Looking for the description of the 5 stages of being a fan that I saw here. Help?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UV_U2

The Fly
I read quite a while ago a very interesting/funny description of the 5 stages / phases of being a fan (e.g. 1st phase: paying attention, 2. discovering the albums......4.absolutely everything they say/do is totally true and they're God. 5. though you love them you kinda see what is not necessarely working.......Something like that but with more details and better described).
Could anybody a bit more computer /search savvy than I am help me out? I know for sure it was on interference where I read it....

Thank you so much in advance!!

"When Edge's string broke during Until The End of the World and hit Larry in the eye which caused him to lose his timing and Bono to forget the rest of the words, the raw emotion it generated was so intense. It was the best version ever."

"I know everyone thinks I'm crazy for seeing Bono's face in my cat's litter box this morning but when I post it on the forum, those people will understand."

:lol:

I'd say I'm at stage 6.

Thanks, alanah! I think that's the one, I don't know why I was sure it was in Interference! Guess I'm between 4 and 5... depending what's going on and when you ask... kinda miss the full on stage 4! LOL
:applaud:

it wasn't 'til POP when I realized that U2 could make mistakes...even though I love that album now! But it was def my first phase 5 moment, and i was 14 at the time. Coming fresh off the heels of AB and Zooropa (with JT being my fave "older" U2 album), it was definitely a shock and not what I expected. And I didn't really get it until sometime right before BOMB was released, which is my least fave album...go figure...it all comes full circle, an album I regarded as the worst became one of my faves just as they released one that I still consider the worst.

I'm not completely at stage 5 yet, but I'm definitely getting there. I was on stage 4 completely before I heard Miami a time ago, I was completely gutted. I often say about U2 songs that people generally think isn't that good that "meh, it's not great but still underrated", but with Miami...no, it just sucks. :down::down:

I think it's a bad song, and I'm now able to accept that.

I always go through stage 4 around the time I'm going to a concert. So, like, right now. :hyper: But normally I'm at the end of 4/beginning of stage 5.

:laugh: I think I'm almost there!
"When Edge's string broke during Until The End of the World and hit Larry in the eye which caused him to lose his timing and Bono to forget the rest of the words, the raw emotion it generated was so intense. It was the best version ever."

"I know everyone thinks I'm crazy for seeing Bono's face in my cat's litter box this morning but when I post it on the forum, those people will understand."

I'd say I'm at stage 6.

If I read through my posts over the years on various forums (including the old WIRE), I know there were times I may have sounded like a die-hard 4.0 on that scale. :) However, part of my preaching was that I think I had accepted the band's business decisions. I got that I may not like it all. I also knew there were songs I simply did not like - at least as how they were presented on the album ("Bullet", for example). In that context, I've been in 5.0 mode since 1987.

I guess I get the artist trying to be an artist. Sometimes I like the art, sometimes I don't, but I always appreciate the effort. I also see the business side. And like the art side, sometimes I think the business decision is great, while other times I'm not in agreement. For example, I thought it was wildly risky to launch 360 as a stadium tour given how PopMart struggled in certain cities and given the worldwide recession. I just didn't think people had the disposable income to sell out stadiums. Clearly I was wrong and now I view 360 as my second favorite (after the indoor ZOO TV).

So throw me at 4.5, I guess. I will still defend them :hug:, but openly acknowledge items I do not like. :hmm:

And if Stage 6 is "past caring", then I don't think that will happen to me. And *if* that is the definition, then I challenge those stating they are there. After all, why did you just post on a U2 forum? Clearly you care. :)

I would say stage six is just moving on... U2 will always be my favourites but I have broadened my musical horizons significantly and don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to.

Yeah, this got me:

Back
Top Bottom