Latest U2.com Stream: Chicago 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
https://www.u2.com/news/title/were-in-a-place-called-vertigo/

Chicago 2005 is streaming for 48 hours from Saturday. This show is interesting:

- The light curtains were not their best presentation idea.

- Stories for Boys snippet in Vertigo is awesome, I’ve no idea why this one doesn’t come back more often.

- The Elevation fake-out intro worked really well.

- The Cry/Electric Co with Bullet for Butterfly Wings was huge on this tour. It’s great that it came back in ‘15 and ‘18, but I’m partial to the Vertigo versions.

- Beautiful Day is one of many examples in this show of 2005 being the best year for Bono’s voice after 1993.

- I Iike that they left in the mistake in Edge’s Miracle Drug solo. He’s human after all!

- This tour began the trend of Bono’ wearing sunglasses for almost the whole show. If you want to see his eyes... you’ve got Sometimes.

- Those Variax acoustic/electrics Edge used in LAPOE and The Fly were very weird instruments. They haven’t been seen since, and I don’t miss them.

- Bullet from this tour gets a bad rap - it’s not my favorite version, but I prefer the one in this show from some later in the tour, the solo became more aggressive as time went by, and I like that they were still fully committed to the idea here.

- Miss Sarajevo later in the tour was brilliant, but it’s nice to see RTSS get an outing.

- It shows a strong back catalog - and some terrible presentation decisions - that Pride/Streets/One is the worst part of this show by a long way. Although Bono’s run to the top of the ellipse in Streets on this tour is I think the last time he ran around the stage at any distance.

- There were some powerful versions of Zoo Station and The Fly on this tour, and audio wise the Chicago ones are great. But Hamish Hamilton seems to have delegated directing these two to an intern.

- I prefer this version of Original of the Species to the electric guitar/orchestra version in Milan. Also, a shot of Bono in this song from this show would be used in iPod ads and boxes for the next several years.

...looking forward to watching it again, it’s been a while. Hoping for better quality than the Slane gig from a couple of months back.

Last edited:
What a farce... I've got this show in several versions on dvd. Why on earth not a show that isn't released??!!!
They keep coming with material that isn't exclusive. Maybe interesting for new fans but not for me.

Now waiting on 'new' vinyl reissues in a different colour...

Has this always been available in 1080? I don’t think I’ve seen it in this quality before. Looks incredible.

(I mean, I didn’t have a big OLED tv in 2005 either, but I don’t think that’s the only difference...).

I was never sure about NYD either in that spot specifically or on the Vertigo tour generally. Opinion hasn’t changed over time. Feels like a “well, we’ve got to put something here...” sort of spot.

As the daughter of a very good lighting salesman who had to know his products and what they would do for different clients (he lit the top of the Woolworth Building back in the ?late '80's - early 90's): I loved :love: the light screen curtains!

Wow! Can’t believe they actually remastered it. Picture is great, and the audio is marginally clearer, even without a surround system to play the 5.1 properly.

As the daughter of a very good lighting salesman who had to know his products and what they would do for different clients (he lit the top of the Woolworth Building back in the ?late '80's - early 90's): I loved :love: the light screen curtains!

The light curtain is FAR MORE impressive in this detail. In SD it was a blur of colour, but when you can make out the bulbs and see things with clarity it is actually quite cool.

I really want them to release more live shows on vinyl.

I would love it to be things we haven’t heard before, but at this stage I’d settle for the live shows they’ve released.

The light curtain is FAR MORE impressive in this detail. In SD it was a blur of colour, but when you can make out the bulbs and see things with clarity it is actually quite cool.

Yeah. I enjoyed them much more today than I had remembered from watching it years ago. I’d forgotten about the lights around the ellipse, as well.

It’s also pretty interesting to watch the band on their last tour with a hit. They were playing really well, with a great set of songs, a good stage set, to an audience who loved Vertigo, COBL, and Sometimes as much as they did Mysterious Ways. It’s a great moment to have caught on film.

The remastering is incredible! Very nice job and blows the DVD away. I never completed watching the DVD due to how awful it looked. I had an HD Plasma tv when thus came out and it was awful looking. The worst release visually they put out in my opinion. Now it looks amazing and is like a whole new show!

Well worth using whatever tools might hypothetically exist online to identify the .m3u8 playlist and download/assemble the pieces to keep.

I’ve hypothetically been able to get the last few ripped, but this one just is not working. Anyone prepared to hook me up would be greatly appreciated!

Superb upscaling and sound. Makes so much difference to the show

Just think how good u2.com could be , they could have their own streaming service and have all these releases permanently in stream . Upscaled. The service could be so much better couldn’t it . If not release them to Netflix or some other streaming service .

If anyone has a link they could DM, that would be much appreciated! Also, is the audio from the Sydney remaster still floating around?

Speaking of alternate ways of getting acquiring media on the internet... it's been a long time since I've been hip to where to find such things. Are there any general hubs that y'all can recommend? Is BitTorrent still the main thing? Not expecting, but gladly accepting links and suggestions via DM :reject:

I just tried to buy a digital copy of Rattle and Hum and... it doesn't seem to exist via legal means (that I could find, anyway). I know R&H has rights issues and red tape, but c'mon.

Not sure if the Sydney audio is floating anywhere but while the video was upscaled and an improvement to the DVD at least to me, the audio wasn't remastered. It was the DTS track which is on the DVD. If you have it and a DVD drive in a laptop or PC you can rip it very easily.

I don't know why people ever downgraded this show. The first stretch through The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is just fucking gold and puts it above Elevation in Boston right off the bat.

I don't know why people ever downgraded this show. The first stretch through The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is just fucking gold and puts it above Elevation in Boston right off the bat.

Big call that , u2 Boston was the first u2 dvd I had and I watched it to death . Totally disagree myself but I have a big sentimental attachment to Boston

That sentimental attachment is why many here overrate it. I'm trying to look at this as subjectively as possible. My first U2 video was Rattle & Hum on VHS well before ZooTV happened so Elevation doesn't bring back any special memories in that regard.

Slane Castle > Boston anyway, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom