Let's discuss "Where the Streets Have No Name" during ZOO TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
After the late 1980s of the Joshua Tree, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had become their staple opener, opening shows, and also opening a few encores. At the time, this song was such a different song for the band, compared to "I Will Follow" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- that it was probably not going to be played further than Joshua Tree / Lovetown shows. After all, "The Unforgettable Fire" disappeared after the Joshua Tree. So what was to become of "Streets?"

With "Achtung, Baby!" released, U2 embarked on a new tour, and ceased to break all traditions by playing six or seven songs, "Zoo Station" became their new opener, quickly followed by a six track punch to the face of their latest material. Would "Streets" ever see the light of day again, or had it been put on the shelf? Could the band go through an entire show without relying too heavily on the material that brought them success? Surely "With Or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" would have a secured spot somewhere in the setlist...

But towards the progression of the show, they started a trio of songs, playing, "Bullet the Blue Sky" followed by "Running to Stand Still" and as the Bono passionately sang, "Halle...Hallejuah" and the song began to wrap up, there was a long pause between songs, was it an encore break? There was something magical about the moment, it had that dream like setting, and as Bono progressed up the catwalk, a synth started gaining sound...

As the synth started it's warming up, a cymbal was struck, and then followed by a few chimed notes. Edge began to "dial in" his Strat, and we heard him pluck a few more times, until the familiar notes began to ring out. The audience's applause was overwhelming, much like they had forgotten about the song, and as Edge, Larry and Adam picked up momentum and the song spilled over as the house lights nearly blinded everyone. People were clapping, jumping and throwing their hands in the air, as if it was a release from all the tension of the set. It was at this point that "Where the Streets Have No Name" became the turning point in their setlist.

It's hard to imagine what a U2 show would be like, without "Streets." It has become a journey, it's an escape, but it's one of many songs that you know true craftsmanship has made. It's not just a simple, catchy song -- it's more complex than most people would think.

At the time, this song was such a different song for the band, compared to "I Will Follow" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- that it was probably not going to be played further than Joshua Tree / Lovetown shows. After all, "The Unforgettable Fire" disappeared after the Joshua Tree. So what was to become of "Streets?"
What are you basing this assumption on? :scratch:

But yes, the RTSS/Streets combo was one of the highlights of ZooTV...

It was one of many highlights for me, especially the use of the Joshua Tree video shoot on the big screens where older Bono gets to wave to younger Bono.

"Achtung Baby" does not have an exclaimation mark in its title. Seriously, I read that like every day. Do you think I'm gonna start writing The Unforgettable Fire! now? Just because you like an album with a funny title doesn't mean you have to make that title stand out bare-balls in the middle of your sentence.

Anyway, Streets in Zoo was alright. Never cared for the song in general much though, although I at least acknowledge it as a song that's popular more than just because it has an uplifting two minute intro where nothing happens and because it's about Heaven or Africa or one of those Bono places.

Nice post, if a bit theatrical (but this may be where our tastes differ -- read on). I doubt there was ever a chance of 'Streets' being dropped for the 1992 tour. U2 are too conservative as a live act to do that. (Bono did say that he thought they would drop it from the Pop shows until the others talked him out of it.) There is at least one world-beating artist who completely dropped the songs of the past while embarking on a new direction, and that was Bob Dylan in 1979, who dropped 18 years of brilliant songs to play nothing but his new gospel tunes.

I think U2 could have done that in 1991-1992 -- they certainly had a lot of great material to work from, and I think a very good 100-minute show would have been possible with nothing but new material. In fact, I tend to quickly lose interest in most pre-current-album songs on tours, and more so as bands get older. Some of the JT/R&H tunes sounded great, of course, on ZooTV, and 'Streets' was fine, but I've never really enjoyed it after the 1987 and 1989 tours.

'Running To Stand Still' is an example of a song that I think was not well-played, or well-performed. It became a theatrical musical-theatre show with Bono miming injecting himself, which I found corny. The song lost its rootsy, country charm that made it great in the first place.

'Bullet The Blue Sky', on the other hand, was even better on ZooTV than in the late 80s, largely due to Edge's playing some really funky licks.

'Where The Streets Have No Name' might be my favourite U2 song (on record) ever, and it's a song, performance, and track of stunning brilliance. I'm not sure that it's "more complex than people think", though. The intro is tricky for the rhythm section because it switches time signatures, but overall it's not a hugely complex tune. The melody and lyrics are pretty basic as well.

"Achtung Baby" does not have an exclaimation mark in its title. Seriously, I read that like every day. Do you think I'm gonna start writing The Unforgettable Fire! now? Just because you like an album with a funny title doesn't mean you have to make that title stand out bare-balls in the middle of your sentence.

Anyway, Streets in Zoo was alright. Never cared for the song in general much though, although I at least acknowledge it as a song that's popular more than just because it has an uplifting two minute intro where nothing happens and because it's about Heaven or Africa or one of those Bono places.

During the early promotion for AB, it had a "!" at the end of it. I have the press ads for it somewhere.

After the late 1980s of the Joshua Tree, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had become their staple opener, opening shows, and also opening a few encores. At the time, this song was such a different song for the band, compared to "I Will Follow" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- that it was probably not going to be played further than Joshua Tree / Lovetown shows. After all, "The Unforgettable Fire" disappeared after the Joshua Tree. So what was to become of "Streets?"

With "Achtung, Baby!" released, U2 embarked on a new tour, and ceased to break all traditions by playing six or seven songs, "Zoo Station" became their new opener, quickly followed by a six track punch to the face of their latest material. Would "Streets" ever see the light of day again, or had it been put on the shelf? Could the band go through an entire show without relying too heavily on the material that brought them success? Surely "With Or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" would have a secured spot somewhere in the setlist...

But towards the progression of the show, they started a trio of songs, playing, "Bullet the Blue Sky" followed by "Running to Stand Still" and as the Bono passionately sang, "Halle...Hallejuah" and the song began to wrap up, there was a long pause between songs, was it an encore break? There was something magical about the moment, it had that dream like setting, and as Bono progressed up the catwalk, a synth started gaining sound...

As the synth started it's warming up, a cymbal was struck, and then followed by a few chimed notes. Edge began to "dial in" his Strat, and we heard him pluck a few more times, until the familiar notes began to ring out. The audience's applause was overwhelming, much like they had forgotten about the song, and as Edge, Larry and Adam picked up momentum and the song spilled over as the house lights nearly blinded everyone. People were clapping, jumping and throwing their hands in the air, as if it was a release from all the tension of the set. It was at this point that "Where the Streets Have No Name" became the turning point in their setlist.

It's hard to imagine what a U2 show would be like, without "Streets." It has become a journey, it's an escape, but it's one of many songs that you know true craftsmanship has made. It's not just a simple, catchy song -- it's more complex than most people would think.

I'm not going to pick apart your post, I'll just share the love for ZooTV Streets. :applaud: That RTSS transition is a classic, and I like the way you wrote it. Always wished I could've experienced it live. :up:

Wasn't it mentioned in the book "At the end of the world" that they thought about not playing Streets for the Zoo TV tour? The setlist was designed in order for them to play about 6-7 songs off the new album, in a row, then do a "hits" set, then finish the concert with newer material as well as with a few covers scattered through-out the set.

I enjoyed your post, theu2fly. I think the walk along the stage by Bono after RTSS was fantastic. The theatre is what made it.

I don't understand why a few of you skumbags had to pick at every word, though. You all need to have a look at yourself if that's what you need to do to boost your own worthiness.

I enjoyed your post, theu2fly. I think the walk along the stage by Bono after RTSS was fantastic. The theatre is what made it.

I don't understand why a few of you skumbags had to pick at every word, though. You all need to have a look at yourself if that's what you need to do to boost your own worthiness.

I may be a "skumbag", but you're Victorian! Ooh, how do you like them apples?

"It's not Achtung, Baby! it's Achtung Baby"....
"Not to pick your post apart, but..."

Seriously, you wouldn't even write that other than to bignote yourself as a more superior U2 nerd eg "I know more U2 crap than you do".

Just enjoy the post, and if you don't, read a different one.

Where are you from, sad punk?

Back
Top Bottom