Killers are the NEXT U2???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well technically wouldn't they have to be the new Coldplay, since according to most, Coldplay is the new U2?

I wonder who U2 will be this time around :hmm:?

To be fair he is being respectful there unlike some other bands who always like to take a swipe at the bigger boys.

Do you think that when U2 were the Killers' age, they weren't looking to knock whomever was at the top from their pedestal? I think that given their ambitious spirit, they probably did, only we didn't really know it because information mediums like the Internets weren't available back then.

Do you think that when U2 were the Killers' age, they weren't looking to knock whomever was at the top from their pedestal? I think that given their ambitious spirit, they probably did, only we didn't really know it because information mediums like the Internets weren't available back then.

Exactly. Isn't it interesting that U2 made a very atmospheric and moody record right after the huge success of The Police's Synchronicity which had those same elements?

Hasn't U2 actually made a pretty decent album or two? The only pretty good Killers album is Hot Fuss, and even that has some shit songs on it.

Then again, lack of quality songs never stopped Coldplay.

I think the Killers will actually flame out sooner than most expect. I actually think Coldplay will long out last them. I really like some of their songs, and I personally play a mean "All These Things That I've Done", but they lack "something" to take it to the level of a U2 or a Rush.

U2 still had this attitude when they were 40 with ATYCLB and reapplying for "best band in the world" crap. So you can't really blame other bands when they say they want to be the best.

This is one of the least eloquent quotes I've read:

"(We can replace U2 on the top) pedestal. They're getting old. You know there's going to be a couple of songs on (their) new record you're just going to love. But there's gotta be... I dunno. It feels like it's time."

Awful.

"(We can replace U2 on the top) pedestal. They're getting old. You know there's going to be a couple of songs on (their) new record you're just going to love. But there's gotta be... I dunno. It feels like it's time."

Awful.

Sounds more like some guy posting on a forum than the lead singer of a popular band! :lol:

U2 still had this attitude when they were 40 with ATYCLB and reapplying for "best band in the world" crap. So you can't really blame other bands when they say they want to be the best.

Although I was not thrilled with Bono's tiresome, repetitive "reapplying" statement on the club tour, I tended to view it as more of an acknowledgement that they were returning to the rock/pop mainstream or re-embracing their stripped-down roots (fill in any cliche you want) following their mid-to-late 90's output which, for better or for worse, altered the way they were perceived by the masses out there. I didn't really take seriously its literal implication that they were aiming to take down the Stones, Bruce or whomever else. The Killers statement is a bit different in that they expressly identified U2. In any event, it seems pretty trivial.

The Killers are one of the few bands I like from my generation. But theyve preety much lost most of their fan base already

Awful.

Eloquent or not, I think it might also say a lot about that site (Contactmusic). It's basically a music tabloid. They cut up some interviews, construct some controversial soundbytes and hey! you have an 'article'. I'm wondering from which interview these quotes came from. And what the context is of the whole interview.

I mean, a quote like "(We can replace U2 on the top) pedestal." is just rubbish reporting. They use just 1 word of an interview and then create a sentence out of it.
:tsk:

He says, "(We can replace U2 on the top) pedestal. They're getting old. You know there's going to be a couple of songs on (their) new record you're just going to love. But there's gotta be... I dunno. It feels like it's time."

I dunno...after all the good stuff I've heard Brandon Flowers say about Bono and U2, I'm inclined to believe this is a quote taken out of context.

I admit The Killers are #2 in my heart. A distant #2, but still #2. Because, really, who doesn't want a lead singer with a little ego? I mean... :bono: ...hello?

indeed

Although I was not thrilled with Bono's tiresome, repetitive "reapplying" statement on the club tour, I tended to view it as more of an acknowledgement that they were returning to the rock/pop mainstream or re-embracing their stripped-down roots (fill in any cliche you want) following their mid-to-late 90's output which, for better or for worse, altered the way they were perceived by the masses out there. I didn't really take seriously its literal implication that they were aiming to take down the Stones, Bruce or whomever else. The Killers statement is a bit different in that they expressly identified U2. In any event, it seems pretty trivial.

:yes: Funny how that line gets misunderstood.

Bono did say "we want to fight the music on the charts because I do think we're better" around War, and there's that line "I think there's something magical about our band, like Beatles or Stones or The Who" from a very young, pre-War Bono. Different than the macho stuff along the lines "yeah we'll take out ____ from the top" Flowers and Chrissy Martin use.

The difference ? U2 has delivered on their talk, all the "next U2" have yet to do so.

Exactly. Isn't it interesting that U2 made a very atmospheric and moody record right after the huge success of The Police's Synchronicity which had those same elements?

Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were in no way a factor either.

Back
Top Bottom