing 'Grace' and POP would have been even greater if 'Holy Joe' replaced 'Miami. Anyways, I'm on the fence,personally, about which song about an American city I like better.

My mammy. But I disagree with your original post and think it makes little sense at all.

Grace was a beautiful song and a great way to end ATYCLB. Miami sucks both lyrically and musically. New York is an okay song, but it's definitely not one of the best U2 songs out there. I don't think it 'fit' the whole album mantra of death and life.

Both songs suck. Mostly due to Bono...

Miami is interesting with it's attempt at trip hop, but somewhat too stagnent. Although I have to admit to singing along when Bono really starts screaming towards the end.

New York I thought really could have been a great live rock song but suffered from shit lyrics...

Both songs had the potential to be great with a different lyric and some tweaking...

But If I had to pick...

New York

I love both. There was a solo that Edge added to the end of New York live, that I thought really sounded 11 O'Clock Tick Tock/New Year's Day-ish. I loved that. I think New York is a great atmospheric rocker.

Miami became a different beast live. The guitar riff was sort of subdued on the record, but it was monstrous live. It was like Edge was channeling Jimmy Page. If U2 could play it like that again, I wouldn't mind it at all if it made its way into the live set this time around.

I can't choose.

Grace was a beautiful song and a great way to end ATYCLB. Miami sucks both lyrically and musically. New York is an okay song, but it's definitely not one of the best U2 songs out there. I don't think it 'fit' the whole album mantra of death and life.
Are you actually saying that, of the 3, you prefer Grace?! I despise Grace -- bores me. I prefer New York to Miami, but I admire Miami more and think it had so much potential if The Edge had come up with a better guitar part; the rhythm section is killer. I also listen to Miami more often, so maybe I actually prefer Miami. Still like New York, though.

Yes, I definitely prefer Grace to all 3. I make no apologies for that. However, if I had to choose between Miami and NY, NY wins everytime.

Studio versions: New York wins easily.
Live versions: very close - Miami with the "cuba" ending and the intense guitar is awesome. But New York is massive live.

Are you actually saying that, of the 3, you prefer Grace?! I despise Grace -- bores me. I prefer New York to Miami, but I admire Miami more and think it had so much potential if The Edge had come up with a better guitar part; the rhythm section is killer. I also listen to Miami more often, so maybe I actually prefer Miami. Still like New York, though.

I would take Grace over these two if I had to chose one of the three,but since this is Miami vs New York I'll take New York.Miami is a good experimental song but of the POP outakes I would take just about all of them over Miami.

Hate to say it, but New York is the only interesting thing about the second half of ATYCLB (my least fave U2 album). Other than that we got pointless Bono-posturing filler. This only works if they beef up Miami like they did live.

2008-05-13-Jeff_Van_Gundy_On_Alonzo.jpg

New York. I honestly think that one is incredibly underrated. It's very creepy, and the chorus packs a wallop, especially live.

Miami is very cool live, but there's a reason the album version is so often panned.

I don't think either of them are that great...though New York has a few lines that really resonate.

I think the best song on the 2nd half of ATYLCB is When I Look at the World, which IMO is one of their most underrated songs.

They are probably the two crapiest, boring and pointless songs U2 ever made, so to choose between the two is a matter of which i hate a little less...
Nah, both suck big time....

Back
Top Bottom