Let's discuss the merits of "Is That All?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
U2- Is That All? - YouTube

First, let's look at some of the reasons people don't like the song (feel free to add as well).

- Its main riff is taken from The Cry, which is associated with one of the best early-days songs, The Electric Co.
- It's the last song on an album that includes a number of early fan favourites.
- It's preceded by Scarlet, which is quite pretty, and some say feels like a more natural closer.
- The lyrics are pretty basic.
- It sounds rushed and unfinished, and is little more than a glorified demo.

Over the years, Is That All? has been consistently criticised here. In all our survivors, it has inevitably been the first song from October to get the boot.

I've got a history of defending regular Cesspool EYWIK whipping-boys - Babyface, Some Days are Better Than Others, Stranger in a Strange Land, Shadows and Tall Trees, Elvis Presley and America, Grace, Red Light, the list goes on.

I think all the above are largely bullshit reasons to dislike the song.

I just posted this in the Bono's best vocal performances thread, but I really treasure "Is That All?".

We all know the stories about the recording of October. It was incredibly difficult - the band and Paul were fighting with themselves over whether being in a rock band was a suitable way to fulfill themselves spiritually and they were fighting amongst themselves. A briefcase containing lyrics was stolen. The band didn't have enough time to satisfactorily finish the album's recording.

And that's why I hold "Is That All?" so dear. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another song by a band that so accurately portrays its recording. The band was frustrated and you can hear it in the song.

They didn't have enough time to finish the album properly, so they took the riff from The Cry and used it as a starting point for a song they had to finish. Stressed, with little time remaining, Bono had to do the best he could to come up with lyrics and a vocal take. He was 20 (or 21?) He was yet to develop into the master lyricist he would soon become. The lyrics are very basic and simple - but they've got meaning, which people always look over.

"To sing this song makes me angry / I'm not angry with you"

"But is that all? Is that all?

"Is that all you want from me?"

Once you get past The Cry intro, the rest of the band, too, are great. Edge's guitar playing, while typical of his guitar playing on most of the band's songs at the time, is awesome, and the rhythm section has a lot of urgency.

It's an upbeat sort of song too, like the band wanted to make a great upbeat rocker to finish the album with, but you can hear the frustration, as the final minute or so is just frenetic guitar playing and Bono singing "is that all..." over and over again.

Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?

I do. I've always supported this song here over the years, especially when it would be getting trashed in the song ranking or survivor threads. I love it. :up:

Personally, I love the song. There's lots of examples of artists taking something they do live and turning a song out of it (first thing that comes to mind is Bruce turning his little, "Is there anybody alive out there?!" shout and incorporating it into the song "Radio Nowhere"). I don't think it's so wrong that they re-appropriated some music for a pretty fun little closer. Though, I do agree that Scarlet would probably be a better closer.

Honestly, I get a bit more irritated by Bono reusing long bits of lyric, like, oh, I don't know...dream out loud?

The Cry > Is That All?

My main problem is simply the placement on the album. I've nothing much against the song, though it's by no means a favourite; it's just that Scarlet is a great way to end the album. Is That All? would have been better used as a b-side, since they had enough material for the album without chucking Is That All? on there.

I also think the whole "had no material" thing is really overstated. You can make an entire album - a rather good one too - out of unreleased tracks from 1978-80. If they were that desperate for songs, why didn't they use tracks that were already written and ready to go like Street Mission, The Fool, Lost on a Distant Planet, or especially Cartoon World (once planned to be a single) and Pete the Chop (kept in reserve for the very situation of needing material, especially single-worthy material)? I have to wonder how much of the "didn't have enough time" and "the material was incomplete" rhetoric was an attempt to explain away recording sessions and an album that in retrospect didn't achieve everything the band hoped to achieve.

I'm reasonably sure I've read somewhere that they had to get out of the studio because some other band was coming in? Or was that War?

I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks that the song is interesting because of the circumstances, a document of frustration, as I've mentioned above? Even if you don't like the song...

That was when they came up with 40, in like the hour before they got booted from the studio.

I'm reasonably sure I've read somewhere that they had to get out of the studio because some other band was coming in? Or was that War?

I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks that the song is interesting because of the circumstances, a document of frustration, as I've mentioned above? Even if you don't like the song...

I don't like the song, it gets on my nerves. I don't think the song is interesting because of the circumstances. The circumstances might be interesting, the song is not.

I love October because it's the sound of frustration. I mean that in a good good way. It's the sound of U2 discovering for the first time that they aren't invincible. There's a sense of terror that permeates each song. Terror at the thought they won't last, terror at the thought that their best days are behind them, terror at the thought that they could possibly (and almost did) implode. If only all bands could fail this exquisitely on a sophomore slump album. They perform like their lives depend on it. Each song is a supreme statement of creative frustration. Bono sings his heart out like it's his swan song. Edge's guitar is aggressively haunted. Larry pounds the shit out of the drums. Adam's got a great afro! I love this album. And "Is That All" is the perfect closer, the question that was on everyone's mind. "Is this it? Are we finished?" And the track ends with them whistling off to their back-up jobs...it was fun while it lasted...

I love October because it's the sound of frustration. I mean that in a good good way. It's the sound of U2 discovering for the first time that they aren't invincible. There's a sense of terror that permeates each song. Terror at the thought they won't last, terror at the thought that their best days are behind them, terror at the thought that they could possibly (and almost did) implode. If only all bands could fail this exquisitely on a sophomore slump album. They perform like their lives depend on it. Each song is a supreme statement of creative frustration. Bono sings his heart out like it's his swan song. Edge's guitar is aggressively haunted. Larry pounds the shit out of the drums. Adam's got a great afro! I love this album. And "Is That All" is the perfect closer, the question that was on everyone's mind. "Is this it? Are we finished?" And the track ends with them whistling off to their back-up jobs...it was fun while it lasted...

:up:

ozeeko, a brilliant summary. I've always been one of the weirdoes who puts October in her favorite albums list and you managed to put into words what I hear when I listen to it. :)

(first post in what, almost 9+ years? go me :huh:)

Back
Top Bottom