"Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger" by Neil McCormick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone here read the book or seen the movie?

Apparently the movie was a poor adaptation (poor in the level as "The Girl who Played with Fire" from the Millennium Trilogy- Poor)

I havent read the book yet, but apparently its a book that gives an interesting account about someone who lived on the periphery of U2's lives. Especially given Ivan Mccormick - Neil's brother, was one of the kids (one of 7) who signed up to join Larry Mullen Jr's then unnamed high school band.
The story "told" in the movie was Ivan dropped out of the band because Neil wanted Ivan to stick with him to pursue their own musical interests, not in competition but in parallel to the band Ivan dropped out of

The end result of the story? Even though Neil Mccormick didnt reach audiences of "2 billion people" he still had a story to tell, and it didnt make him any more or less of a person than 4 of the most famous people to ever come from Ireland.
The other point from this movie was how people do become obsessed with comparing themselves against other people, especially when someone they know becomes known to the masses

My critique of the movie? Robert Sheehan gave an excellent performance as the loyal Ivan. Even though he wasnt in the film much- Martin Mccann is a damn fine Bono lookalike. But! Ben Barnes - the guy who played Neil Mccormick looked like Bono regardless - and that Bono from the Joshua Tree-era

Both the book and the movie were a lot of fun, McCormick's great. And his Tweets about various U2 related matters over the past year have been helpful, interesting and 100% accurate (which isn't always the case in the world of Twitter). :)

I read the book and saw the movie. They were very different, but both enjoyable. The book really gave a behind-the-scenes look at trying to break into the music business, and all of the challenges and ugliness around that. The movie was much more about jealousy, with Neil constantly living in U2's shadow.

And granted, Bono is not a tall man, but the Bono character in the movie was about 4 feet tall and nothing but eyebrow! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom