Least Favorite U2 Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rather it go back to an album that actually sucks. There aren't many of those when it comes to U2, but I would say that October comes the closest.
dude, come on. what songs on october suck? is that all is the closest i'd say to being a weak track on there, but it's still good. just needlessly placed. oh well, to each their own.

Here's my all-time, least-favorite-U2-album list. I'll add that this should be considered the definitive list. And whosoever agreeeth with this list shall not parish but have everlasting gobstoppers.

1. Zooropa (worst album, but includes a top 5 song in Stay)
2. Pop (good album...by, say, John Mellencamp standards)
3. October (sooo serious)
4. Rattle and Hum (If only it were a single album)
5. Boy (ring those bells, edge)
6. War (that an album this good is in the middle, wow)
7. Unforgettable Fire (Beautifully out of focus. Monet would be proud)
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind (a welcome return to U2)
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (their best collection of songs)
10. Joshua Tree (one of only two albums that employs true sonic and musical innovation to drive a great collection of songs toward a singular focus)
11. Achtung Baby (the other)

dude, come on. what songs on october suck? is that all is the closest i'd say to being a weak track on there, but it's still good. just needlessly placed. oh well, to each their own.

The truly skippable tracks:

Fire
With A Shout
Is That All? (horrific; doesn't even come close to being good)

Bono pisses me off on that album as well. A lot of lousy lyrics and vocals from him. It's tough to get as excited as he so clearly is about the music when he's the very person who's dragging it down. I think it's superb instrumentally, but for all the bitching people do about Pop being unfinished, this is the one that really deserves that specific criticism. It certainly doesn't come even close to Boy as far as cohesion and standout tracks are concerned.

The truly skippable tracks:

Fire
With A Shout
Is That All? (horrific; doesn't even come close to being good)

Bono pisses me off on that album as well. A lot of lousy lyrics and vocals from him. It's tough to get as excited as he so clearly is about the music when he's the very person who's dragging it down. I think it's superb instrumentally, but for all the bitching people do about Pop being unfinished, this is the one that really deserves that specific criticism. It certainly doesn't come even close to Boy as far as cohesion and standout tracks are concerned.
fire's my favourite track on there :reject:

well, the shitty lyrics are forgivable to me at least since bono "lost" his suitcase of lyrics. (which, btw, now that they've been "found" i wish the lyrics would be made public only so we could see if they're any better than what was recorded). but yes, in terms of being unfinished, october sounds way less finished than pop does. at least nothing on pop has lyrics like:

i fall
i fall down
i'm falling down
i fall down
when you fall down
when i'm falling down
is when you're falling down
when you fall down
i fall down
i fall down

i love the song, but the lyrics are pathetic.

I like October better than Achtung Baby. I like War better than Zooropa. And I think if you took the best from Pop and the best from ATYCLB, you'd have a great album.

For me it's a toss between October and War, but mainly because the latter did not age well at all. ATYCLB is close behind.

Says a lot about their genius when none of us can really come to a true consensus here. And, really, when we mean "worst album" I still think it's listenable, just our least favourite. This is just how good U2 is.

I was going to come in and mock but then changed the ol' mind.

To be honest, not including RAH/Passengers, yes it would probably be either October or the Bomb. Lemel summed up October well. There's some magical stuff on there, but it doesn't all come out right, it doesn't reach it's potential. Hutdab because it hasn't aged well, and there aren't as many 4/5 star songs on there for me as for others.

I guess I'd have to go with October, too.

A few years ago, Q magazine (UK) did one of their "buying guide" features, and it was on U2. One of the concessions they made was that there was very little disposable filler in the U2 catalogue, and I think this is quite right. Each album is quite good in its own right, and they all have at least 60% first-rate material (and some have 100%!).

While I do think Boy gets praised a bit too much in relation to how much October gets knocked, I will say October is the weakest album on balance. As has been noted countless times, it's Bono who is struggling the most on it; not only are his lyrics either too random or too simplistic (depending on the track), his voice still hasn't matured and in fact he's a bit off-key here and there, probably a sign that the record was just too rushed. Some of the arrangements are kind of weird (the guitar flourishes in "I Fall Down" do not work), and again indicate an album that was probably under-rehearsed and rushed.

I think, though, that much of the problem was simply the band's (particularly Bono's) approach. On Boy, they were easier to love because they were kids singing about childhood. But on October, they're kids singing about God and huge life issues, but doing so in a very unfocused, adolescent way, which is easy to dislike ("No one is blinder than he who will not see"!).

That's one reason why I think War is much better -- because they learned how to take their hugely ambitious approach (which is like instinct to them--they can't do without it) and mold it properly in songs that have the right dynamics to frame their approach. By comparison, October somehow exposed the band's weakness of having more ambition than the musical chops required to carry that out.

But anyway, since they were just kids and it's the inevitable "sophomore slump", October is still a very loveable "weakest album", but a weakest album it is.

Though not the weakest, Pop is probably the one I would rate most disappointing, simply because (a) there was such a long wait for it, and (b) it revealed them, for the first time, to be completely out-of-step with contemporary youth culture, trying to be cool (again, for the first time), and failing miserably.

Oh, I forgot the worst thing about October: the 4 unbelievably bad haircuts on the sleeve!

ATYCLB, second bomb. I hardly listen to those to albums anymore. The music doens't really challenge me in anyway. It's just sort of ... okay ... but definitely not great.

Interesting how many mentions of October being least favorite - even though I always thought it was a bit of a dip during this period, I still thought it was quite a fine work though. I do agree somewhat with the prior comment on "Is That All?" which I think is the weakest track (although still not that bad). Regarding the mentions of ATYCLB and Pop, I must say I disagree. While Pop was exploring in a different direction and ATYCLB was a return from that (sort of), I love both of them in their own ways.

Rattle And Hum

It's a mess, though is it really a proper album? It is classified as a studio album, despite the live tracks. While I am in the camp who would've much preferred a separate live album and studio album, even if you take the studio songs on R&H and the couple of b-sides, you've got something pretty average in my opinion.

The brilliant Heartland, Van Dieman's Land, Desire and Angel Of Harlem aside, it's a pretty unremarkable collection of songs for me. God Part II and Love Rescue Me are the two U2 songs I struggle most to find any enjoyment in listening to. Both have always been skippable. When Loves Comes To Town is a worthwhile venture with BB King, but not really my style. All I Want You is a nice enough song, but not as moving as other U2 songs that pursue a similar lyrical theme. Hawkmoon 269 has never done anything for me either.

If this isn't a proper album, my worst album proper would be either War or Zooropa

I personally like the Rattle & Hum album even though I recall it being referred to as being just a big ego vehicle. The cover of Helter Skelter was a mistake though, I feel. There is just too much of a Beatles stamp on this song for it to work as a cover song. Although their execution was competent, U2 failed to match the raw intensity of the original. U2 wasn't the only one to do this however. I seem to recall a Pat Benatar version of Helter Skelter that was quite lame (and I did like some of her other stuff). Interestingly though, U2's later covering of Happiness Is A Warm Gun was great. Here, they didn't "respect" the song, but completely reworked it in a much different way and therefore it turned out well.

I agree with most criticisms of October, Rattle and Hum, Pop, and ATYCLB.

I disagree wholeheartedly with those criticisms of Boy.

Rattle And Hum

It's a mess, though is it really a proper album? It is classified as a studio album, despite the live tracks. While I am in the camp who would've much preferred a separate live album and studio album, even if you take the studio songs on R&H and the couple of b-sides, you've got something pretty average in my opinion.

The brilliant Heartland, Van Dieman's Land, Desire and Angel Of Harlem aside, it's a pretty unremarkable collection of songs for me. God Part II and Love Rescue Me are the two U2 songs I struggle most to find any enjoyment in listening to. Both have always been skippable. When Loves Comes To Town is a worthwhile venture with BB King, but not really my style. All I Want You is a nice enough song, but not as moving as other U2 songs that pursue a similar lyrical theme. Hawkmoon 269 has never done anything for me either.

If this isn't a proper album, my worst album proper would be either War or Zooropa

God Part II is greater than you are.

Well, I love Rattle & Hum, maybe it's my third favorite. Depends on my mood. What a collection of songs! Even the b-sides from these times (mostly covers) are amazing, especially A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel. A song that matches Lady with Spinning Head and Levitate and maybe deserves the title "U2's best lost song".
To me, it works so well the way the live tracks mix with the studio songs. It has U2's best closer ever (All I Want Is You is probably U2's best romantic song ever too.) And I do enjoy Helter Skelter a lot and find it way better than The Beatles version (ok, I'm not a big Beatles fan, so it doesn't count.) God Part II, maybe the best song on the album, is U2's first step into Achtung Baby style, with lyrics that self-parody his persona as a singer fascinated with American way-of-life (my english is kinda bad, hope you get what I'm saying here.) The live tracks are also very interesting and show that powerful side of U2 and rock music in general: the concert. Desire, Hawkmoon 269, When Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem and Love Rescue Me are beautiful homages to the US and its musical part in the roots of rock'n'roll music. Therefore, this is one of the albuns where U2 manage to be cohesive and to stick to a theme (the homage) making an album that is enjoyable to listen from beginning to the end.

That's how I feel.

it was rattle and hum for a long time, but now i find that bomb is quiet a dull album.
i think that it has some good songs but the production makes it all sound very flat.

HTDAAB. Haven't listened to it since early 2006 and I can't say I regret this decision.

Though not the weakest, Pop is probably the one I would rate most disappointing, simply because (a) there was such a long wait for it, and (b) it revealed them, for the first time, to be completely out-of-step with contemporary youth culture, trying to be cool (again, for the first time), and failing miserably.

Maybe where you were, but here in the UK in '96/'97 electronica/dance culture was the dog's bollocks, while brit pop and other retro nonsense such as grunge and post-grunge were thankfully on life support.

I guess October. Maybe that's a cop-out. Some great songs mind you, but of all the albums, I listen to that one the least. I guess the one album I like a lot less than everyone else would be AB. I like Boy, War, UF, R&H, JT, and Bomb all more than AB. I like most of the songs but I don't like Bono's vocals from that period. I can't think of a U2 song I like better in studio than live, but I never got into the ZooTV/Bono alter ego thing so even the live stuff from that period just doesn't stack up to my favorites. Still one of the greatest albums of all time though, I'll give it that.

October and Rattle and Hum are the albums I've listened to least admittedly, but what I have heard of them they weren't as enjoyable as the other stuff.

Rattle and Hum, despite it's central theme, feels disjointed at times, and October just feels like a step down from Boy.

An honourable mentioned to second half of ATYCLB(with the exception of WILATW), which almost succeeds in sinking the amazing first half. Almost.

my order with my favourite at the top down to my least favourite!

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. All that you Can't
4. Bomb
5. Pop
6. Rattle & Hum
7. Zoopropa
8. Unforgetable Fire
9. War
10. Boy
11. October

ATYCLB. I never liked it, not from my first listen. There are individual tracks I love, but it's the album that features the most songs I think are complete junk. I'm not a huge fan of October, either, but it's got more of a spark for me than ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom