Larry, Adam, Edge. Who is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"who is best at what they do" - that was the first post in the thread.

Bono is a better singer/performer than the other three are with bass/drums/guitar.

Still, I beg to differ... I don't know of any other member of the band who messes up live more than Bono. I think he screws up more than the other three combined, but it may just be a matter of being in the forefront that his mistakes are more noticeable.

This thread is about comparing apples to oranges to lemons. It really comes down to personal preference, and what you enjoy most about their music. In some songs, I like the vocals best, but in others it's the guitar or the bass or the drums. But overall, I don't really have a preference - I think all four of them are the best at what they do.

goat

Still, I beg to differ... I don't know of any other member of the band who messes up live more than Bono. I think he screws up more than the other three combined, but it may just be a matter of being in the forefront that his mistakes are more noticeable.

Well here's another perspective on that(if you're talking about lyrics)...

One has 3 chords to learn, or a few different patterns, and one has 22 different lines...:shrug:

But that's one of the things that makes his drumming so brilliant. It meshes perfectly with everything else going on in the song. Larry's drumming serves the music, as does Edge's guitar playing.

I'd hardly describe that as brilliant, but I do think simplicity is severely underrated, especially when it comes to U2. People often mistake the lack of self-serving guitar solos, drum fills, and complicated bass riffs, as a sign of weakness when it's definitely quite the opposite. The whole "sum is greater than the parts" deal is what I love about them.

Regardless, I still hold to my original answer that Edge is most boss outa the three. Not just in the technical aspect, but as people have already said, he has a distinct sound, and most legends tend to have distinct sounds... just sayin.

But that's one of the things that makes his drumming so brilliant. It meshes perfectly with everything else going on in the song. Larry's drumming serves the music, as does Edge's guitar playing. In the same way Edge is brilliant without Clapton-like solos, Larry is brilliant without cluttering up the music and showing off how complex he can make a song. You ever notice session drummers or drummers from other bands who try to play One, for example... It just doesn't sound the same.

I know other people have already mentioned this as well, but just the fact that Larry is able to play concerts in huge stadiums and keep basically perfect time is incredible.

...except on Dirty Day, when he fucking ruins it with a mailed-in performance

So, Larry Mullen Jr., Adam Clayton and The Edge. Which one is the best at what they do?
I mean this like this:
Is Edge better in playing guitar then Larry is playing drums etc.

So who do you think is the best at what they do? (bono not included)

In terms of who is best at playing their instrument, for me it has to be The Edge. But Bono's voice has contributed more to U2's rise and rise than larry's drumming, Adam's bass and edge's guitar/keyboards.

Back
Top Bottom