Let's discuss 90s U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
We've done early 80s and late 80s u2 - here and here - and the recent, hugely exciting, inclusion of Zooropa in recent setlists has inspired me to go ahead and create this one. Same questions as before:

[size=+2]Regarding everything - including Passengers - from 1991 to 1998:[/size]

1) What is the best A-side single in this period?

2) What is the best B-side(preferably non-remix, I've added a separate question for that)?

3) I've added this question because it applies specifically to this era: What is the best remix?

4) What is best album-track - that is, non-single album track - from this period?

5) What is the best overall album (from four studio LPs) and why?

6) For those in the know, what is the best bootleg available from this period?

7) What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

I actually can't answer these myself right away - it's really hard.

1. The Fly, maybe not my favorite single of the time period but it holds a special place for me. It's the first time I heard a brand new U2 song for the first time... and holy shit that guitar :drool:

2. North and South of the River/ Two Shots... it's a tie.

3. The Dirty Day remixes, actually better than the album cut.

4. Acrobat

5. AB, do I have to explain?

6. I'm gonna have to say the Salome CDs, what an insight into U2's process. Every fan should listen to them at least once.

7. Tough question, I would say the early 90's were U2's peak creatively. The second part there were moments of brilliance, moments of bandwagon, moments of wtf(and not in a good way), and moments of being too self conscious. I would say a few moments of Zooropa and few moments of Pop have not aged well, but the rest fairly well.

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) [My favorite song of all time]
2. Holy Joe (the mix known as the Garage Mix)
3. Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
4. Until the End of the World
5. Achtung Baby. It's my favorite album of all time. I love all the songs from this album and it has been my least favorite album at times and my favorite album. Perfect all the way through.
6. I don't have many but I love the PopMart from Mexico City bootleg from Dec of 1997. Great sound and great performances. The crowd was really into it too. It sounds way better than the DVD audio.
7. Most experimental period for sure. They were their bravest at this time and they made some of their best music. It's my favorite over any other period of the band. The music has aged really well and I listen to 90s U2 all the time. Whether it's Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, or even the Passengers project I love it all. It all has a stunning reinvention of themselves and U2 had balls, big balls to do what they did.

1. The Fly. It's just so symbolic of their whole '90s career, and it still sounds like nothing else they've ever done. (HMTM and Discotheque are also up there.)
2. Probably either Lady With The Spinning Head or Two Shots.
3. Now THIS one is challenging...um...probably a tie between the Perfecto remixes of Lemon and EBTTRT.
4. I'm gonna have to go with YBR...or Zooropa...or Ultraviolet...you know what, I can't choose.
5. Achtung Baby. Don't get me wrong, the other three are awesome, but AB laid the framework for the entire decade...there's really no other choice.

1)
Either One or Numb.

2)
Where Did It All Go Wrong or Lady With the Spinning Head.

3)
Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)

4)
Acrobat

5)
Achtung Baby

6)
Dunno.

7)
Innovative with all the perks of recreation at its finest.

1) The Fly. probably my favourite single ever. As a statement of intent for the 90's, nothing could have been better.

2) Lady WIth The Spinning Head. I'm in the minority but I prfer the original to the remix. 2nd place, Salome.

3)Lemon (perfecto) . One of the best remixes I've heard and was widely loved in clubland.

4) Toughest question.........Mofo, Your Blue Room, Slug, Love Is Blindness, So Cruel? Actually I do know...Until The End Of The World.

5) Achtung Baby. My fave album of all time by anyone.

6) I agree with BVS, the bootlegs from the recording of Achtung Baby.

7) From AB through to Passengers they were at their creative peak(though this started with TUF), only Pop showed a tiny chink in their armour. They combined their 80s beauty, passion and intensity with more thrilling, exciting and challenging sounds

1. The Fly. It was the song that showed everyone U2 had changed and it's a great song with some of Edge's best guitarwork.
2. I rarely listen to b-sides so /
3. Also /
4. Your Blue Room. One of my absolute favourite U2 songs. Some others that come close are Until The End Of The World, Please (album version), Zooropa, Love Is Blindness.
5. Surprise surprise... Achtung Baby.
6./
7. It's certainly my favourite decade of U2, just based on the music. From the few live shows I've seen the tours also seem awesome. I'd kill to be able to attend a ZOO TV show. U2 was actually "cool" in the 90's.

1) I'd have to agree with most here and say the Fly. Live and Studio versions just have an attitude that other U2 songs dont. That 'yeah we are shit hot, problem?' attitude that was to continue through ZooTV

2) Does Slow Dancing count? I recently discovered it and I have fallen completely in love with it. So haunting and delicate

3) Tough, I'd say Holy Joe (Garage Mix)

4) Excellent question. Zooropa is what springs to mind first, it blew my mind when I was 15, I never knew guitar could be pushed so far, and the mood and atmosphere that song conjures from thin air, regardless of when or where you listen to it never fails to amaze me. Ultraviolet and If You Wear That Velvet Dress (the album version is never properly acknowledged for it's beauty in my mind) are close seconds

5) Split between Achtung and Pop

6) Not a big enough bootlegger to know, the Leeds Popmart show was always a great listen however, balls to the walls badass

7) The material has aged like a fine wine, getting better on repeated listens, the layering on Achtung, Zooropa and Passengers is a subtle art, and one I rarely see anymore, the closest thing i've heard recently was the xx's album, a brilliant listen. I think most of all though, Pop sounds fresher today than ever, it was a misunderstood and mismarketed genuis way ahead of it's time. Listen to the beats and rythms, some of it is light-years ahead of its time, given rock's current trend of trying to insert hip-hop and dance beats.

As for the period in general I think it showed U2 to be the bravest and boldest band, inspiring others to break the mould (see: Radiohead). Yet i think this also works two ways, recently I found myself, so bored with modern popular rock music, saying to myself that more bands need their 'Achtung Baby'. that is to say, all the Coldplays, Killers, Kings of Leons can copy Joshua Tree all they want, but so far, no one has come out with a game changer as gravity-defying as Achtung. This period is unique for me, and my definite favourite.

One. From an objective point of view, it's a masterpiece of structure and sound (and possibly their best). Talk about their other famous songs, but One is an incredible heavy beast.

2) What is the best B-side(preferably non-remix, I've added a separate question for that)?

Lady With The Spinning Head.

3) I've added this question because it applies specifically to this era: What is the best remix?

Lemon (Perfecto Mix).

4) What is best album-track - that is, non-single album track - from this period?

Ultra Violet (Light My Way).

Achtung Baby. Re-invention of a band couldn't be more drastic and dramatic.

Popmart Sarajevo.

7) What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

It's U2's peak in creativity and where they mastered their craft (especially Edge as a guitar player). Nothing like the decade before or after, but that goes for every decade as each have their own sound. Most material has and will stand its test in time, which makes it harder to comprehend why they don't embrace the decade more. It consists of more than 3-4 Achtung Baby songs.

1. Discotheque

2. Lady with The Spinning Head

3. Lady With The Spinning Head ;)

4. Acrobat.

5. Achtung Baby

6. Zooropa Dublin 1993

7. Best.Period.Ever. Material is still as fresh as ever, it's more daring than anything in the 80s or 00s. I fucking love the 90s.

even better than the real thing

if the remix of lwtsh doesn't count, then i'd go with umm, salome.

lady with the spinning head (extended dance mix)

oh god oh god oh god this is hard. i can't narrow it down past two: zooropa and your blue room.

achtung baby, it's their best overall album career-wise too obvs.

oh wow, i don't know. i have tons of bootlegs but rarely listen to them. popmart leeds is great.

it's fucking awesome, their best period, though the redo of the sweetest thing is awful. i don't think any of it's aged too much, some of it sounds very 90s but it's still got a timeless quality to it.

Lemon would have been their best single, hadn't they cut it down in size
so The Fly

Lady With The Spinning Head.

meh

The Wanderer

Zooropa
it's strong conceptually and has the highest number of songs I love

Salome sessions

while the albums were good to very good, and the era was a necessity for U2 to stay relevant, it is still painfully overrated
I rate the 80s higher because of how effortlessly brilliant they were, the staggering number of classics it produced speaks for itself
the 00s I rate higher for songwriting skills

90s do score with regards to lyrics
it suited Bono well

It would have to be The Fly. Hated it when it first came out. Didn't even know U2 and thought it sounded like heavy metal (I was 14!). But it grew on me. That industrial, dirty, phasing guitar sound is the best. Filthy.

Lady With the Spinning Head.

Generally not big on remixes but Stay (Faraway, So Close!). I think it may have been a Craig Armstrong remix (?). It was issued free with a magazine like Select or something. God, remember when you used to buy music mags...., anyway. Loved it.

Acrobat.

Achtung Baby. Bono's lyrics are more bittersweet and the crooning / falsetto starts being incorporated a bit more with great effect. Electronic percussion layers and even a tremelo bass sound (Love is Blindness). Edge really brings out the abrasive tones. The best guitar part on that whole album for me is the pre solo bit in Love Is Blindness. Its like its sound tracking a slap or domestic abuse. It starts out out with such agressive intetions and then stalls and stutters almost apologetically.

...and because of the confusion. People weren't sure were the line was and even they looked caught up in it. Zoo TV looked like a very fun but sinister toy.

Stockholm

There is a version of One at an anti racism gig with a violin player (I think) on You Tube, anyway, they are sound checking and the guitar comes in really loud and shocks Bono so much his shades nearly fall off. Made me laugh.

The material from AB and Zooropa still sounds fresh. Lemon is timeless.

I don't believe the Fly ever left.

didn't really buy that many but love Stay with b side with frank

erm memory has lapsed!

love EBTTRT perfecto evocative of era for me

ooh that is one of those you answer and then immediately think but how could i have missed x y or z! but top of my head Gone

5) What is the best overall album (from four studio LPs) and why? also undecided between AB and POP

well i'm not really in the know because many i've not heard would love to if i ever have the time...but i love the roundhay pop because it brings back happy memories although wembley pop crowd were great

as you can prob tell i loved it have vivid memory of hearing the fly and thinking wtf but in a good way!

I actually can't answer these myself right away - it's really hard.

Mysterious Ways

Lady With The Spinning Head

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix) OR Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (Perfecto Remix)

Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

Achtung Baby, no question. Without it, we probably wouldn't have gotten Zooropa or POP, and U2 probably wouldn't be the same thing it is today.

My favorite is the August 28, 1993 ZooTV: Live in Dublin bootleg.

Personally, this is my favorite period of all U2's music. It's all great. The albums takes things that U2 had learned/discovered in their previous music and flips them upside down, kicks them around a few times, and then throws them in a blender - just hoping to come out with something.

I think the material has aged well...and by that I mean Achtung Baby. It's always been great. I think, when Zooropa and POP were released, they weren't as good as they have become now. I wish POP would receive more live recognition.

Finally answering my own questions. I love this era so much, I'm having a hard time choosing one song to answer these questions, so, I'm just answering them with a bunch of songs.

The Fly, One, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Mysterious Ways, Please, Lemon, Stay(Faraway, So Close), Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Mofo, Miss Sarajevo

Lady With The Spinning Head(Extended Dance Mix),Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad,Can't Help Falling In Love(cover),Night And Day(cover).North And South Of The River,Holy Joe(Garage Mix)

Even Better Than The Real Thing(v16 Exit Wound Mix),Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix),If God Will Send His Angels(Grand Jury/Big Yam Mix),Lemon(Perfecto Mix),Lemon(Bad Yard Club Mix), Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix),Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses(Temple Bar Mix)

Until The End Of The World,Ultraviolet(Light My Way),Acrobat,Love Is Blindness,Zooropa,Your Blue Room,Gone,Dirty Day

Achtung Baby - it's the album of their career, imo, one of very favorite albums ever. It's just magic to me. There's nothing I can say about it that hasn't already been said; it's a masterpiece.

ZooTV Stockholm(Dancing ZooTV),ZooTV Dublin(Zootopia),Popmart Santiago,Popmart Rotterdam(Popdream Believer),and the official releases

It's my favorite era of U2, although 84-89 is close. It's just great, creative, beautiful, colorful, inspiring, exciting, fresh, emotionally complex, and at times dark, rock music. I think it's aged very well. It still sounds as fresh as ever, except for parts of Pop.

1. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
2. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
3. none of the above
4. Does Zooropa count? If not, Ultraviolet
5. Achtung Baby

The Fly, One, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Mysterious Ways, Please, Lemon, Stay(Faraway, So Close), Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Mofo, Miss Sarajevo
Answering with them all isn't difficult of course. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom