Looking for U2's comments of POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watch the U2 madness clips on youtube. Just fantastic and that's why i love U2 in that period. Balls out no taking back there.

I love how Bono is really not happy with adam calling pop "garbage", actually saying that Adam was really on it on POP, which he was. I think U2 should really sit back and actually rethink their opinion about POP and embrace it a lot more.

I think U2 should really sit back and actually rethink their opinion about POP and embrace it a lot more.
I think U2 shouldn´t embrace the notion of writing half baked songs which do nothing for some really great lyrics and then have some producers bake the shit out of them.

U2byU2 is indeed probably the best way to get a fair view on how the band views POP.
The book does show though that there are maybe only two U2 albums they are sort of proud of.

Almost every U2 album since War is a polarizing album in a way.
The difference is that POP makes people reach for outlandish statements like containing words like ´bold´, ´naked´ and ´sonic landscapes´ to try and justify why they enjoy the album.

I don´t need to justify why I think No Line ... is U2´s true masterpiece.
I barely understand why I like certain music better than other music.
Truly don´t care why others feel why they have certain preferences.

The book does show though that there are maybe only two U2 albums they are sort of proud of.

That is what I hate about U2 by U2. They are way too critical of their work. And the inflated love given to HTDAAB by the band is......:|

That is what I hate about U2 by U2. They are way too critical of their work. And the inflated love given to HTDAAB by the band is......:|

Considering it was their most recent album, it was probably the most fresh in their minds at the time (hence the more time given to it).

If you are looking for comments made by the band regarding POP you may want to check out this link

(1995-1999) Original Sound-Pop | U2 Interview Archive

The whole website is dedicated to radio interviews conducted with the band over the duration of their career.

I listened to the first one called "The Real Thing" fanzine interview with Bono. The opening is a bit strange...but maybe it's just Bono's sense of humor (?). He does go into a bit about his thoughts about the record and its reception. I think he called it "a sleeper." Don't quote me...I listened to it a few weeks ago. Anyway, it's an interesting interview and there are several more from that era on that page....I want to listen to the Jo Whiley interview from March of '97...something about Bono 'has an allergic reaction to red wine and is highly medicated...:hmm:'

Happy listening!

Almost every U2 album since War is a polarizing album in a way.
The difference is that POP makes people reach for outlandish statements like containing words like ´bold´, ´naked´ and ´sonic landscapes´ to try and justify why they enjoy the album.

I don´t need to justify why I think No Line ... is U2´s true masterpiece.
I barely understand why I like certain music better than other music.
Truly don´t care why others feel why they have certain preferences.

In other words, you don't have to justify any opinion on a piece of music because you can't. But when it comes to talking about others' opinions on that same piece of music, you somehow know that they are wrong, even if you "barely understand" why you, yourself, like that piece of music.

On top of that you admit that you "truly don't care" why others feel a certain way...and yet you've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of THOUSANDS of posts discussing this same music. Good stuff there, Salome.

In other words, you don't have to justify any opinion on a piece of music because you can't. But when it comes to talking about others' opinions on that same piece of music, you somehow know that they are wrong, even if you "barely understand" why you, yourself, like that piece of music.

On top of that you admit that you "truly don't care" why others feel a certain way...and yet you've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of THOUSANDS of posts discussing this same music. Good stuff there, Salome.

That's what i call a "touché" post.

:lol: Gold!!

Back
Top Bottom