Killers are the NEXT U2???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, while watching (for the 50th time...) "Hold me, Thrill me, kiss me, kill me" (POP in Mexico DVD) with some friends last night I can assure you:

- No other band will never have the same magnitude of U2 !! :drool:

(Sorry for being terribly honest and humble..) :sexywink:

Go on.. Coldplay, Killers... the time is yours: do your best ! Who knows...someday ???

:tsk:

of course these other bands are gonna get trash-talked on a U2 forum. Of course. It makes a lot of sense, really. I bet on Coldplay, The Killers, or Arctic Monkeys threads, bands like U2 get bashed (the same way, and for the same reason people here bash The Rolling Stones).

of course these other bands are gonna get trash-talked on a U2 forum. Of course. It makes a lot of sense, really. I bet on Coldplay, The Killers, or Arctic Monkeys threads, bands like U2 get bashed (the same way, and for the same reason people here bash The Rolling Stones).

I never bash other bands cause all of them deserves respect and reliability.. They´re all fighting for a better position worldwide in the music history AND the fact that many of them want to reach the same level as U2 clearly shows WHO is U2 as a rock band comparing with all the others...:rockon:

Why many of them want to reach U2..??. all singers want to share the stage with U2... ???!! I think the answer is clearly obviuos..

Um The only band that I think can put a better show then U2 can is Pink Floyd but the killers??? they will never be able to put a great show like U2 can. :)

By the way, while watching (for the 50th time...) "Hold me, Thrill me, kiss me, kill me" (POP in Mexico DVD) with some friends last night I can assure you:

- No other band will never have the same magnitude of U2 !! :drool:

(Sorry for being terribly honest and humble..) :sexywink:

Go on.. Coldplay, Killers... the time is yours: do your best ! Who knows...someday ???

:tsk:

Um The only band that I think can put a better show then U2 can is Pink Floyd but the killers??? they will never be able to put a great show like U2 can. :)

If they're still around in ten years, perhaps The Killers, Coldplay, and Arctic Monkeys will be able to put on as good a show as U2. Time will tell. Amazing live bands, however, haven't gotten the necessary exposure. Mute Math and Ours are both amazing live bands, but don't get enough radio/commercial exposure, and therefore will never have a chance. Most of what gets famous these days is gimmick and has little shelf life. That doesn't mean U2 are better performers than those bands--it simply means that the industry has changed, and very little time, trouble, and effort are given to new, young bands to develop. Don't get two hit singles on an album and you might as well retire, because the label's gonna lose interest. Therefore, bands need catchy, gimmicky hits that aren't taken seriously, and therefore are panned as poseurs.

Yea, not the next U2.

Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire were all released within a span of 5 years.

Acrtic Monkey's debut album and Favourite Worst Nightmare, and quite a few of their one-off singles, were all released within about 3 years, and they should have their third album out pretty soon.

And possibly write memorable songs too

Some would argue that Mardy Bum, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor and Leave Before The Lights Come On would be as memorable as Out Of Control, I Will Follow, Gloria.

I'm only trying to draw a parallel between U2's EARLY career and the Arctic Monkeys to date.

Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire were all released within a span of 5 years.

Acrtic Monkey's debut album and Favourite Worst Nightmare, and quite a few of their one-off singles, were all released within about 3 years, and they should have their third album out pretty soon.

Yeah, but from 1980 to 1983 U2 went from Boy to WAR.

And their singer did a side-project. But you already know that, I'm sure. :happy:

Did, but I've never heard it. I'm not necessarily a huge Arctics fan, I just think they're in a good position to become as big as U2, if things fall their way and they make the right moves.

Arctic Monkeys are not good enough to be U2. They are not even that good.

Arctic Monkeys are not good enough to be U2. They are not even that good.

Actually, each of the musicians in the band is more talented at their respective instrument than the members of U2. A lot of people simply won't like Arctic Monkeys as much because they're too poppy/throwaway (for now) and/or a dislike of the singer's voice (which is odd as he sounds like John Lennon doing deadpan).

I think Alex Turner is a gifted lyricist and has a charismatic vocal presence, but his band's music is IMO pretty average. And I might turn out to be wrong of course, but it could be to their detriment that they got so much exposure and hype so early in their career.

Actually, each of the musicians in the band is more talented at their respective instrument than the members of U2. A lot of people simply won't like Arctic Monkeys as much because they're too poppy/throwaway (for now) and/or a dislike of the singer's voice (which is odd as he sounds like John Lennon doing deadpan).

But they can't ever ever be as good as U2. :angry:

I'm scared. :sad:

Well we don't know if they could ever be as good as U2! Let's wait and see.

I wouldn't be surprised if many neutrals would rate Arctic's first two albums ahead of Boy and October if they were asked to listen and compare the albums.

I really never considered AM to be a threat for U2s position, I thought it would mainly be Radiohead and Coldplay.

Though do AM put emotion into their songs like U2 do?

I've only heard a couple of their songs.

you´ve got my point. :yes: That´s exactly what I was talking about: Pink Floyd really HAS its own magnitude... It´s a legend in its own lifetime.

Serioulsy talking: I´ve never - ever heard about this band in my life - Arctic Monkeys - :ohmy: and I´m usually very into music in general ... so..:scratch:
hmm.. did I miss something ?!?

I really never considered AM to be a threat for U2s position, I thought it would mainly be Radiohead and Coldplay.

Though do AM put emotion into their songs like U2 do?

I've only heard a couple of their songs.

Well, like Boy, AM's debut is focused upon some of the frustrations of youth, albeit expressed and motivated by different inspiration.

Personally, when I listen to the Arctic Monkeys' I could understamd why some might find their to be something monotone about Alex Turner's vocal, but what he says and how he says it still seems pretty full-on earnest.

Wow, I sure started a MONSTER of a thread, huh? Hadn't been on since I posted it. Some really good discussion's though. Some not so much, but for the most part a fun read.

Serioulsy talking: I´ve never - ever heard about this band in my life - Arctic Monkeys - :ohmy: and I´m usually very into music in general ... so..:scratch:
hmm.. did I miss something ?!?
[/B]

Sorry, but you can't be keeping up with music if you haven't heard of them. They skyrocketed in the UK and were being downloaded and shared in the US long before the album was officially released here.

Indeed, but there's no way they'll ever make an album that sells 20 million copies. No one can anymore. The comparison doesn't work.

Doesn't that just make the Killers totals much more impressive then? In a climate were sales are lower Killers are doing better than early U2 still. I'd say how big the Killers will become depends on their next album if it sells less than Sam's Town than the band will probably slowly become less and less popular but if it's a bigger hit the band could well become huge.

Then again the biggest sellers music over the last few years have been 2006 Amy Winehouse 10.5 million, 2007 High School Musical 2 Soundtrack 6 million and 2008 Coldplay 5 million

So my money's on HSM being the next U2 :hyper:

BEETHOVEN: THE NEXT MOZART?
11 November 1788

Ludwig van Beethoven -- a promising pianist from Bonn, whose technical approach has often been compared to that of Mozart's -- dazzled Viennese patrons today with several original concertos. We at Vienna Media descended upon him like flies after his performance, eager to badger him about his next composition.

When asked if he thought he would be able to top Mozart's latest work, Symphony No. 41 in C major, the young German became visibly agitated. "Ja, of course I would," he replied. "That one was a bit disappointing, no? A few bright moments, but nothing like the Mozart I know and love. The piano concerto I am working on right now is quite brilliant, and I'm sure it will beat the Scheiße out of anything Mozart has written over the past few months, or anything he will write in the future. I will knock him off his pedestal. It feels like it's time."

After being told that we had a preliminary copy of Mozart's opera-in-progress [ed. note: tentatively titled 'Die Zauberflöte'] that was also quite brilliant, Beethoven dismissed us with a scoff. "Please. Anyone can compose a Singspiel. Mozart is getting older now, and his ideas aren't as fresh as they once were. Just you wait until I finish my first symphony - ten years from now, people will be saying Wolfgang Who?"

(I'm bored and need an outlet for my procrastination.)

well played.

Sorry, but you can't be keeping up with music if you haven't heard of them. They skyrocketed in the UK and were being downloaded and shared in the US long before the album was officially released here.

Oh..is that english indie-rock and post-punk band who released "Who the Fuck are the Arctic Monkeys ?" ...:ohmy: (Google search)

By the name of the album I´m probably NOT the only one who haven´t heard about them before...:lol:

Oh man, this made my day! You bet :lmao:

i am a killers fan too, but it's articles and statements like that will prevent them getting larger than bands that are extremely successful and lasting.

Several years back, Creed stated that their next album was their "Joshua Tree". While the album did yield a token hit song, overall it floundered (compared to earlier Creed work) and the group disbanded shortly thereafter.

In contrast, one never heard U2 say things like, "This is going to be our 'Sgt. Peppers' album." That's because as much as U2 adored the Beatles, they remained U2.

I think groups like The Killers should learn from both U2 and Creed.

And I love GibsonGirl's mockery. :applaud: Really, it's ridiculous to say that there will be a few good songs, but eh, it's time. Time for what? For the Killers to wow us with their amazing catalog of songs that sound the same? I haven't heard any Killers' song that I love nearly as much as U2. Once the Killers produce several big hit songs and albums, maybe I'll agree. Right now, sad as it may be, Coldplay has more success than the Killers.

Back
Top Bottom