Let Your Love Be Known

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to judge a hastily cobbled lyric and piano melody.

Assume they will overcook it and it will lose any soul it has.

Hard to judge a hastily cobbled lyric and piano melody.

Assume they will overcook it and it will lose any soul it has.

I’m guessing it was a one off due to the recent events of the virus, probably not an album candidate, but if they get the band to record it properly, could be a great charity single to raise funds to support relief efforts due to the economic impacts of this craziness.

I’m guessing it was a one off due to the recent events of the virus, probably not an album candidate, but if they get the band to record it properly, could be a great charity single to raise funds to support relief efforts due to the economic impacts of this craziness.

Probably their best chance at radio relevance

Leave it as is. It would be classic U2 to overthink it, overproduce it and then release a really shitty single.

The Edge will take 18 months to find some innovative way to slot the Glastonbury riff in.

Quite nice song though.

Forget about how awful this is for a moment (will.i.am?! Why?!)

Does Bono not have a home studio? Or a laptop? He couldn’t go into his shower and just re-record a vocal with his iPhone? They just slapped some reverb on the Instagram live video?

Yes there was silence
Yes there was no people here
Yes I walk through the streets of Dublin
and no one was near.
We all wait for the science
To make everything clear
Now I walk down the streets of London-town
It seems like everyone’s disappeared.
Oh. No one to reach
But I can ring
You can’t touch.
But you can, you can sing…
Across rooftops
Sing down the phone
Sing and promise me you won’t stop
Sing your love be known
Oh let your love be known.
Everybody talking about isolation Sure Listening
Everybody trying not to feel the fear Oh ohh
Time’s got me worried about my occupation, damn.
I can’t buy tissue for my tears, damn.
And maybe i said the wrong thing no you didn’t no you didn’t no you didn’t no
Yes I made you smile yes you did brother.
Everybody talk about social distancing
But we just want to go in a crowd
and just dance dance
away the pain. away the pain.
You can’t touch 
but you can, you can sing 
Across rooftops. Oh ho sing.
Sing to me down the phone oh oh oh
Sing and promise me you won’t stop
Sing and you’re never alone
And again
Sing as an act of resistance. c’mon
Sing though your heart is overthrown
Sing, when you sing there is no distance
So let your love be known
Though your heart is overthrown
Let your love be known
Though your heart is overthrown.
Let your love show.

Pretty good lyrics

The original version is one of my favorite things Bono has written in quite a while. I'm not listening to the remix, fuck that shit.

The original version is one of my favorite things Bono has written in quite a while.

giphy.gif

It's an empty compliment considering I thought SOE was their worst album to date and SOI was 5 1/2 years ago at this point.

But I do legitimately enjoy the chord progression, as it brings to mind several songs I already love, and the lyrics toe the line between direct and banal without throwing in unnecessary syllables and clunky metaphors. The vocal could be a lot better, but it's one of those moments where I felt closer to the artist for it.

Well, that's one opinion.

It’s a cute little thing bono did sitting at his piano. It came from the heart. It really wasn’t designed to be some mastery of poetry. It’s good lyrics for what it is.

Also, the collab with will.i.am and Jennifer Hudson is absolutely fantastic. A bunch of people who otherwise can put on million dollar productions are stitching together like... home videos of them singing... to make a cohesive song. Doing this because they’re all home bound... and the message is to sing as an escape.

Like, doesn’t have to be your kind of music, but it’s very real and doesn’t suffer the production fate you would expect with these names involved.

Back
Top Bottom